What GPS do you use? (Read 798 times)

geekfarm@centurytel.net

When I go trail running I use a handheld Magellan Explorist 400. It's just a GPS unit I had around the house. I thought it would be adequate . Only the accuracy isn't even close. I mean not any where near close. On an out and back course, the out could read 2.7 miles and the finish could read a total of 3.5 miles. I run in Washington State where the trees are big and thick and don't always afford a good look at the sky. That could be a big part of the problem, but I thought these things were supposed to be more accurate. I would like to know what you use and if the accuracy is good under conditions like these. Also if you would make that same purchase again after using it in the field.Thanks Greg
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Check out the Garmin Forerunner 205/305 (205 is w/o heart rate monitor) or the new 405. Designed specifically for running, accuracy seems to be within about ±2~3% by all accounts. Type "Garmin" into the search field in the upper right of of this site here. The volume of hits will give you the idea how popular these are with runners. These devices handle trees/terrain extremely well.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I LOVE my Garmin Forerunner 305. Even if I run under a lot of trees I get a pretty accurate reading, compared to logging manually using Google maps. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

The accuracy of a GPS unit depends on how frequently it takes a position, and how it figures distance. A unit intended for hikers might not be very accurate for a runner.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Hoping to Run Again :-(

I'm with zoom and am infatuated with my Garmin 305. It seems very accurate and strong. The only time I've lost signal is as I travel along a narrow trail carved through the dense woods on the way to my front door. I've wanted this specific GPS for some time and it's every bit as helpful (and fun) as I'd hoped.
            ~ Fly ~
            Only as much as I dream can I be.
            veggies on the run

Imminent Catastrophe

Just used my Garmin 405 for the first time today. Just looking at the data and maps it produced, it is much more accurate than the handheld unit that I have used before. I think that a device designed for running will be more accurate than a general-purpose unit for hiking or driving.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I want a Garmin 305 for my birthday in October. Take note, people. Wink I do heart my refurbished 201, though. I got it for dirt cheap and it's great. We don't have a ton (just a little) of tree cover around my town. I can't wait to upgrade, though.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

geekfarm@centurytel.net

The accuracy of a GPS unit depends on how frequently it takes a position, and how it figures distance. A unit intended for hikers might not be very accurate for a runner.
                  Thanks. I didn't think there would be a difference between.
                  Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I want a Garmin 305 for my birthday in October. Take note, people. Wink I do heart my refurbished 201, though. I got it for dirt cheap and it's great. We don't have a ton (just a little) of tree cover around my town. I can't wait to upgrade, though.
                    I also have a refurbed 201 that works great. At some point, I'll update (when I have the $$), but it works for me. The only bummer is that I can't plug it into my computer.

TRUST THE PROCESS

I have a 201 too. It still gets the job done, but I'll upgrade eventually. Why can't you connect it to your computer Kerry? Mine can...but I don't because Garmin Training Center is one of the worst pieces of software I've ever used.
                        I have the Garmin 205 and I'm very happy with it. I upgraded from the 201 since I lived overseas in a large city and needed the stronger GPS. The Garmin Training Center software does stink - I use Sporttracks.

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

I also use the 201... I pretty much stopped downloading data into the computer 2 years ago, though. I just put the info into my log here (and at Coolrunning before the Active exodus), and look at the splits only for tempo runs and races.
                          TJoseph

I have a 305 and love it. It has been very accurate and I live in the mountains where there are a lot of trees. I hate the HRM strap and usually leave it home, so the 205 would have worked just as well for me. I also use SportTracks. Tom
                            Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I have a 201 too. It still gets the job done, but I'll upgrade eventually. Why can't you connect it to your computer Kerry? Mine can...but I don't because Garmin Training Center is one of the worst pieces of software I've ever used.
                              It uses serial connector and I don't want to buy the serial to usb cable to connect to my Mac (aka I'm cheap). Plus, who knows if it will work when I get it connected anyway. I figure by the time I would need/really want to do this I'll be ready for an upgrade anyway. Speaking of the 201s - mine has been somewhat slow in pulling satellite signals lately. I've really noticed this in the last week or so - battery charge seems to have no effect for better or worse on this. I don't run on trails and tend to walk slowly and in open areas to let the satellite pick up before I get going - my routine hasn't changed. Has anyone else noticed this?

TRUST THE PROCESS