Unbelievable - Injured from swimming - Just unbelievable. (Read 1388 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

So I swam freestyle this morning for 50 minutes.  Stopped made sure to get a drink of G2 from my water bottle (due to low blood sugar levels the other day).     Rest for another minute and then go to get out of the pull by pulling myself out on the side.  Bam cramp.  Painfull cramp.  lasted for a minute and then I hobbled over to some steps.  Waited about a minute and got in hot tub - whirl pool thing.  Felt better in that.  Then hobbled to get shower and get dressed.  It is slowly getting better but is still painful.  This thing has to be ready for tonights run dang it!  I am hardly kicking when I swim why did I get a cramp.  I think I know the answer is probably not enough water.  Maybe I should drink some while I swim (just kidding) well actually sometimes I do as I am still not a great swimmer.   Anyway, anything I can do during the day to get this thing ready to run on for tonight!  I thought these things went away pretty fast.  Should I try to walk on it as much as possible or stay off of it?  I am trying to give it a gentle rub every now and then.

FYI - I found these interesting and will try them next time one comes on.

"One pressure point is between and to the front of the space between your big toe and the second toe. Firm pressure with one or two fingers at the onset of cramp will stop it instantly. The other pressure point is the Septum? Which is the lower bone between the nostrils? Firm pressure on this point with the inside of the forefinger at the first sign of lower leg cramp will stop it dead. This last one sounds silly I know but please try it as it nearly always works. "

Retrieved from "http://www.articlesbase.com/diseases-and-conditions-articles/how-to-get-rid-of-leg-cramps-436476.html"

http://www.articlesbase.com/diseases-and-conditions-articles/how-to-get-rid-of-leg-cramps-436476.html

2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
      Cramp is not injury, false advertising.
      L Train

The good news is that you've answered your question about whether swimming helps your running.  And if you need to take some time off of running you can always keep your body healthy my eating some Nutella.

I'm a big NON-believer of these on-line "tell-me-what-to-do-with-my-injury-so-I-don't-have-to-pay-for-a-doctor-visit" thread.  One of the biggest problem is the poster has no idea what they are talking about.  Or, to phrase it more accurately, they are not articulating the issue and, to make the matter even worse, contributors "assume" what it is and chip in 100 different possibilities and solutions. 

Bearcat; from what you've posted, I still don't have a clue if it's a cramp or actual injury; if the "pain" is in your calf, shin, or foot.  Besides, it also sounds like it happened from probably kicking out of the pool (assuming the pool was shallow enough that you feet was in contact with the bottom; otherwise, usually the "incidence" should have happened in your shoulders/arms...), not from swimming.

Either way, if you have a pain, you should be running with it particularly if it is in fact an "injury".  If it's just a cramp as you had explained, I haven't heard too much about a cramp that lasted for 8 hours unless you count a birth contraction a "cramp".

Maybe it was one of those sharks with laser beams on their heads. Is your foot missing?

I hear phantom pain can be a bitch.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Why is it sideways?

April Fools!
                RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Doctors are over paid quacks!  If I have more than four or five sources saying the same thing on the internet then I take it as fact.    In this case what does it hurt me to try these two solutions? 

BTW - Had a fire drill of course and I am on the 15th floor.  That was a lot of fun.  I can walk better on the calf right now but it is still sore to the touch.  I put running tonight at 50/50.  I have 6 hours for it to feel even better.  That reminds me I need to mask the pain and take some IBU.

Happy April fools day fools! 

2011 Goals:
                  RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

The good news is that you've answered your question about whether swimming helps your running.  And if you need to take some time off of running you can always keep your body healthy my eating some Nutella.

Great points!  I'm still confused on how I hurt my self.  Arm, Shoulder, hand but I was trying to kick as little as possible.  I think it was dehydration that did the trick.  I was getting in longer weekday runs with less time for eating and drinking due to time constraints.  Plus going to bed early doesn't help.

Bannana everyday and glass full of water before going to be every night.

2011 Goals:
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You're using your limbs too much when you're swimming. Try to use them less, or even not at all. You get a much better core workout that way.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

You're using your limbs too much when you're swimming. Try to use them less, or even not at all. You get a much better core workout that way.

Plus, also, then we can call him Bob.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

ouch. ouch ouch ouch.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

MrH

You can suffer nasty injuries, or worse, swimming

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

You can suffer nasty injuries, or worse, swimming

that will definitely hurt ones running. 

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Ahh I have a conference in July in Sandiego and was hoping to swim in the ocean.  Things are only getting worse the longer this thread continues.
                                  2011 Goals: