Need advice on knee pain (Read 592 times)

Hi all, I know someone here will have some good feedback for me. Background: I am training for a HM on March 2 (my first) using the HM schedule on this site: http://www.littlerockmarathon.com/Training/TrainingSchedule.cfm My schedule now is: Sunday - full body weights Monday - 3 miles Tuesday - full body weights Wednesday - 3-4 miles (depends on week) Thursday - 3-4 miles (depends on week) Friday - OFF Saturday LONG (this week 8 miles) This past Saturday I started having some knee pain in my left knee, on the outside (where it bends). This came up around mile 7 of a 10 mile run. My lower back was sore, my hamstrings were tight as hell, my hips were sore, I think these pains were all related. My knee hurt like the dickens all day on Saturday, I did take Advil before bed and woke up much better on Sunday. (DH and I are TTC so Advil is not something I should take much of) I went to the chiro on Monday; I have issues with my lower back going out of alignment and she said that is what caused my pain on Saturday. She pushed on a muscle on the upper part of my left butt cheek and it hurt SO BAD I almost cried; she said it was all cramped up and tight. I felt much better after I left, although my butt cheek still hurts when I rub that muscle. Today during my 4 mile run my knee again started to hurt around 1.5 miles in. It felt ok when I walked or sprinted so I actually did intervals for the last couple miles to get through. Now, it aches again, even just walking around at work. My shoes are only a month old; they are NB 1223 and I upgraded from the 1221 and then 1222 so that should not be the problem. What causes pain in this area, is it again related to this pulled muscle in my lower back/butt? Should I rest tomorrow and Saturday? I hate to miss many runs since right now is the peak of my training and I start to taper in just 2 weeks. Undecided I've tried to go slow and increase my mileage as recommended and I've not missed many of the runs on the schedule. I know I need to ice it and I will do that tonight.
    ---- Cynthia
      Sounds like your IT Band. You've already negated the possibility of old shoes causing it, so it is probably overuse. Here is a link to a previous discussion on the topic. http://runningahead.com/forums/topic/41e9078ec72643a09537075b43ad6f9c/1
        Thanks for the link. I have a foam roller at home and I will pull that out tonight for some stretching. I need to do some more research on ITB stretches I guess! Smile
        ---- Cynthia
          Maybe a dumb question, but what is TTC ? update: did some googling, it's either "toronto transit commission" or "ttc telephone company" or "trying to conceive" ....im guessing the latter. Smile
          sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

Also make sure you strengthen your abductors. The best long-term cure for ITBS is to keep them strong. In addition to a foam roller, you might want to try "The Stick" - it is really good for relaxing those trigger points deep within the muscles (and its more portable).

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

Member Since 2008

Cynthia, it does sound like the IT band. stretches will help, but there is also an ITB strap (google it) you can buy online that is not expensive. It works wonders.
                What are my options for cross training as I allow my leg time to heal? I made the decision to forgo the HM on March 2 and focus on a 5k instead. I am lifting 3x a week. Can I walk? Bike? Swimming is out as my gym does not have a pool and I hate the elliptical, I'd rather just stab myself in the eye Dead. I really do like walking and am hoping I can do 3 days of that instead but if I would just be impeding my healing process I'll forgo it. I am working on stretching, strengthening and using the foam roller.
                ---- Cynthia