Poor Health, Returning to running (Read 1339 times)

Jayskydee,
    (Don't know your history here on RA, but apparently others do...)

Serious reply from me though (I may not know much though so take my words for what they're worth)....

Everybody has a uniqueness to them and varying abilities.  For you, it sounds as though you were blessed (or cursed, or simply you just happen to have) smaller feet than other men.  As such, the other people within this forum, I'm guessing, have a hard time answering your question because they simply don't know.  They may have an opinion, but they likely don't know. 

I did see one responder within the other thread who provided an answer based on his feet size situation who happened to get information from a shoe designer, but the rest of us (most of us anyway) don't run into that challenge....

So, I'd suggest speaking to people who are "in the know" from Nike, Asics and the like to get better information that any of us can likely provide....

---

As it relates to running goals and running times, don't worry about them.  Just run!  Just enjoy trying to make the 3 miles in 30 minutes become 29:30, then try for 29:00, then 28:30.... Some of those hurdles may be easier than others, but YOU can do all that YOU can do, and that's all YOU can worry about.

Cheers,
    Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Jayskydee, Regarding your first question, I never thought I could get ever run faster than 8 min/miles when I started out.  My first 5K if I remember correctly was 29:30.  

4 years and about 7000 miles later, got it incrementally down to my current 22:50, and have run a mile time trail of 6:28, still very far from 5 min/mile, but it now seems less like an impossible task, and more like a very difficult target.  So I would not rule out that 5 min/mile goal if you are patient and willing to work for 5-6 years and not get pissed off at some tough love advice you get from the others who know what they are talking about.  

jayskydee

It was 7 minutes between the original post in this thread and the second one complaining that no one had responded.  There's a bit of history here...."welcome back", jay.

Which Is why I thought no one was responding, But thanks other people, not you spaniel, their input was intresting esp about the women with one lung who ran a 4 hour marathon, if thats possible then a tiny/little bit of lung scarring isn't going to be the end of me becoming competative. I liked the answer about their being no difference between the shoes, other than colour and size. And if I have that many pair of shoes might it occur to you spaniel that I am as I always said serious about fitness?

jayskydee

Sounds like a winner to me.  Based on your past behavior, I wouldn't expect people to feel the need to spend their time doing your research for you.

MTA:  I read your last post 3 times and still can't understand it.  If you want people to answer your questions, I suggest a) treating people with a little respect and refraining from cursing at them, and b) learn to write is coherent English.  Have a GREAT day.

In coherent english, I think that is what  you were meaning. 

jayskydee

And whoever "rudely insulted" your 10 min mile PB deserves a smack upside the head. They're the one with the problem, not you.

Thanks, now I know why it was my PB I can understand criticism of it a little but not to the point of bringing up a result where some doped up twelve year old girl ran 5 miles faster than that pace.

jayskydee

jayskydee, it is perfectly okay to wear running shoes that best fit your feet, if that means women's shoes that is perfectly okay.  Smile

Other question, 5 minute miles?  No

Thanks they do fit a lot better, it was the non visible "science" I was wondering about. I think the girl in the shop was a little confused, from my own studies of women and mens feet that I could find on the internet. She was eluding to the greater height in women shoes to allegedly protect their ankles, can't see why that would not help mine too. Hmm right now with a slightly damaged lung (radiation) and not even making 3 miles in 30 minutes a 5 minute mile does seem a bit ambitious but the other story has convinced me one day I might get it done. 

jayskydee

Wonder why in both posts, he starts off with a different issue, but the one he want answered is if it's OK to wear Women's shoes.  Any psycho analysts here?

Ok from a physiological point of view, not from a style sense of view, I have pink shoes, just wondering if the pseudo scientific stuff meant anything and if, given my high ratio of fore foot width to heel width (more typical in women than men) that all those subtle differences might actually help physiologically. 

Physiology " The study pertaining to the structure and function of the human body" or a fancy term for "human biology" in other words.

jayskydee

5 minute miles might be possible at some point, but that heavily depends on your age, physical condition, but most importantly, your capacity and willingness to put in a lot of hard work.  Every fast runner had to start somewhere, and if you stick with it and consistently put in the miles and speedwork for several years you might be able to (even if you don't get to 5-minutes, a 6-8 minute mile is still nothing to be ashamed of).

I have two-three years to reach my peak, yeah even a 6 or 8 minute mile would be good.  Someone I know claimed to have done 5 minute miles when they were younger over 4 or 5 mile distances, I said that would put them close to winning a lot of amatuer races, or at least in the top 30 or so competitors. AM I right about that?

jayskydee

Jayskydee,
                    (Don't know your history here on RA, but apparently others do...)

Serious reply from me though (I may not know much though so take my words for what they're worth)....

Everybody has a uniqueness to them and varying abilities.  For you, it sounds as though you were blessed (or cursed, or simply you just happen to have) smaller feet than other men.  As such, the other people within this forum, I'm guessing, have a hard time answering your question because they simply don't know.  They may have an opinion, but they likely don't know. 

I did see one responder within the other thread who provided an answer based on his feet size situation who happened to get information from a shoe designer, but the rest of us (most of us anyway) don't run into that challenge....

So, I'd suggest speaking to people who are "in the know" from Nike, Asics and the like to get better information that any of us can likely provide....

---

As it relates to running goals and running times, don't worry about them.  Just run!  Just enjoy trying to make the 3 miles in 30 minutes become 29:30, then try for 29:00, then 28:30.... Some of those hurdles may be easier than others, but YOU can do all that YOU can do, and that's all YOU can worry about.

Cheers, 
                    Brian

I know, its cause i am in preportion I think. My feet are mabye a half size,or 3/4 size away from fitting into regular men's sixes, it is a bit of a curse, then again my feet are differently shaped too, so mabye I am lucky after all.

Feeling the growl again

Which Is why I thought no one was responding,  And if I have that many pair of shoes might it occur to you spaniel that I am as I always said serious about fitness?

Because 7 minutes is such an unreasonable time to wait for a response....

You're right.  I should have known that the number of shoes one owns is correlated with their dedication to fitness.  I forgot that Imelda Marcos was an Olympic hopeful.

I'm glad you got your answer.  Stay golden, buddy.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jayskydee

Running trainers then. If I had 20 pairs of non running shoes but no I have a lot of running trainers, you knew I meant that anyway, troll.

jayskydee

Because 7 minutes is such an unreasonable time to wait for a response....

You're right.  I should have known that the number of shoes one owns is correlated with their dedication to fitness.  I forgot that Imelda Marcos was an Olympic hopeful.

I'm glad you got your answer.  Stay golden, buddy.

See above post for my reply to this pittiful attempt at putting someonedown.

Someone I know claimed to have done 5 minute miles when they were younger over 4 or 5 mile distances, I said that would put them close to winning a lot of amatuer races, or at least in the top 30 or so competitors. AM I right about that?

Yup.  Averaging 5-minute miles would be good enough to win most local or smaller races from the 5k to the marathon.  The bigger ones that draw a lot of elites will have people running mid to high 4s.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

jayskydee

IF he hasn't incorrectly measured miles when he was younger looks like he missed the chance to win some trophies tho option 1 may be more likely....

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thanks they do fit a lot better, it was the non visible "science" I was wondering about. I think the girl in the shop was a little confused, from my own studies of women and mens feet that I could find on the internet. She was eluding to the greater height in women shoes to allegedly protect their ankles, can't see why that would not help mine too. Hmm right now with a slightly damaged lung (radiation) and not even making 3 miles in 30 minutes a 5 minute mile does seem a bit ambitious but the other story has convinced me one day I might get it done. 

I think you're right to put the word science in quotes.  There's a lot more marketing than science put into shoe design.

My advice as to goals is to enjoy your running for the running's sake.  Running is a beautiful thing.  That said, best wishes for a full recovery and continual improvement in your performance.