Trail run nutrition (Read 107 times)

Tawney008

hello...  I'm doing a 50km trail walk/run next month... My first big event (yes I know, I sure pick outrageous goals 😳😳) .... so could be out anywhere up to 25 hours. At the checkpoints they have food, eg quiche etc, I've been told, but as I'm slow there might not be much left for me!! I was wanting to get some ideas on what would be a good nutrition plan pre race, and during

So I was thinking of having some of the cliff bars might in my bags at the checkpoints, at least be a 'food group' in case I get in and the foods all gone. I can also carry one with me to nibble if I get hungry

I can't eat too much before a run so I was thinking of maybe a banana possibly on toast if I can stomach that pre run

Maybe some nuts, red frogs, etc in my backpack for every

Also I've been told to have a small packet of salted chips at the checkpoints, will help with muscle cramps?

I'm going to have a small water bottle with concentrated Electrolytes in it to sip, then will have my bladder with water

Any other tips... Apart from telling me I'm crazy 😂😂

Lauriruns

Do you havecany idea what your walk /run pace is now on long distances? Everyone is different,  but a 50K is 31 miles. .like a marathon with a 10K at the end.   For me (I wog too), that would mean being out there a little over 9 hours. I'd need more water and maybe 15 GUs (or whatever you use on long distances ).   I used a race calculator to estimate the time it would take.  Try that (they're all just gauges) and start there

Daydreamer1

Have you been training for this run? If so what is your longest run to date and what did you eat then?  What type of terrain will this be on?

Once you get into this distance there are a lot of variables.  Everyone is different in what they can eat, what they like to eat, how much they can or cannot eat etc.  The time to flesh that out is when you are doing some long runs for training.

If you do training runs of 20 miles on a handful of gels you may be able to get through a 50k with double the amount as you need for a 20 mile.

Right now your question is almost too open ended to answer because we don't have enough details. Head out for a long run this next weekend, carry a variety of foods with you and see what works best.  If the event is at the end of the month try to get in several long runs to experiment.

Kalsarikännit

And which 50k would this be that allows racers stay out for 25 hours?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

mikeymike

And which 50k would this be that allows racers stay out for 25 hours?

I wanted to ask this but didn't feel qualified.

Runners run

Kalsarikännit

I wanted to ask this but didn't feel qualified.

Don't be silly.  We all know you are saving your two cents for a question involving sleep or fueling at a fixed time 72 hour race.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

mikeymike

Don't be silly.  We all know you are saving your two cents for a question involving sleep or fueling at a fixed time 72 hour race.

Fair point--I've at least started a trail 50k ... and, 25 hours later had still not finished it. So, in a way, I'm the most qualified person to discuss this topic.

Whereas I'm pretty sure a fixed time 72 hour race is a thing you just made up.

Runners run

running metalhead

25 hours? 

I am not sure what the cut-off time for this event is but if it is a normal trail 50K the cut-off times would be in the 7-8 hours range. A fast walker could do that with not much problem putting some running into it.

Anyway, for a self supported nutrition you would need something like 180-200 calories per hour, that's more or less a Clif per hour, and for the whole race it would thus be 25.

The problem that I see is not the food but hydration: If you reach the aid stations in time before the cut-of this won't be a problem (counting that the stations are at 10km distance of each other as usual) ... but in this case you can also carry less Clifs as the stations will at least have some energy drink left.

Normally the people will know if there are runners missing and save stuff even for the eventual runners that come last. IN a 50K this is feasible. 

Thus summing up: Count at least with 180-200 cal per hour and at least 500ml of water (17 fl oz / 1 pint ).

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                  - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                  - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                  - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                  - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                  - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Anyway, for a self supported nutrition you would need something like 180-200 calories per hour, that's more or less a Clif per hour, and for the whole race it would thus be 25.

At 5g of fiber per bar, more than a 1-2 bars during the race will lead to a lot of discomfort. The typical ultra advice is the opposite, try to consume calories with little or not fiber attached. This would include sports drink, gels, pretzels, saltines, etc. Shot Blox and other energy chews are also handy. Quiche sounds like pretty good fare for really long races (8+ hours), where ingesting fat and protein becomes more important than straight carbs.

To the original poster, if you are going to be spending more than 8 hours on a 50K, that also implies spending a long time between aid stations. Make sure you are able to carry enough water or sports drink in between aid stations, and stop for a few minutes to drink a few cups of fluid at each one.

kilkee

runktrun

The typical ultra advice is the opposite, try to consume calories with little or not fiber attached. This would include sports drink, gels, pretzels, saltines, etc. Shot Blox and other energy chews are also handy. Quiche sounds like pretty good fare for really long races (8+ hours), where ingesting fat and protein becomes more important than straight carbs.

My go-to during my two trail 50milers was peanut M&Ms with water and some sports drink.  I've found that the slower I run, the less sensitive my stomach is.  Racing a marathon (6:45s) with one too many GUs will send me straight to the porta-potty, but slogging an ultra (10:00s), I can put away a ridiculous amount of snacks with no problem.  That said, you can't digest much more than 200 cals/hour, especially when your body is diverting blood to your legs for your activity.

What sort of terrain is the trail race?  As other posters have mentioned, the cutoff time might be a concern, as well as the time you are on the trail between aid stations.  Definitely use the next few weeks to test out some food on training runs.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.