camel backs (Read 1858 times)

db7

Does anybody out there run with a camel back? If so, do you wear it so you don't have to stop at the water stops or so you can have your choice of beverage ect? I have been training with mine. It's 70 oz and not bulky. Just the pouch and hose. I find it easier to sip occasionally than to try to gulp while running or stopping to drink. Just wanted to get some different perspectives. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have a 45oz. waist model. I LOVE it. Most of my long runs are in areas where there is no water (ie rural backroads). It's just big enough to keep me hydrated for a couple of hours without being too big or bulky. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I have a waist model, and a 100 oz, multi-pocket model. I so far have only ever used them in training, not in races. As I get into some of the longer races, or more trail-oriented races, I'll probably use them more for that, too. Personally, I love 'em. They work wonderfully for me, especially since it drives me batty to have to hold something in my hands (those strap around your fist bottle holders would turn into a weapon). Plus, the pockets on the CB are great for holding whatever I need. My only big issue I've had (and it's silly, but hey), is that I have to figure out a way to bring sports drink for longer runs. So far, I've used a water bottle and tucked it under the flap on my waist CB. No issues with it falling out, either, I was surprised. Of course, I checked it every 20 seconds.....I'm weird like that. Anyway, big thumbs up from me on hydration systems.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Scout, couldn't you put your sports drink in your Camelbak? I usually dilute Gatorade to half or third strength, since full strength makes me REALLY queasy. k

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

Scout, couldn't you put your sports drink in your Camelbak? I usually dilute Gatorade to half or third strength, since full strength makes me REALLY queasy. k
            Yeah, but I want the water, too. It's only really an issue on my longer runs for mary training. I'm looking into using the little bottles like on a Fuel Belt (you can get 'em separate), or taking another bladder along for sports drink.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bah, that sounds too complicated. As it is I am already running like a pack mule with iPod, phone, pepper spray, keys, and on long runs Camelbak and GU. I don't need to add a second bladder or bottles to that mess, LOL! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

I'd be a lot more likely to own a Camelbak (Camel Bak? Camel Back? Camelback?) if they'd change the name.Their marketing department sucks. If they called it the Turbo X-9000 Personal Dihydrogen Monoxide Replenishment System, they'd sell way better. Or if they came in ninja black with night-vision goggles. That'd be good, too.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Depends on where I'm running. When I do run with I love it. Much easier to drink from the hose than from a cup. It's kinda strange running with it. I usually have to tighten up the straps or it rubs me raw. Be careful putting sports drinks in those things. I know a guy who did that and didn't clean it good enough. The next time he used it, it was full of mold.

You'll ruin your knees!

I have a Camelbak MULE w/100 oz and I use it mostly for running trails at night. I like the capacity for extra stuff, and will pack extra clothes for changing weather conditions, batteries for flashlights, extra food, etc. I only put water in it. For supported day runs, I carry either handheld water bottles or a waist belt with 2 water bottles (one water, one CLIP2), and use the pockets on the waist pack to carry extra CLIP2 powder, stash gloves, strap on a wind shell, etc... If chaffing is a problem, simply apply Body Glide or Sports Slick to the areas you normally have trouble with. I will slather up my lower back when it's warm and I don't have more than a single layer on my back... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If chaffing is a problem, simply apply Body Glide or Sports Slick to the areas you normally have trouble with. I will slather up my lower back when it's warm and I don't have more than a single layer on my back... Lynn B
                      Heck, even when I am wearing several layers I will chafe underneath mine. The first time I wore it on a long run it felt like someone was slicing at my lower back with razors as soon as I got in the shower and the water washed salty sweat into the surface abrasions...holy mutha! Body Glide completely prevents that.

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah, but I want the water, too. It's only really an issue on my longer runs for mary training. I'm looking into using the little bottles like on a Fuel Belt (you can get 'em separate), or taking another bladder along for sports drink.
                        I have the Charm (backpack model). It comes with a 50 oz. bladder, but I bought two 28 oz bladders to put in it so I could have water and Gatorade. It's worked well for me during long runs and HMs.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have one. Despite the numerous marathons and >3 hour runs I have run, I have only used it once. Just once. That was on the Pikes Peak Marathon (registration, BTW, will open and close tomorrow morning, 3/1). Six hours and forty eight minutes on foot. In the dry mountain air. On a day that ultimately warmed up. I was happy I had it then. I have not felt like I needed it any other time. On my longer runs I am happier to carry a bottle of sports drink in my hand than have a hot backpack on my back.
                            I have a back-pack model one. (And also one to go in a back-pack). No idea how big it is. But it is great for mountain biking and hiking. Never taken it running. Yet.
                            db7

I mix in gatoraid for my long runs. I clean it with h2o and now and then 1:10, bleach to h2o solution. Much eaiser than taking somthing or stashing somthing. Just wondering if I will be the only one to show up for a marathon with it on my back. If so I will be ready to run. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I rarely see anybody with them at marathons. Strangely, I see them at many 5ks.