People determined to show that marathons are bad for us (Read 1411 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

A new study says some of us are scarring our hearts. I would think if this was significant, we would have even more marathon deaths.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-07/marathon-triathlon-training-can-temporarily-damage-the-heart-study-finds.html

Slo

I didn't read the article. I don't need too.

Even in the face of undeniable evidence we woud still do what we do.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-07/marathon-triathlon-training-can-temporarily-damage-the-heart-study-finds.html

So true --  and besides --- for every article that talks about the how bad something is, the next day or week is another atricle saying how good it is....

Why even bother paying attention to that nonsense and just start training for your next 26.2 'er....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

I couldn't find the published article. Only the Bloomberg piece. Here is the abstract

Interesting. No clinical correlation was drawn from the small study. It would be useful to continue to follow endurance athletes through their life. 

Cardiovascular risk study from same journal

2006 study of 20 2003 Boston runners

more here for fun

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

In the words of the late great Douglas Adams:

"I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it." Smile

Feeling the growl again

Many studies have not shown acute changes to the heart as a result of running a marathon.  None have demonstrated that any changes are truly lasting or pathological.

Many studies have also shown the health benefits of endurance training.  Everything is a tradeoff in life, with positives in negatives.  Given proven health benefits and unproven health risks (for most normal folks), I think I'll keep training, thank you.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

Life will kill you

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Doc, my tooth hurts

I'm assuming there must be some statistic calculating odds of dying from running.  My guess is they are pretty low, and I'll take my chances.

Problem solved.  Run more.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/114/22/2325.full

Myocardial Injury and Ventricular Dysfunction Related to Training Levels Among Nonelite Participants in the Boston Marathon

"We found that the extent and the degree of the transient cardiac injury and dysfunction were significantly influenced by the degree of preparation and training. Temporary changes indicating heart stress occurred in marathon runners who trained less than 35 miles per week in the months before the event. However, these changes were milder or absent in those who ran more than 45 miles per week. The protection afforded by training was independent of age and gender. Notably, however, no data suggest that there are long-term sequelae to the biomarker and echocardiographic changes in this setting, and indeed, in contrast, many studies suggest that endurance exercise is associated with a reduction in cardiovascular risk and an increased life expectancy. Our study does suggest that, to protect against elevations in cardiac biomarkers and echocardiographic evidence of cardiac dysfunction associated with endurance exercise, appropriate preparation is important."

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

325th place or bust!

Running is stupid.

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Running is stupid.

+1 and I run on!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

What they're calling cardiac injury, stress, and fibrosis may be the heart's normal strengthening process.

Half Fanatic #846

I'm in pretty bad shape - heel spurs, an enlarged heart, a pulse rate that's too low, and I don't breathe as much as most people. I didn't have all these problems when I smoked. Help me!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

No Talent Drips

I'm in pretty bad shape - heel spurs, an enlarged heart, a pulse rate that's too low, and I don't breathe as much as most people. I didn't have all these problems when I smoked. Help me!

I want a smoking smily face to go with my +1 on this.

Dei Gratia

#artbydmcbride

smokin

Runners run