2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Cal - We aren’t the oldest dudes on this thread. 😁

Yeah, you're welcome!

From the Internet.

Good luck!!!!

Lauren - as an FYI, "In Competition" is defined as the period starting 12 hours before your race starts, up through when you finish.  That means that whatever you take, if it's legal out of competition but banned in, needs to be out of your system 12 hours before your race in order to comply with the rules.

Good to know! The TUE process for ADHD looks, um, daunting. Like I would have to ask people to write letters, which is wild because that's an enormous ADHD brain hurdle, lol. I don't take my med before races, but if I were to take it the day before I'm not sure that it would be enough time not to test positive for it. Will have to do a little more digging and figure out whether I should maybe just take a day or two off before races just to be on the safe side.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Good to know! The TUE process for ADHD looks, um, daunting. Like I would have to ask people to write letters, which is wild because that's an enormous ADHD brain hurdle, lol. I don't take my med before races, but if I were to take it the day before I'm not sure that it would be enough time not to test positive for it. Will have to do a little more digging and figure out whether I should maybe just take a day or two off before races just to be on the safe side.

So....USADA used to have a whole breakdown of when non-national and recreational athletes needed TUES, and when they didn't need to worry about it (i.e. if we test you and you have it, you can just apply for the TUE then and we'll give it retroactively).  This is different from athletes in the Registered Testing Pool, who always need to get TUEs in advance.  (and it makes sense that USADA did it that way - they don't want to be processing tons of insulin TUEs from non-national athletes; at the same time, they also don't want anyone, elite or not, taking EPO or HGH without a very good reason).

I looked, and they've changed it for this year.  Now you just submit a form to them asking if you need a TUE.  My hunch is that they'll probably tell you you're fine since you're not in the RTP and it's something banned only in competiton (but don't rely on me, ask them). According to this brochure, they are lenient and understanding for non-national athletes and things like insulin and drugs banned only in competition.  So maybe not hard after all.

I should also note that USADA's regs (see part 5) specify that they will not hold the fact that you disclosed that you are on ADHD drugs against you as long as you don't compete while on those drugs while waiting to hear back from them.  So you don't need to worry about getting in trouble by submitting the form.

[and if you're wondering why I know so much about this stuff, a) I'm a lawyer, b) I run and sometimes get included in the elite fields of smaller races, c) I'm on a buncha meds, d) my career involves integrity programs, employee misconduct, and the policies we create to address those issues.  So I have both a personal interest and a professional interest in USADA's policies Smile ]

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Hey Boyd.  If you don’t mind I had a question for you about your London entry.  I don’t want to take up space on the thread so I could send it to you via email if you want to provide me with a good email address.  Let me know

Swim,

I sent it in a message  just check running ahead messages.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Swim5599

Swim,

I sent it in a message  just check running ahead messages.

Thanks buddy.  I just responded on the private message instead

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

From the Internet.

So....USADA used to have a whole breakdown of when non-national and recreational athletes needed TUES, and when they didn't need to worry about it (i.e. if we test you and you have it, you can just apply for the TUE then and we'll give it retroactively).  This is different from athletes in the Registered Testing Pool, who always need to get TUEs in advance.  (and it makes sense that USADA did it that way - they don't want to be processing tons of insulin TUEs from non-national athletes; at the same time, they also don't want anyone, elite or not, taking EPO or HGH without a very good reason).

I looked, and they've changed it for this year.  Now you just submit a form to them asking if you need a TUE.  My hunch is that they'll probably tell you you're fine since you're not in the RTP and it's something banned only in competiton (but don't rely on me, ask them). According to this brochure, they are lenient and understanding for non-national athletes and things like insulin and drugs banned only in competition.  So maybe not hard after all.

I should also note that USADA's regs (see part 5) specify that they will not hold the fact that you disclosed that you are on ADHD drugs against you as long as you don't compete while on those drugs while waiting to hear back from them.  So you don't need to worry about getting in trouble by submitting the form.

[and if you're wondering why I know so much about this stuff, a) I'm a lawyer, b) I run and sometimes get included in the elite fields of smaller races, c) I'm on a buncha meds, d) my career involves integrity programs, employee misconduct, and the policies we create to address those issues.  So I have both a personal interest and a professional interest in USADA's policies Smile ]

You're a saint! Super helpful, thanks dwave! Smile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thanks buddy.  I just responded on the private message instead

Whoa Swim is thinking about running London?  Not sure if it’s easier than CIM, but I’d take it over Berlin. 👍

LedLincoln - Welcome very old dude. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Whoa Swim is thinking about running London?  Not sure if it’s easier than CIM, but I’d take it over Berlin. 👍

Any flat course is easier than CIM - the only reason CIM faster is because it is not as dead boring as a flat course like Chicago...  Seriously, btw...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Looks like weather is right on target, came through the 10.5 mile split at 1:03:14. Go weather! 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

5k : 18:36 (5:59)

10k: 37:07 (5:58)

half: 1:18:46 (6:00)

Right at 6:00 pace

2:52:16 (2018)

Weather is through 15 mi at 1:30:22, 6:01 pace. Slowing a tiny bit. I wonder how the wind is on the back end of the course. Regardless he is on track for a massive PR.

Just looked at the overall standings and Joe is in 8th place; looks like he is kind of isolated through; 7th is >1 min ahead and 9th is >1:30 behind him. So not much blocking if the wind is a problem.

1:42:30 at 17 miles, 6:01.8 pace.

Now Weather is in 9th but only because some guy who went through the half in 1:22 now appears in 3rd place; he apparently ran the last 3.9 miles in under 13 minutes...

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks for taking over the tracking! I'm also glad you've already got the first story of 2020 lined up for Marathon Investigation.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Where is the tracking?  I can't find it on the site?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.