Ready for my first marathon! (Read 153 times)

Outside Lane

So excited to be running Chicago this weekend!  It will be my first marathon - late bloomer at 52, but really looking forward to it....excited and nervous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsMw10KVVCk&sns=em

See how they run...

Mmmmm...beer

Good luck!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

HappyFeat

So excited to be running Chicago this weekend!  It will be my first marathon - late bloomer at 52, but really looking forward to it....excited and nervous!

Good luck!

What is the YouTube link? I didn't click on it, so wondering...

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Have fun and good luck.  I'm right behind you and will be doing Marine Corps as my first on the 27th.  Yikes.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Outside Lane

Good luck!

What is the YouTube link? I didn't click on it, so wondering...

Marathon thoughts ... Pretty funny.

See how they run...

Outside Lane

Thanks for the good luck wishes!  If I can do it, anyone can!

See how they run...

degregorius

Good luck.  I'm also a late bloomer.  I'll be volunteering at the start corral in Chicago.  I'm running next month in Madison's marathon.

"Thank you Rob Thomas!!"

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Good luck, Chicago runners!

Joann Y

Enjoy it! I'm running my first marathon at Chicago this weekend as well. Nervous but excited to finally get this show on the road.

Outside Lane

It was an incredible day last Sunday.

There were so many things that came together to make it a perfect day:

- The weather (I was worried my first marathon would be ruined with rain – but weather was ideal)

- The spectators (I wore my name on my shirt – so many people encouraged me by calling me out – there were people throughout the entire 26.2).  I had many high-fives along the way.

- The other runners – all shapes and size – all ages – it really inspires you (and humbles you)

- The city of Chicago – you see it all – many neighborhoods – some great, some kind of desolate – it’s amazing

- I had trained 18 weeks to do this – you run about 4 times a week, with a long run on each Sunday progressing up to a 20 mile run about 4 weeks before the marathon – the training takes a lot of time, but your body can do incredible things to adjust

- I had watched my younger brother run in Chicago for several marathons (this was his 10th) – I always dreamed of doing it.  He ran far ahead of me with his son.  After he finished ahead of me, he came back on the course to run with me for a bit in my last mile.

- My wife and two of my daughters were there to cheer me on – the two daughters also ran a bit with me in that last mile.

- Quit smoking after 30 years (!) last new year’s eve…. I had told myself I wasn’t going to get to the marathon unless I quit for good.

The whole thing went by very fast.  I had done 20 in training so I knew I could get that far – but was worried about what it would be like past that point.  But once I was at that point, I was surprised how quickly it went to the end.

Feeling so blessed to be able to experience such an amazing day.  Smile

See how they run...

Congratulations! Now that you have a PR set, you have something to beat at your next marathon!

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Awesome!!!!! Congratulations!!! Encourages me that I can finish my first Marathon this Feb, the Austin Marathon. I'll be 67 next weekend and its had me worried. Thanks for sharing!!!!

bob e v
                            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Outside Lane

Bobev - find out if they gave pace groups in your marathon in Feb.  I knew I could run faster in first half - but didn't want to start out too fast and then crash and burn.  I found a 5:25 pace group that was doing a run/walk thing (run 2 min/walk 1 min) and that got me through the first half at a good but not too great pace.  After that I couldn't maintain that pace but continued the run/walk strategy on my own - and finished in 5:50.  Not a great time for many -but accomplished my goal of finishing.  It was generally comfortable - and I never felt that it was out of my reach.  I wish you success.  Your 20 miler in training should let you know how best to approach your race.

See how they run...

degregorius

As Keith Jackson would've said Whoaaa Nellie! That town has hills!  Good luck to you.

Awesome!!!!! Congratulations!!! Encourages me that I can finish my first Marathon this Feb, the Austin Marathon. I'll be 67 next weekend and its had me worried. Thanks for sharing!!!!