Right Side Sciatica (Read 62 times)

I used the Search function here to find threads dealing with sciatica as well as using a general Internet search.  I found some information that I thought was really helping.  Doing a modified Pigeon Pose seemed to be opening my hips some.  I tried using therapy balls in addition to foam rolling as well.  Unfortunately, any apparent improvement was temporary at best.

A brief history:

Many years ago, while cycling, I felt “something” go in my right hip.  I finished the ride in pain.  I went to my doctor and was told I had sciatica.  I also clearly remember that she said it’s like turning 20, you’re never 19 again, implying this would always be a problem for me.  I remember taking some time off from cycling and it not being too much of an issue even when I resumed.

Not long after that, I went through a period of years with little cardio exercise.

When I resumed cycling at age 38, it was not a problem.  My cycling grew to a level far more intense than when the initial problem occurred and I still had no issues.  The only time the area felt a bit off is when I would do planks and raise one leg at a time to increase the effect.  I sometimes felt pain and a sense of weakness when I raised my left leg putting more stress and pressure on my right side.  I’ve never had any issues with my left side nor felt any discomfort while doing one legged planks raising my right leg.

Fast forward to when I began running about a year ago and I had no issues for several months but then last June, I had a period of three weeks or so when my right hip hurt.  I backed off the planks and the problem went away.  I then had no issues even when I did fast tempo runs and a race.  This was until December when it reared its head again.  Since then, I just haven’t been able to shake it.  I know it hurts worse after tempo runs but slower running still bothers it.  I’ve been continuing to run as it doesn’t affect my stride and the pain is manageable.  I just worry about the long-term effects of continuing to do this.

I had a massage last week and the therapist worked on my right side and thought I might have piriformis syndrome.  This came up in my initial searches.  It seems to be very similar to actual sciatica.  One plan is to abandon running for a while and resume cycling and hope that will allow the area to heal.  Once healed, I could try the stretches recommended and hopefully prevent a reoccurrence.  I’m loathe to stop running though especially as the weather still isn’t great for cycling.

Please share any experience or tips you might know about this issue.  I have a pretty high pain threshold so I’m tempted to try to run through it but after over two months of it being a problem, I’m not sure if that’s going to happen.  It’s possible that the pavement running I was forced to do in December along with the colder temperatures might have precipitated the problem.  If so, it might be that with warmer weather and only dirt running, the problem would work itself out.

Thanks.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

kilkee

runktrun

This sounds similar to my hip/hamstring/SI joint issues.  I have a couple structural issues playing into the high hammy/low back/pelvic pain that may be something you should explore.

It started with painful and "brittle" feeling high hammy tendons and tight hip flexors.  I took time off running and began biking more, but I suspected that was making it worse, but noooo all sports med docs and physios I talked to told me to keep biking, biking is great cross training.  Turns out that my pelvis is "loose" and with every down stroke on the pedals, I was actually really straining my SI joints.  I would get off the bike, walk a few steps and low back would ripple with pops like bubble wrap.  My sacrum and illeum (crest of the hip that all your butt muscles attach to) rotate a bit.  The right side would rotate down in front, and thus stretch my hamstring up in back. It was not an issue with any one muscle being tight, like piriformis syndrome, but an issue with the bones, muscles and tendons not being in their optimal position to function, or strong enough to do their job.  You'll probably hear some medical professionals say it is impossible for hip bones to shift like that, but I can see a distinct difference in leg length and then get a big crack and instant relief  when my sacrum or pubic bone shift back into place.

What has provided me decent relief is: 1) not stretching anything too much 2) working on basic core strength and stability (transverse abdominus exercises) to keep my pelvis stable 3) basic glute strength AND learning proper form, like the hip hinge motion and correct glute bridges before adding weight and squatting, 4) self corrective motions like pubic shotgun technique (google it, safe, i swear!).

Bottom line is that neither massage nor rest will likely fix it because it sounds like you have a strength imbalance or possible pelvic instability.  I don't think you need to stop running, but pay attention to how it feels after cycling.  I spent months cross training and only made it worse.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I do core work though I’ve now backed off planks almost entirely.  I do leg extensions for my quads but have been seriously thinking that more strength training would be in order for my lower body and that that could possibly help the sciatica issue.  I’m wondering if squats would further irritate the area or provide some needed strengthening.

I’ve also backed off on stretching.  Ironically, I do feel stretching helped the other issues I had such as calf/Achilles discomfort and some mild hamstring issues.  In fact everything below my hips is now just about 100%.  It’s frustrating as I thought any injury issues with running would be more centered there rather than the hip area.

I really don’t think cycling would affect me negatively.  I haven’t been on the bike since October.  While it’s true the initial injury seemed to happen while cycling (this was almost 20 years ago), I’ve literally cycled 50,000 miles since then without any issues.  I plan to continue with running unless things really get worse but I think incorporating some cycling might be worth a try to see if it would help.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

SMART Approach

There are a small percentage of runners who can run for many years and get away without doing hip/glute mobility and other strength work. Leg extensions aren't doing anything for you. Do more strength work on your feet and more one leg stuff since running is a one leg activity. This is the starting place for you. Then evaluate in 6 - 8 weeks. Squats, one leg squats, db step ups, band side stepping, bridges are a start.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Half Crazy K 2.0

I've had SI joint issues in the past. I had used Dr. Google first and came up with piriformis & initially was doing all the stretching, which didn't help at all. There's a lot in that general area that can cause problems, so if you can, get an eval by a physical therapist so you know what you are dealing with. My LRS had done an injury eval clinic with PTs, so while I didn't have a full PT work-up, I learned what the issue was. What worked for me, similar to what kilkee already mentioned, was to back of stretching and do core work.

Can you do planks without doing the single leg lifts? Planks were one of the things the PT had me do. The other was single leg stretch (a pilates inspired move).

I can still do planks with both feet down.  I've been keeping up an extensive core routine for years so I don't believe the problem would stem from that.

Strength work for my legs is another story though.  I've started doing body weight squats for the first time.  My sciatica feels somewhat better today despite doing my usual 9.2 mile Sunday run.  I'm not sure if that is a coincidence since I did do squats before the run.  In any case, I'll keep up them.

Thanks.

Personal Records:

dhuffman63

Trails

I hit a freaking large deer in Oct 2017 and unknowingly messed up my back.  I finally in Jan of this year after trying everything else had the cortisone shot in my SI joint.  Pain free finally.  Although even with the pain I was doing 50ks but by the end of them I was hurting pretty bad and ended up taking a couple weeks off in between.