Are you ready to give up some football? (Read 773 times)

I didn't watch a single game this weekend knowing I'd be fed up enough watching the Packer game on Monday. 

I watched the Seattle pass rush dominate and then the Packers adjust.  I saw a decent game.  Then in the 4th quarter the bad and bizzare calls started to ruin the experience.  Little did I know it was going to get worse.

The bad calls were about even on both sides until the end.  Greg Jennings could have been injured on a spearing no-call.  That was a pretty lame roughing the passer to overturn a clean INT and give the ball back to Seattle. 

Then...that was amazing to miss the most obvious shove in the back from Tate to push Sam Shields into Bush knocking 2 of 5 Packer defenders to the ground.  But no fear right... it's obvious in this picture who has the ball isn't it?  Isn't it? 

Wake me when the refs return.  I'm out. 

Don't worry. It's nearly October, and that means its baseball time! Football sucks anyway. It's just a chess game and the real players have clipboards and wear hoodies (Belicheck).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

DoppleBock

Yes there are problems right now and it will impact the season and who makes the playoffs.  But a dominant team would not have been in the position the Packers let themselves be in ~ To bad.

There were 3 calls I thought were bad on the last drive - Roughing the passer took away the intercept.  Pass interference on 3 and 25 and the end zone stuff -

Have these officials worked as a team before this year?  Or are they the group that turned in their resume for the job and this their 1st time (year)  working together?  They basically called up their whole team (Baseball) from the different minor league teams that have never played together and we expect them to be peform at a major league level?  If at least they took crews that had worked together for 5-10 years and kept them together in the big show, they might have a chance.

But then again - All the officials signed up for the big show - big pay ... so if you cannot stand the heat - get out of the kitchen.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

It's really bad, painful to watch. A lot of them literally came from D2 college and lower, they are so clearly overmatched, just not able to keep up with the speed of the game, and not able to control the players and coaches. The games have no flow. It's a bad product right now.

I still stayed up 'til almost midnight watching the Pats/Ravens on Sunday night...shame on me I guess. I won't do that again. Not sure I can totally swear off all football but I'll be a casual observer until the real refs come back.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

I did not watch...but since I can't stop hearing about it it must have been horrible.

For clarity, is it the person whose arm is coming in from the right and is under the ball the one who was called as in posession?  Thanks. 

Wake me when the refs return.  I'm out. 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

they said the Seahawk player had simultaneous possesion and awarded a TD to Seattle (blue).

for further clarification... the hand you see on top of the ball comming from the left side of the picture is the defensive player (Packer), basically he had 2 hands wrapped around the ball and the ball was pinned to his chest for 5 seconds.  But the Seahawks player was able to stick in one hand and be awarded simultaneous possesion somehow.   

and the shove 2 seconds earlier is even more eggregious. 

Slo

But a dominant team would not have been in the position the Packers let themselves be in ~ To bad.

Exactly...If (it's always "If") the Pack played the 1st half like they did the 2nd then that last touchdown wouldn't have mattered. But the game winning touchdown call sure got a lot of attention.

Feeling the growl again

they said the Blue team had simultaneous possesion and awarded a TD to Seattle (blue).

for further clarification... the hand you see on top of the ball comming from the left side of the picture is the defensive player (Packer). 

Wow.  So apparently you only need to have a hand on the ball to have posession.

I don't watch a ton of football....I am not up on all the rules...but I can't remember a) ever seeing a play where simultaneous posession was ruled (they always seem to give it to one) or b) someone managing to have posession with only a single hand on the ball (except that one Super Bowl hand-and-helmet catch).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

(except that one Super Bowl hand-and-helmet catch).

this one was like the hand-helmet catch.  except instead of his helmet the Seahawks player secured the other side of the ball using the opponents 2 hands and chest. 

Feeling the growl again

this one was like the hand-helmet catch.  except instead of his helmet the Seahawks player secured the other side of the ball using the opponents 2 hands and chest. 

Yup.  Exactly the same then.  Big grin

DoppleBock

I could have handled that missed call better if they had not blown the previous 2 or 3 calls ... wait, call #1 = roughing passer - Took away a turnover and call #2 gave a 1st &10 instead of a 3rd and 30 (It was offensive pass interference).  Lets face it - Its not 1 bad call we are mad at.  There was at least 1/2 dozen really bad calls both sides.

To me worse than the calls are their control of the game - It is turning players into cheap shot experts and all sorts of bad habbits.  Its gotten very dirty out there and the replacement officials do not have the ability to reign it back in.

I feel really bad for them (Officials) and for us (Fans).

I read one report that more than one replacement official was fired from the Lingerie Leauge (LL) for incompetance (Could be a ploy by the LL to get attention)

I gave up watching most professional sports (except hockey) a couple years ago. I'm personally fed up with these over paid, societal rules don't apply to us thugs and cry babies. The money paid to these people is just asinine.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

DoppleBock

I could swear it off - except my wife is a huge fan of football (Not just packers) and if I want to spend some time with her on Sunday ~ I need to watch football and drink beer.

Funny role reversal ... 

I still stayed up 'til almost midnight watching the Pats/Ravens on Sunday night...shame on me I guess. I won't do that again. Not sure I can totally swear off all football but I'll be a casual observer until the real refs come back.

DoppleBock

The only professional sport I still watched was football.  Except I am a fair weather Brewer baseball fan - Been watching the last month.  Not really a baseball fan - But I figure it might be 20 years before we have winning teams again ~ So more historic curiosity. 

I gave up watching most professional sports (except hockey) a couple years ago. I'm personally fed up with these over paid, societal rules don't apply to us thugs and cry babies. The money paid to these people is just asinine.

xor

I was about 50 yards from that play last night and missed it.  (I was driving next to the stadium when the touchdown fireworks went off after they reviewed and came to their weird conclusion).

GO SEAHAWKS!

Weeeeeeeee.

Yeah, really bad officiating.  Then again, the buzz in these parts... which I don't really agree with... is that this is ok because the Seahawks got jobbed in the superbowl.  Which they did.  By "real" refs.  But two (or really, a bunch of) wrongs don't make a right.

One thing, however... the pushoff... that one doesn't always get called by "real" refs either in the middle of a hail mary chopsocky match.

Meanwhile, the pilots for American Airlines (my airline for the last 15 years) have been calling in sick and writing up maintenance crap right at departure time on their flights to ensure the schedules are all effed up.  While we can hem and haw about shitty officiating, and it really is, I want to slap some pilots around more than I want to whine about football.  And, yes, the management of American Airlines.  It's the old maintenance-write-up-at-the-last-second ploy with is pissing me off.  If you wanna walk off, do it.  But don't do it like that.