Cost of a "Road Membership" (Read 172 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

As I retired my 26th pair of running shoes and checked in my 30th pair into RA's tracker, I got to looking at the cost of running -- something I normally consider "free".   There's always The Road.  No membership fee required.  But if you take a closer look, it costs me about $0.23 per mile.  (I exchange my shoes at around 500miles, depending on how they've held up).

Let's call it a quarter per mile for easy math.

So, my casual weekly mileage of 35mi/week is about $8.75/wk.  Or $35/mo. $420/year.

When I was training, I regularly ran 65mi/wk or about $65/mo. $780/year.

Kinda surprised me that something I mentally think of as "free" is quite expensive.  Compare this to a $19/mo non-running gym membership.  I stipulate non-running because obviously miles are miles and you still need something on your feet.  But if you just consider weight-lifting or whatever, you could get by with a single pair of cross-trainers for a year or more.  Still $100/year.  So, a total of $328/year.

I'm not even going into weather related running clothes, garmin, race fees, gu, protein bars . . .not to mention injuries.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

an amazing likeness

Not to mention the opportunity cost of hours spent staring at my RA log while wondering 'wtf is happening here...'.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Joann Y

Cheaper than all those cartons of cigarettes and the associated medical expenses.

Cheaper than all those cartons of cigarettes and the associated medical expenses.

and the cost of a shrink or meds needed for sanity, I go for run when I am mad/stressed/have cabin fever/haven't talked to a human in hours, all perks of working from home.

npaden

You must buy some expensive shoes!

Since I've ended up running with Skechers the last 4 years or so I would guess my average cost is less that 10 cents per mile for shoes.

I've actually worn out quite a few socks and a few pairs of shorts over the last 12,500+ miles that I guess you would need to add into the equation if you were really calculating out the cost.

The numbers that might surprise you are the costs of entering races over the years, especially if you factor in the travel cost if you have any races that you've traveled to.  I know you could run without racing, but I don't think I could.  I need races on my schedule to keep me motivated.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Swimming is virtually free Smile

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Joann Y

and the cost of a shrink or meds needed for sanity

This is very true.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Swimming is virtually free Smile

Err....pool membership, swimsuits, goggles, caps, "toys" (paddles, buoy, etc)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Err....pool membership, swimsuits, goggles, caps, "toys" (paddles, buoy, etc)

*virtually

Goggles last 24+ months ($4 - $40)

Swim Buoy, not necessary, but lasts 5+ years

Kick Board not necessary, but lasts 5+ years

Cap not necessary

Pool membership - expensive (approx. $30 / month)

Master's swim class - expensive

Lake access - dependent on location, but can be free, but seasonally accessible.

Dollar for Dollar, I'm fairly confident that swimming is cheaper than running if you're willing and able to swim open water Smile

It's possibly the same if you're swimming at the gym and have to add a gym membership to swim.

And yes, I was somewhat stirring the pot and making a play of it.
                    Yes, these games we play are luxurious, and cost money.... but well worth the money we spend Smile

Life Goals:

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

And yes, I was somewhat stirring the pot and making a play of it.

Sir, you're already swimming on thin-ice here, what with the "miniMarathon" reference in your sig-line.  Don't push it.

Wink

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

swimming on thin-ice

Mixed metaphor or uncomfortable swimming. I don't like running on thin ice, either, but it might reduce wear on shoes.

Sir, you're already swimming on thin-ice here, what with the "miniMarathon" reference in your sig-line.  Don't push it.

Wink

Sorry, I'm a tiny bit snippy today, and looking for trouble rather than going for a swim. Wink

My "A" race is in 23 days, and a big storm took out their city and literally blew the roof off of the host site.

Unfortunately, I don't think I get to race my A race this year.

But, I think I may get to volunteer that weekend provided my hotel is still accessible.

another part of my signature line impacted today.... "Ironman Florida - 11/2" (Panama City Beach, FL)

With that said.... I have no idea why they call things MiniMarathons.... Recently moved north from Texas, and we never called the half marathons "minis".

Life Goals:

mikeymike

Kinda surprised me that something I mentally think of as "free" is quite expensive.

I consider something that has as much value as running and costs a lot less than 1% of my annual income to be very cheap.

Maybe not free, but approximately free.

Runners run

I consider something that has as much value as running and costs a lot less than 1% of my annual income to be very cheap.

Maybe not free, but approximately free.

^ this. As far as hobbies go, still a pretty cheap one. I justify the time & cost I spend running by the fact that it really is my only hobby. And I still try to keep it on the cheaper end of that. I wear Brooks shoes which are usually $120-130 a pop, but have not paid full price in a long time; I generally buy discounted older models. Not too big on any other gear - new socks once in a while, a new pair of shorts every couple years. And every shirt I run in I got free from a race. Of course as mentioned, those are not free at all, probably a greater expense than shoes. Not to mention the amount I am going to spend going to Boston next year, which is a whole different category.

Dave

undue monkey

The Cincinnati Heart Mini Marathon is my favorite local road race and my favorite distance, 15K. I would submit that it get a pass for the name.

It's been run every year since 1978 when ~2,000 people registered and about another 1000 bandited (!). Bob MacVeigh, former co-RD of the Boston Marathon, was co-RD of that 1978 race and invited the man who would be it's inaugural winner, Bill Rodgers. From then on it became a popular Boston tune up and Cincinnati springtime ritual. It has progressively turned into the standard weekend fundraiser with a bunch of different events. It brings in north of $3M for the AHA, and now the half marathon draws a similar number of entries to the 15K "mini".

On topic: I'm heavy and have lousy form so I'm unable to get more than ~350 miles from most shoes. Fortunately Running Warehouse always seems to have decent clearance options for $50-60.