Children biking on the track? (Read 503 times)

Mysecondnewname

Unbelievable...

(At least the two women walkers are not in lane 1, so maybe there is hope in the world.  Smile)

zonykel

Unbelievable...

(At least the two women walkers are not in lane 1, so maybe there is hope in the world.  Smile)

But if someone is going to walk, why the track??

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I have NEVER seen that!  I would be annoyed, to put it politely.

some call me Tim

...Her dad came along and thanked me for helping and we all went on our way.  She had some nice pond seaweed stuck in all the spokes.  Should make a good story for the momma tonight.

Good on you! How you describe this kid reminds me a bit of my eldest (6). As for the kids on the track, a display of insanity would probably encourage them to steer clear, if it doesn't cause their negligent parents to reign them in.

I bring my kids to track, and even the 2 year old knows to stay off when people are doing workouts.

Runner Mike

I mean in my town the best track is at the high school, therefore the tax payers pay for it. They do have some rules for the track though, which I think is proper because the track is ultimately for the high school, but after that I feel that I have no more right to hog the track just because I run and someone walks.  Actually, it really bugs me when runners "think" they have more rights to the track because they run.

Sorry to get off on a rant there.

With bikes thought, there is a common courtesy issue, parenting and safety issues that need to be considered. First of all I I don't know if kids bikes cause much more wear and tear than say spikes.  However, if some kid is not paying attention, not being safe or not following the rules regardless of what they are doing that is an issue that needs to be address.

I've had kids on bikes that didn't bother me one bit. I have had kids who were not on bikes, but just wandering around that was a bigger issue.

However, it it is a college track, then I am just a guest and I would follow their rules or find another track.

Revenge of the Nerd

But if someone is going to walk, why the track??

Because they can let their kids run wild.  

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

As a middle school coach that has had to deal with this as well as scrappers breaking into our equipment shed and robbing our hurdles I'm disappointed. But I don't think it is necessarily bad parenting. I don't think they are aware of the damage it can cause to the track or the cost of repair. I think they see it as a place where they can get some exercise and the kids can too. They need to be educated.

Fall  2013 Goals: Doable sub 22:00 5k; Challenging Sub 21:00 5k; Unlikely Sub 20:00 5k.

drrbradford

Bad parenting and bad for the track.

Agree with the former statement but would question the latter.

leonasmith1977

Addicted to Running

I can imagine just how annoying this situation can be. bad parenting at its finest!

Agree with the former statement but would question the latter.

When people did this on our track it caused it to crack and eventually get holes. Since it was a no longer a high school track, they didn't resurface it, they just plugged the holes. It ended up costing $14,000 just to plug the holes and that was only a two year solution. They are back again now. The surface wasn't designed to have rubber tires rolling over it.

Fall  2013 Goals: Doable sub 22:00 5k; Challenging Sub 21:00 5k; Unlikely Sub 20:00 5k.

Best Present Ever

I mean in my town the best track is at the high school, therefore the tax payers pay for it. They do have some rules for the track though, which I think is proper because the track is ultimately for the high school, but after that I feel that I have no more right to hog the track just because I run and someone walks.  Actually, it really bugs me when runners "think" they have more rights to the track because they run.

Sorry to get off on a rant there.

For real?  I'm a pokey runner -- but not the pokiest -- who often trains on our local university track.  It just seems basic etiquette to cede to the faster runners.  I always try to stay out of their way.   Walkers on the inside lanes seem beyond the pale to me.  And honestly, I've never understood why walkers come to the track.  Why walk in circles with no scenery when one could, you know, take a walk?

We almost lost use of this track when it was renovated a few years ago as a result of people using baby joggers, letting kids run wild, and trying to run during team practices(!)  It took some real negotiations to let local runners have access (and I think it's rare for this to happen on a track that hosts NCAA Div 1 events).  I just keep my fingers crossed that people keep following the rules about when and how ...

jeffdonahue

We have a new track in our town and everyone seems pretty excited.  I see walkers there all the time - and honestly I haven't yet seen them on the inside two lanes.  I see kids playing on the soccer field in the middle while moms are walking.

And I do see parents bringing small kids with their bikes.  But the kids have been very considerate, or maybe the parents have, because they stay out of everyones way in the outside lanes and I haven't seen any issues.

I don't think it's bad parenting - its parents getting in their exercise with kids exercising as well.  I don't see how a bike is going to tear up the track more than spikes or soccer cleats walking across it.  These are small kids just pedaling around, not teenagers skidding all over the place.

xhristopher

Honestly, using the track hasn't been horrible. Yesterday's experience was a little over the top though, which is probably why I posted. I don't mind walkers and joggers in any lane really. I can easily run my interval in another lane. I'm not even completely sold that light wheeling spells imminent catastrophe for the track surface. What bugs me is the erratic nature of young kids who wheel in any direction and in any lane. That just didn't mix with the pace I was running, so I yielded the track to the kids for safety sake.

I had no interest in engaging with parents. I'm not so quick to say this is an example of bad parenting, rather ignorant parenting. What we do need is a sign explaining track etiquette. My wife is the daughter of a former track coach and did have some choice words when I told her about this. She was brought up to stay out of the way of runners and to look before crossing.

I want our track to be a shared resource for the whole community. It's a great benefit of living here and with some gentle rules and guidelines It can be even better. As runners we have to remember that most of our community has little experience with a track other than watching football over it.

Feeling the growl again

Re walking vs running on the track, it is not a matter of rights but of safety.  Just as on the highway, people traveling at different speeds don't mix well.  So it is wiser and safer for runners/walkers to take different lanes on the track.

While on the topic of rights, the fact that taxpayers paid for it does not give you any right to use it.  Try forcing your way into the school building to use it, or use any other government facility at your discretion just because "my tax money paid for it".  Many schools used to leave their tracks open but sadly misuse has cut down that number substantially over time.

Not as bad as dogs on the track...last time I used the local track the guy arriving after me didn't seem to understand why I took issue with his loose mutt cutting under my legs while I was going 5:30 pace.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

.... I'm not so quick to say this is an example of bad parenting, rather ignorant parenting. What we do need is a sign explaining track etiquette.

I want our track to be a shared resource for the whole community. It's a great benefit of living here and with some gentle rules and guidelines It can be even better. As runners we have to remember that most of our community has little experience with a track other than watching football over it.

I agree.  I don't know that these parents were "bad".  I think they were trying to get outside and be active, and a track seemed like a logical choice (even though those of us within the running community know it's not the logical choice).

Regarding the track, though.... I haven't had access to a middle school or high school track in over 10 years.  Football here in Texas makes track access for runners impossible.  Damn Futball...  They lock the gates and prevent access.  The only way to get in is to hop a fence at any of the local tracks.

The only time I was on a track in Texas, though, I snuck into a local middle school in the early evening between the gate, and went to watch my wife and youngest son run a couple miles.  I had done 2 workouts earlier in the day, and didn't want to run that evening.  So I wore flip flops.  After a few laps of watching, my son was tired, and I ran with him for 1 lap.  But, it was 100+ degrees outside, and the blacktop track was likely 130+ degrees, and I burnt my feet so bad I couldn't train for another week.  I retired from running on middle school & high school tracks after that evening.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life