Kent City Ridge Run 15k - aka "Jill's Hills" (Read 616 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great job, Kirsten! What hard conditions! Just think how easy your next race will seem in comparison. How cool that you placed! I can only dream...

SMART Approach

Zoom, Awesome effort! It can be frustrating running in less than ideal conditions. I remember the first marathon I ran in was a rain storm the whole way with wind. Hardly could lift my feet (soaked). You did great! Next it is a PR.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

WTG Kirsten and Eryn! What a race with all those hills and nasty weather conditions! Congrats on placing in your AG! Smile

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks everybody! Big grin Oh, I am paying for that race today...ow! Black eye

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks everybody! Big grin Oh, I am paying for that race today...ow! Black eye
            You need a massage!

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You need a massage!
              Yeah...that's a good idea! Big grin I need to eat some real food (as opposed to Easter candy and bacon) and motivate myself to do an easy 3-4 miler. I'm sure that would help loosen things up a bit.

~ Sarah Kay

Jill, of aforementioned "Jill's Hills" is obviously one sadistic lady!! That was the toughest race I've ever run. It made the additional 10K of the Riverbank Run seem like a breeze! And no, the snow & ice were certainly not helping matters. (I'm sure you Percy Warner Park folks are laughing at us right now, just like we do when you say 32 degrees is cold.) I've also done very little hill training thus far & none on very big hills. While running this race, I struck up conversations with numerous runners. What I found interesting is that not one person I talked to during the race had ever run this race before. It seemed a little strange since the race had less that 200 runners. I'm now convinced it was because those that had run it in previous years had either: 1. died on a hillside or 2. come to their senses & vowed to never run it again!! At any point during the course one could look ahead & always see yet another hill. Psychologically, it was a tough race. Physically, it was a tough race. But we HTFU'd & we finished strong (Zoomers a little stronger...darn sprinter lady!!). I thought I would be miserable last night & today, but I'm feeling great. Last night it was a little rough carrying groceries up the stairs. I made one trip and asked my hubby to bring the rest. But other than uphill/upstairs action, I feel really good. And I was quite happy with my pace, which was much faster than I expected it to be on a hilly course. And I'm already thinking about PR'ing this course next year. * Slaps heel of hand to forehead repeatedly while chanting "stupid stupid stupid." * I think I'll start hill training a little earlier...like, say, November?! Big grin And thanks for all the congrats everyone! Anyone in for next year?? Eryn
                So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Jill, of aforementioned "Jill's Hills" is obviously one sadistic lady!!
                  You know she's the CC/track coach for KC. Shon said KC has one helluva CC team. No surprise...if she brutalizes them by making them run that course they had better be hardcore. Did you see there was a 13 year old girl who ran it, too? And I think she finished near the front of the pack. If she doesn't burn-out or get injured I would not be surprised to see great things out of that young woman in another 10-20 years.

~ Sarah Kay

Nice way to HTFU, Zoom and Eryn. Congrats on finishing and placing at a very TOUGH race! Big grin

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice way to HTFU, Zoom and Eryn. Congrats on finishing and placing at a very TOUGH race! Big grin
                      Thanks! Now I could cry, though...I just found this: POST RACE An assortment of post race refreshments will be available in the school following the races. An awards presentation with raffle prizes will follow each race. Prizes will not be mailed. Maybe the only time I will ever place in a race and I have nothing to show for it. Dammit. Cry That reminds me...Eryn, do you still have the info. sheet that was in the race packet? I can't find mine and I wonder if it says who did the photos. I will probably order one from this race. At least I can say that I have a photo of myself placing, even if I have no other tangible evidence of it. Dammit, I'm bummed. Undecided

~ Sarah Kay

skinnycaponesugar

Congratulations ladies!! Big grin Happily in pain, I imagine Wink

Love, Run, Sleep

Thanks! Now I could cry, though...I just found this: POST RACE An assortment of post race refreshments will be available in the school following the races. An awards presentation with raffle prizes will follow each race. Prizes will not be mailed. Maybe the only time I will ever place in a race and I have nothing to show for it. Dammit. Cry That reminds me...Eryn, do you still have the info. sheet that was in the race packet? I can't find mine and I wonder if it says who did the photos. I will probably order one from this race. At least I can say that I have a photo of myself placing, even if I have no other tangible evidence of it. Dammit, I'm bummed. Undecided
                          Way to go Kirsten, sounds like a real tough race. I would think they would mail you the medal, since it says "Prizes" won't be mailed. I can understand that, if there are drawn prizes you have to be there, but medals are different, I'd think.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Way to go Kirsten, sounds like a real tough race. I would think they would mail you the medal, since it says "Prizes" won't be mailed. I can understand that, if there are drawn prizes you have to be there, but medals are different, I'd think.
                            Oh...good point. I hope that's true. I'm definitely going to e-mail the director to see if that's the case. I would gladly send her a check to cover shipping. Who knows if/when I'll ever see another AG placement. Blush

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

WTG zoomie and BRR! And big kudos to zz for your first ever AG award! Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Think Whirled Peas

Nice job ZZ (Eryn too)! Running in snow is really starting to p&^* me off! Ya done good, though!!! PR is a PR, no matter what. Sounds like you earned a day off to me! Looking forward to warmer days in the (hopefully) VERY NEAR future! Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>