New! Garmin Forerunner 620/220 (Read 831 times)

Tim_Easterday

I will try that. Thanks. Gotta get used to this screen tapping.

Tim, Instead of leaving the backlight on all the time why not just tap the button to illuminate the display when you want to check your watch. I run in the dark most of the time during winter with my 610 and do this without an issue, even when running workouts.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Tim, Instead of leaving the backlight on all the time why not just tap the button to illuminate the display when you want to check your watch. I run in the dark most of the time during winter with my 610 and do this without an issue, even when running workouts.

X, don't you mean: "Tap . . . tap, tap, tap" to scroll back to the screen you wanted to look at?

One of my 610 UI pet-peeves.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

xhristopher

X, don't you mean: "Tap . . . tap, tap, tap" to scroll back to the screen you wanted to look at?

One of my 610 UI pet-peeves.

I'm talking about simply pressing the button in the upper left corner which illuminates the screen for about 30 seconds. Couldn't be easier. Requires no looking. Does the 620 not do that too?

joescott

Come out with one of those and I'll buy it in a second.

I might have to hold you to that.  Wink

Nah, my feelings were not really hurt.  Hey, people are always going to have their own opinions about stuff, and as we all know you can't please everybody all the time.

BTW, on the 620, the "Save" is right in the middle of the screen after you stop.  No scrolling required.  Just touch "save."  You do have to scroll down if you want to "discard."  It has been a LONG time since I've actually used a 310XT, but my recollection is that in addition to pressing "stop" you must also "reset" by pressing and holding a key, so that is also two steps.  As I recall.  But it's been a a long time so I definitely could be wrong!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

joescott

I'm talking about simply pressing the button in the upper left corner which illuminates the screen for about 30 seconds. Couldn't be easier. Requires no looking. Does the 620 not do that too?

Yes, it does.  Exactly the same.  Both watches also have a setting for "Keys and Alerts" that automatically turns the backlight on for ANY key press or alert (such as an Auto Lap).  I am very fond of this feature because 90% of the time when I want to look at the watch it's when something has "happened", e.g., I pressed LAP or I had an AutoLap mile occur.  This is how I have my watches configured almost always.

I will confess, though, that sometimes on a particularly hard track day I will set the backlight to just STAY ON for the whole run, that way I can glance down at it as I am, say, coming through 200 and I want to know about where I should hit the 400.  In that case, I'd rather not have to dork around with the backlight button.

- Joe

Tim_Easterday

On the 310XT I just press Stop and that's it. You don't need to hold Reset unless you are going to begin another run or go biking after a run. It's already saved when you stop the workout. Once I upload to GC it resets the device.

BTW, on the 620, the "Save" is right in the middle of the screen after you stop.  No scrolling required.  Just touch "save."  You do have to scroll down if you want to "discard."  It has been a LONG time since I've actually used a 310XT, but my recollection is that in addition to pressing "stop" you must also "reset" by pressing and holding a key, so that is also two steps.  As I recall.  But it's been a a long time so I definitely could be wrong!

ultramarathon/triathlete

Both watches also have a setting for "Keys and Alerts" that automatically turns the backlight on for ANY key press or alert (such as an Auto Lap). 

Joe

Does the 220 do this too?  Also, is the 220 wifi as well?  Maybe someone said this but something I just read confused me.  I'm still waiting for my LRS to give me a call that the 220 sans heart rate monitor has arrived.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

bluerun

Super B****

Joe

Does the 220 do this too?  Also, is the 220 wifi as well?  Maybe someone said this but something I just read confused me.  I'm still waiting for my LRS to give me a call that the 220 sans heart rate monitor has arrived.

No, the 220 =/= Wifi.

I'm waiting for my 620... I SO don't need this, but I'm excited.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

joescott

Joe

Dave, as bluerun said, no Wi-Fi on the 220, but it will do a BLE connection to an iPhone (and coming soon... some Android phones) and work with Garmin Connect Mobile (free).

As for the 220 turning on the backlight automatically for "Keys and Alerts", yes!  Menu>Settings>System>Backlight>Mode>Keys/Alerts.  Very handy feature this one!

- Joe

Tim_Easterday

I really like the idea of being able to upload to an iPhone. It's about time my company-issued Crapberry has an unfortunate accident so I can upgrade (they didn't support iPhones in the past). I don't have a personal cell phone since the company phone had unlimited everything.

ultramarathon/triathlete

My LRS just emailed and my future Garmin 220 is in.  I'll nab it this weekend.

Now, just to make sure, is there any reason I'd want the 620 over the 220?  Again, I won't train with the heart rate monitor, don't care about virtual this and thats and think the touch screen is cool but not worth the extra $$.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

joescott

The Wi-Fi is a nice feature on the 620 that's not on the 220.  But otherwise based on how you will train, I think the 220 will give you everything you want and need.

- Joe

ultramarathon/triathlete

The Wi-Fi is a nice feature on the 620 that's not on the 220.  But otherwise based on how you will train, I think the 220 will give you everything you want and need.

Thanks Joe

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                            Gatorade Endurance Team

bluerun

Super B****

My LRS just emailed and my future Garmin 220 is in.  I'll nab it this weekend.

Now, just to make sure, is there any reason I'd want the 620 over the 220?  Again, I won't train with the heart rate monitor, don't care about virtual this and thats and think the touch screen is cool but not worth the extra $$.

Pretty much the main reason I went with the 620 over the 220 is because it allows for four data fields.  I mean, I do wear a HRM, and the extra features are cool, but not NECESSARY.  I'm so used to four data fields from the 310 and 910, though, that being limited to three would probably drive me crazy.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Tim_Easterday

Still playing around with my 620. GPS acquisition still takes just as long as my 310XT (several minutes). WiFi won't connect at all.

EDIT: WiFi working now. MAC address issue. Thanks Joe!