Chrontrack timing systems and race STARTS UPHILL (Read 455 times)

De-slacking in progress

This is my first ever "chip" timed 5k race (only 2nd race anyway). I've read there is not starting mats at some races so how does it get your correct finish time once you cross the finish line mat? I've read stories where the ppls watches matched their chip time pretty close. So for my only second race- and running a first time race event- the race starts by running directly up a 5% incline hill for about 1/2 mile ( which doesn't bother me- I live for hills), but what sucks is that for the next 1.5+ its all downhill. I drove the course today on the way to work. I HATE downhills. Then it ends up in a small park walking path for 1.3 miles thats only wide enough for 2 ppl wide. This is one of those championship running series races where u earn point thoughout the year- some of the races have had 2000+ runners and other only 300- should be neat to see us tripping over each other on the walking path run part. Gonna run so hard this time I plan on making a medic ask me if I'm ok or not Yes

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

This is my first ever "chip" timed 5k race (only 2nd race anyway). I've read there is not starting mats at some races so how does it get your correct finish time once you cross the finish line mat?
      start time = gun time finish time = chip time

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

The shirtless wonder

This is my first ever "chip" timed 5k race (only 2nd race anyway). I've read there is not starting mats at some races so how does it get your correct finish time once you cross the finish line mat?
        If it's a small race there might not be a sensor at the start of the race. If that's the case you won't have a true net time (chip time). That's probably not a big deal as, depending on the number of runners, it will only take a few seconds to reach the starting line. Well, I should say that for me a few seconds on a 5k isn't a big deal. For other runners it might be significant. I recommend using your stopwatch. I understand that it is extremely rare but timing equipment can malfunction. It happened this year at the Utica Boilermaker 15k (a race with 10,000 runners). Greg