Cloud 9.... and beyond... (Read 983 times)

Donn1

Uncle Dude

I'm gonna try to make this short, to the point. Runner turned smoker (Booo.... hisss....) Quit smoking Jan10th 2010, (27 yrs, pack a day, 46 years old) that's the day I decided I was gonna run a half marathon. Not "I want to run" , rather "I'm going to run"  So, I quit, I trained, listened to my body, stayed motivated and watched the miles increase and the confidence grow. Fought through a bad achilles, never gave into the voices during the long runs. Completed a double digit run about 5 weeks ago, 10 miles. Cloud 9. But I had more to give. Attempted 12 miles more than once, but never quite made the distance. Poor fueling on my part, not enough rest in between long runs, etc etc. Today, 8 days before my race, 12.23 miles fell by the wayside. (1:42:33) Cloud 9 and beyond! My goal for the Half was under 2hrs....now I'm thinking under 1:50 ....Life is good. I'm back and I'm ready.

Donn Born Again Runner 2010 Half Marathon 4-25-10 Glass City 1:55:55 5K < 23:00 Just Run

Congrats, Donn. Thats Great!

http://www.freewebs.com/run4life/RA/springChallenge.htm

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, I love reading stories like that!  And I'm so glad to hear that you quit smoking BEFORE you had any serious health issues.  Took a stroke to get my dad to quit.

Good luck on your race...I think <1:50 is definitely do-able. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sounds like you'll do great!  Be sure to taper well in the remaining eight days.

Intentionally Blank

Yay!  Can't wait to hear how the race goes.
            keeponrunning

Way to go!  Sub 1:50 is very doable. 

+1 on what LedLincoln said.  You don't want to train so hard for something, and then not do as well as possible because of a lack of a taper.

Be sure to let us know how you do!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Today, 8 days before my race, 12.23 miles fell by the wayside. (1:42:33) Cloud 9 and beyond!

That's great stuff Donn. With that run in the bank and some raceday magic from pinning on a bib, you've got the formula for a great run. Enjoy it, you've earned it.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Donn1

Uncle Dude

Mission accomplished. I ran the race in 1:55:55, a bit off my goal for time, but that was a secondary goal. Just finishing was the priority. And trust me, around mile 10 it was in doubt...anyway, I was 00:54: and change at the split and was feeling good. Then everything changed.   Next time it's sub 1:45:00 or bust...

Donn Born Again Runner 2010 Half Marathon 4-25-10 Glass City 1:55:55 5K < 23:00 Just Run

very nice! congrats!

Queen of 3rd Place

Seems like you've caught the bug!

Ex runner