Garmin 620 accuracy issue (Read 138 times)

lagwagon

Two days in a row I've had significant issues with my 620 losing GPS contact during a critical portion of my runs (just as I speed up!).  its happened before and i expect some minor variability, but now i'm annoyed.  I see there are a number of related threads on the garmin site, but I'm wondering if anyone here is having the same issue?

Looks like there is a software update available...anyone try it and notice an improvement?

I've been advocating for the newer garmins pretty much whenever they come out.   But not sure how i'm feeling about the 620 right now.   love the form factor but would trade all the bells and whistles for better accuracy.

I'll post back after I do the update (probably next week).   if you've had similar problems, let me know what worked for you.

on the upside, yesterday I ran a 2:14 mile.

I don't know if this is related or not as I had the issue with a 210, but I had started getting wacky readings with the GPS during some runs also was posting some impressive splits like a 54 second mile. I noticed that I was sweating a lot and the underside of my watch was always all wet from sweat after my runs right where the charging terminals were. I figured that I got some sweat inside the watch through the battery terminals and it was screwing it up. I stuck it in some rice for a couple days and let it dry out. Worked fine again after that and was back to its normal accuracy. Whether or not that is your issue I don't know, but there's always a chance.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

gpb

Check the Garmin forums, seems like other people have been seeing issues with GPS on the 620.

As to sweat, if it affected the 620 that'd be a warranty issue since it's waterproof rated for 50 meters.  (the 210 is only IPX7 water resistant; i.e. showers / rain but not immersion)

BillO

I'm having accuracy issues with my 220 too, which my old 405 and 610 never had.

It it seems like it has gotten worse over time. I have all the latest software, which has helped a little, but I'm surprised it is so bad still.

My distances are always short, saying I have only run .97 when I have done a mile. It never seems to be the opposite.

lagwagon

Just a note that I updated the firmware and havent had a noticeable problem this week.  Will post back if it reappears.  Overall a great watch, just hope it continues to work better.

bap

I don't know if this is related or not as I had the issue with a 210, but I had started getting wacky readings with the GPS during some runs also was posting some impressive splits like a 54 second mile. I noticed that I was sweating a lot and the underside of my watch was always all wet from sweat after my runs right where the charging terminals were. I figured that I got some sweat inside the watch through the battery terminals and it was screwing it up. I stuck it in some rice for a couple days and let it dry out. Worked fine again after that and was back to its normal accuracy. Whether or not that is your issue I don't know, but there's always a chance.

The 600 series fixes the sweat/rain issue.

A can't wait for my 610 to break so I have an excuse to buy a 620.

Certified Running Coach
              Crocked since 2013

BillO

I have the gps 3.00 firmware now on my 220 and accuracy seems to be much better now. 

Tim_Easterday

My accuracy seems pretty good when I'm in the open, but for the love of God why can't we set the dang thing to get pace from the footpod??

islandnut

I've been trying both the SUUNTO AMBIT2 S and the Garmin 620, and they're both very accurate with no significant differences. I did update the Garmin, when I first connected it the day before yesterday, as an update was available, as there was for the Suunto yesterday. I've read about this issue in the Garmin forums and it was suggested at least, that even though your online connection with wifi or however will speed up sat acquisition, that it's better to wait for a longer period than normal, before your first run with it. That suggests there may be some problem with the pre-programming of sat location, but of course I don't know that. Again, they both track very close, and my regular running route is indicating the same distance (very close of course) as my 310XT or my 305, so it may be that you have a defective product?

I too love the form factor, and the Garmin is certainly easier to pair with tracking sites, such as RA of course, but there is something about the simplicity of the SUUNTO...I'll probably keep them both!

If the accuracy continues, you're probably still under warranty, so I'd send it back and try another.

Good-luck!