Suggestions for making running with a stroller easier? (Read 1650 times)

When my good friend heard me read the topic(she has pushed many a stroller many many miles) her very first comments were; leave the stroller and kids at home with your husband then enjoy your run.

That is some good advice from someone who knows.

Dennis

I look my best blurry!

I don't have any serious or ridiculous advice to offer to ease your stroller pushing situation.  I do want to say that I see some women running at the lake near my house pushing strollers.  I am always so impressed with their determination to get their workout done.  Some of them are really doing it with flair.  Their paces are truly amazing sometimes!  

I was too lazy to push a stroller in my hilly neighborhood.  I was a walker then.  I used to put the kiddos to bed and then go for my walk.  My friends and I would meet between 9 and 9:30.  We would walk for an hour and a half.  Believe it or not it never really kept me awake.  I would get home and crash.  Maybe that would work.  Best wishes on fitting it all in.  It's never easy when your a mom but when there's a will there's a way!  

When my good friend heard me read the topic(she has pushed many a stroller many many miles) her very first comments were; leave the stroller and kids at home with your husband then enjoy your run.

That is some good advice from someone who knows.

Dennis

I have to agree with the advice you were given. My wife and I trade off so we can each run in peace. Jogging strollers are ridiculous in my opinion. When you run, you need to have good form, and that includes arm motion. When you push a stroller, your arms are stationary. It's just not natural. Just my opinion when it comes to that.
        seeEricaRun

Awesome

I have to agree with the advice you were given. My wife and I trade off so we can each run in peace.

Then my next question is: Is four years too late to return a husband for another model?

Then my next question is: Is four years too late to return a husband for another model?

Haha. It's never too late. If he is unwilling to watch his own child for however long it takes you to run, that is pretty sad.

It sucks, there really is no easy way, but it is better than not running.  When your kids get older like mine (11 & 13) you will realize the REAL benefit of pushing them everywhere while being miserable.  My five years of being stuck with a kid(s) in a stroller resulted in having two kids who understand that exercise is part of what "we" do.  They are programmed to exercise every day because from day one, they were always part of my exercise.  Next time you are pushing the stroller uphill, against the wind, in the rain and the kid is screaming, just think about how you are being a great parent and SOMEDAY, they might appreciate it. 

I'd have to disagree with a lot of the posts in this thread.  I really enjoy taking my daughter with me in the jogger.  She has a good time and it makes for a more challenging workout for me.  

some of my best runs have been with my children, they teach you to appreciate the little things in life that are run passed unnoticed.  They have a relaxing ride and I burn extra calories because of the resistance.  Initially I had a hill I couldn't make it up, but a couple of tries later and it was no big deal.  As far as it getting easier, your children get bigger so it never gets easier. 

Borderline offended at some of the previous posts.

Mr Play

After today's 11 mile run pushing my youngest son, I have to agree with Brad J.  I taught him how to count using fractions at every half mile, we talked about my granddad he never met and how he used to feed squirrels from his hands, what eardrums are and how they help you hear, all sorts of cool stuff came up all throughout the run.  It was an awesome time for both of us, and a pretty good workout for me.