Sync Weather and Time (Read 735 times)

Heres a rough idea: Typing the date, time, and place in and having the log sync with a weather website or something and have it automatically put in the data for the day time and area
    eric :)

runningsasquatch, That's something that I've thought of. I can probably rig something up for the US but since there are many international users here, I need to research the various data sources that I can use before adding this feature. eric :-)
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eric, Brian and I have discussed this. Motionbased.com currently does this automatically from the location and timestamps that come from the GPS data. You could do the same using the location for the courses when a course is selected.
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

That would be great!
            It's an interesting problem to address. Without insight into how motionbased does things on the back-end, I can only assume they have a license from one of the commercial weather vendors out there. NWS supports getting forecast data and current conditions but there's no option for historical data access. This seems to be the theme for most online weather providers. The only option would be to bulk-download weather for the whole globe every day and archive it. Which is certainly doable but not the most elegant solution to the problem (plus it seems like overkill to store gigabytes of data just for weather!). The best solution would be if there was a free (or cheap) web service which can serve historical weather data for the globe. But there don't appear to be any weather providers that: 1) are cheap or free 2) don't have nasty licensing restrictions (like requiring their ads to be displayed with the data) 3) provide detailed historical data for the globe 4) have a decent interface to get the data Any suggestions would be welcome! Big grin
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Here is what motionbased does, according to their wiki:
              Weather Weather comes from the nearest airport from the start of your activity. We capture weather data every 30 minutes so you will get weather data from that airport location for your entire activity. We are looking into more localized weather information which may switch as you enter different areas along your activity.
              Sounds like the bulk download... Perhaps RA.com could set up a new service to grab, store and license this weather data...