Coffee (Read 881 times)

My brain thanks you for sharing this... now, back to my Grande Guatermala Antigua With refined acidity, subtle cocoa texture and gentle spice flavors, this coffee is an elegant treasure. Antigua is a verdant region in South Central Guatemala, nestled among three volcanoes. Its coffees are nurtured by farmers with vast knowledge and passion. Coffees from Latin America are celebrated for their great balance, medium body and clean finish. (Without permission fromt the Starbucks website)
      But caffeine decreases the blood streams ability to absorb Iron. Iron carries Oxygen to the muscles. Like most things, it appears it's a gain here but lose a little there.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

jdmcgregor

All business

Everything in moderation (except moderation)

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

But caffeine decreases the blood streams ability to absorb Iron. Iron carries Oxygen to the muscles. Like most things, it appears it's a gain here but lose a little there.
          Well, not quite. Hemoglobin and serum carry oxygen to the body and muscles. Hemoglobin has iron in it and does not get made when you are iron deficient. However, most of us have excellent iron stores that are stable over time and we continue to make hemoglobin. In the presence of caffeine, we still absorb iron from the gut, but perhaps a touch less than we would normally. This matters little because, as I said, most of us have plenty to begin with. And for those of us who don't and who take supplements, the supplements will far outweigh the small effects of caffeine. There are numerous causes for iron deficiency listed in most medical texts and online resources. Caffeine consumption is rarely listed, if at all. That is because its effect is minimal in most. Smile

Go Pre!

Trent, can you move to Toronto. please...I need a new GP.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent, can you move to Toronto. please...I need a new GP.
              Do they have good food there?

Go Pre!

wicked awesome ya...you should know, you;ve visited Smile
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ya, that was a GETM question Wink
                    Blabedy bla bla bla. Why do you have to have a reason to drink or not drink coffee, fer crissake? It's not like the trilateral commission has implanted cancer causing cellphone waves laced with organ-damaging aspartame. Or have they. My dad (ex 50's football jock fwiw) used to always say that caffeine was "bad for your knees" ...with no further backup. Seems bizarre now (hydration related I'm sure) but I took it as aged wisdom when I was in highschool cross country.