Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - As of this morning all my runs are logged - I usually do my Sat-Mon runs on Monday. Maybe refresh the reports page?

Is there a way we can actively see how we're doing against the competing team, rather than just see the mileage for people individually?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Ryan - Welcome!  This is a great group with lots of useful advice, & like JMac says, the accountability is a big help too.  Where do you live now?  I went to college in Nashville, though well before the time you were working at the hotel.

Also, how many mpw are you running?  The equivalence tables assume you're doing appropriate training for the distance you're planning to run, so if you were slightly undertrained for your 5-miler, the forecast for the half may be optimistic.  My 5K PR isn't much over 19, and I haven't broken 1:30 for the half (yet - let's be optimistic), probably because of low mileage.  You certainly have the speed to go under 1:30.

Finally, where is your fast & flat May half?  Columbus, OH?  I had been looking at some March & April halfs in Georgia & Alabama, but an illness has put me about a month behind schedule, and I'm basebuilding for the next several weeks.  I'd love to find a flat May half in a place that's not too hot at that time of the year (and ideally not too far away, but that may not be possible).

I have been averaging around 50mpw in 2019. I crossed the year with 2550, with the fall definitely being much more consistent and focused with workouts. I'm located in St. Louis, MO these days.

I hit 60mpw last week in the following training.

Monday: 7.6 miles on the treadmill at 8:20 pace

Tuesday: 9 miles total12x400m w/ 2 minute recovery jog after warm up and cool down (1:11ish)

Wednesday: 7.4 miles on the treadmill at 8:15 pace

Thursday: 8 miles total - 2 mile warm up/2x2 miles at half marathon pace with 5 minute recovery jog between/1.5 cooldown (1:01ish)

Friday: 5.5 miles on treadmill at 8:50 pace for recovery

Saturday: 16 miles on the treadmill (stupid storms) // 5 miles at 8:34, 6 miles at 7:13, 4 miles at 8:20, 1 mile at 7:30

Sunday: 6.5 miles at 8:20 on the road

Felt good throughout the week to get some decent miles and push my legs more than I have been with some focused training. Weather has been decent this winter, but lots of rain that became snow on Saturday changed the run. But I'm okay with it. Pushed my legs and felt good.

Finally, looking at the Indy Mini on May 2. I haven't booked it yet, because I'm hoping to get a close friend here to go with me. Plus, I want to make sure. All in all, I think I'm in the shape to do it sub 1:30 if I put in the time and effort.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Is there a way we can actively see how we're doing against the competing team, rather than just see the mileage for people individually?

The only way is to click on the individual runners and check their logs. Weird how it works, but it won't show you the competitions' mileage directly in the head to head, but you can do some clicking and figure out where the competition is. Eventually people earn a reputation for putting up BIG weeks and teams continually hit their weekly mileage by a good percentage over and that's how they win.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - As of this morning all my runs are logged - I usually do my Sat-Mon runs on Monday. Maybe refresh the reports page?

Yeah, that might be it.  Your log looks right, it's just the team mileage that isn't capturing it.  We've got the admins on to it!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Corey - I forgot, are you running Boston?

JMac yeah..... trying to make my travel plans.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Hi all!

Sorry I am a bit behind... Last week started really well, with a good workout on a 10M (with 4T) and a good amount of miles for the first 3 days. Then I went to Germany, got a lot of work to do, didn't sleep much and didn't find the time to run. During the weekend I was travelling on Saturday and woke up late on Sunday so I didn't get much done. I closed the week with about 31 M (skipped the long ...).

This week I'll start again.

I must say motivation is a bit low at the moment, between the dark and rainy days and travels for work I struggle finding the right routine. I hope to pick up. Well done everybody on your weeks! I enjoy reading on the forum, sorry for not writing much for now. Hopefully I will be back more active soon. For now I will try to post mileage and training.

have a good week

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - no, it will top at 20km.

Mrakers - welcome aboard!

Darkwave - I’m impressed by your super human ability to do leg strength work after a running workout day.

Keen - indeed it’s much easier to avoid if I’m not having them.

so somehow I threw my lower back out of place yesterday while sweeping the floor. I was like a banana tipping to the right side.

Though I suspect it might've started when I was doing 3x3 one arm ring rows early morning. I'm at about 80% now, but had to take the day off.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

Doh!

So, NZ Half Marathon Champs 2020 has just been announced as being at Waterfront HM on April 5 this year.  I've already committed to doing Southern Lakes Half Marathon on... April 4.

Waterfront HM / National HM Champs

For:

• Would be nice to try and defend my National Masters HM title
                  • Good event
                  • Likely to have a good field being in Auckland and based around a popular, well-established race

Against:

• Congestion between 13-15km mark where faster runners on second lap catch slower ones on first lap
                  • Buggered up finish timing last year
                  • Has had unseasonably good, cool weather two years in a row so high risk it is warm/bad/both this year
                  • Have run it the last two years (I get bored easily)
                  • Good chance of Masters placing but little / no chance of overall race placing

Southern Lakes Half Marathon

For:

• Bucket list race in what is possibly my favourite place in the world
                  • Good chance of good running weather with cool overnight temps
                  • Conditions much closer to likely CHC Marathon conditions
                  • Good chance of overall race placing (but smaller field)

Against:

• Travel costs (already spent, but most of these are actually refundable other than the race entry though)
                  • Might run a PR and then get a hard time because it's a net downhill course (it goes down a valley to a lake, go figure) - but this is no different to the current state haha.

What do you think?

I'm still leaning towards Southern Lakes.  It's a fun, destination race I've wanted to do for a while, and I feel like, although it's net downhill, it'll be far better preparation for Christchurch Marathon as the conditions are likely to be much closer to Christchurch race conditions than those in Auckland.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Flavio I hit that same workout today on the treadmill. Felt really good!

Anybody else doing speedwork today? Anyone have good interval recs for the treadmill targeting HM? Either broken down by time or km distance. 1k reps with .5k recoveries were easy to track. Have not tried the 'track' setting on the treadmill but I guess that would open up 400/800/1200 options. Trying to KISS.

If you are suffering from pain , Tramadol is the best option for you and now you can buy the Tramadol from

https://onlinemedscare.com/product-category/buy-tramadol-online/

call +1 (786) 802-1504

What Is Tramadol? 

Tramadol 50mg is a drug that is mainly used as a medication for moderate to severe pain that happens to take place in a human body. Tramadol is one of the most successful pain killers among others. People in the United States are choosing Tramadol drug over others due to its effectiveness and tolerance towards the patient who is taking this drug for the treatment of pain.

If you have Painful involuntary muscle contractions, Tramadol is the best option for you and now you can buy the Tramadol from

https://bit.ly/2Q2sZ7G

And you can order from  Call +1 (786) 802-1504

How to Buy Tramadol

Order Tramadol 

Buy Tramadol in USA

Online order Tramadol

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Corey - good to have someone else! Although you are WAY ahead of me in training right now. Travel plans are the worst for Boston, the hotels are just so outrageous it makes me sick.

Flavio - hopefully just one of those super sore things that goes away!

Mark - I've already given you a hard time on downhill courses, so you know how I feel 

Me - I just signed up for a 5K on February 8. I will not be in shape for it. It will not be fun.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - Before you said you were leaning towards Southern Lakes I was thinking you should go for that too.

I wouldn't worry about the Waterfront messing up the timing this year though - no way could they do it twice in a row.  Based on growing up in Auckland, I'd say the odds are more that this year the race is due for torrential rain rather than warm conditions.  I also don't think you really have anything more to prove in the half-marathon (for now), so I'd go with your preferred race even if it isn't going to get you a title.  It wouldn't surprise me if you bring your half-marathon time down even further after going through a marathon training cycle.

Another pro for Southern Lakes - it's a Saturday race => more celebratory bourbons

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - Before you said you were leaning towards Southern Lakes I was thinking you should go for that too.

I wouldn't worry about the Waterfront messing up the timing this year though - no way could they do it twice in a row.  Based on growing up in Auckland, I'd say the odds are more that this year the race is due for torrential rain rather than warm conditions.  I also don't think you really have anything more to prove in the half-marathon (for now), so I'd go with your preferred race even if it isn't going to get you a title.  It wouldn't surprise me if you bring your half-marathon time down even further after going through a marathon training cycle.

Oh, I guarantee they won't mess it up this year.  If they did that at National Champs their reputation would be permanently shot.  It's funny you mention weather.  In 2018 a massive storm blew through a day or two after the Waterfront race.  I remember cruising along Tamaki Drive, seeing boats washed up on the rocks, thinking, wow it would've been a disaster if this weather had struck during the race!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Here's another vote for Southern Lakes!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Alright, I can't help myself because this course is even worse than the one you ran your last PR on.

This half marathon is literally straight downhill. At least the last half you had that huge hill to climb, which at least made the PR somewhat debatable.

But this one is just a straight 300 meters downhill from start to finish? It's like the perfect amount of aid you can get. So ridiculously downhill that you should easily run sub 1:10, but not so downhill it's going to hurt your quads.

If you're going to count this as a PR, then I guess there's literally nothing that doesn't count. Not saying you shouldn't run it for all these reasons, but you cannot possibly think this is a legit PR attempt.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - just remembered something before heading out. Forgot to congratulate you on the new jacket! You definitely found the right conditions for it. It definitely does NOT work for 50 and raining, you will be drenched in sweat. But those upper 30s / low 40s rain/mix runs? It's amazing. It's crazy how thin/light it is, right?

Hopefully you got it at a decent price. I sometimes wonder why I spent so much damn money on a jacket that I will use probably 10-15 times a year, but then I remember how miserable I used to get in the rain and I realize it's worth it, as long as I don't accidentally tear it on something.