Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Where in Africa? My grandparents went through Tanganyika (now part of Tanzania) way back in the 50's.

Ok, time trial done! 19:01. Temp was 73*, DP 68-69*. The wind was negligible - 3 mph at most.
    My first thought when seeing the time was "dammit, two seconds?!". I suppose I'm fairly happy with it overall. I had hoped to be under 19 minutes, but this helped knock some of the rust off and I now have a known-good reference for a minimum of how hard I can push in a 5k and I can try improving on that in races (2 weeks out!).

I did the whole thing as close to DWave style as possible - my watch just showed HR and then 3 sec avg and lap avg power from Stryd, but I tried not checking it much. I also ignored all but one of the lap summaries that showed lap time - I only saw that one because my mind wandered just a bit during the 4th km and I hit the lap button late and I just happened to see the lap time.
    "The Burn" didn't start too badly until the 5th km when I started trying to pick up the effort.
    I primarily focused on trying to hold an even effort, keeping my breathing controlled, and counting how many times I crossed either the start or 200m line so I knew when to click the "lap" button to mark each km. One, two, three - lap! Rinse, repeat.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Piwi - they have a cheaper plate.

Gentle correction - the newer Zoom Fly has the same carbon plate as the Vaporfly, just different foam.

So...

Vaporfly: Carbon fiber plate + Zoom X foam

Zoom Fly: Carbon fiber plate + React foam

Pegasus Turbo: no plate, combo of Zoom X and React foam

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Nice. I hate/mentally unable to do time trials solo. I need someone to cheer or pace or someone to see that I don't let up. Nicely done. Pretty close and in a real race I'm sure you can break 19

JMac - Where in Africa? My grandparents went through Tanganyika (now part of Tanzania) way back in the 50's.

Ok, time trial done! 19:01. Temp was 73*, DP 68-69*. The wind was negligible - 3 mph at most.
        My first thought when seeing the time was "dammit, two seconds?!". I suppose I'm fairly happy with it overall. I had hoped to be under 19 minutes, but this helped knock some of the rust off and I now have a known-good reference for a minimum of how hard I can push in a 5k and I can try improving on that in races (2 weeks out!).

I did the whole thing as close to DWave style as possible - my watch just showed HR and then 3 sec avg and lap avg power from Stryd, but I tried not checking it much. I also ignored all but one of the lap summaries that showed lap time - I only saw that one because my mind wandered just a bit during the 4th km and I hit the lap button late and I just happened to see the lap time.
        "The Burn" didn't start too badly until the 5th km when I started trying to pick up the effort.
        I primarily focused on trying to hold an even effort, keeping my breathing controlled, and counting how many times I crossed either the start or 200m line so I knew when to click the "lap" button to mark each km. One, two, three - lap! Rinse, repeat.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Nice. I hate/mentally unable to do time trials solo. I need someone to cheer or pace or someone to see that I don't let up. Nicely done. Pretty close and in a real race I'm sure you can break 19

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - good job today in those conditions (which I know too well). Race will help you, but on the road might hurt, but I still think you may be in PR shape.

Regarding Africa, I will actually be in Tanzania! And don't worry piwi, with 0 running and lots of pre-paid food, I will add more meat for the lions to chase after.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - my 5k PR is 18:05 set over 3 years ago. Enjoy your safari!
              Keen - great job on the 5k time trial. If you only felt bad in the last km then you possibly left a bit in the tank. These are hard to get right, I'm sure you can break that PR in a 2nd try.

me - hanging on as much as I can, trying to avoid sickness before the race.

Also the F key on my macbook is dying. god dammit Apple

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey are those 50 quid zoom flys the carbon plate ones ?

Dark wave those 3 Nikes are all pricey aren't they ?

I read about that 3.5 oz New Balance. I love light for 5ks.

Keen congrats on the 5000m time trial. Doing it solo is tough.

Weirdly I feel I time trial almost better than race.

I like that I can choose the day and a dead flat course.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

Gentle correction - the newer Zoom Fly has the same carbon plate as the Vaporfly, just different foam.

So...

Vaporfly: Carbon fiber plate + Zoom X foam

Zoom Fly: Carbon fiber plate + React foam

Pegasus Turbo: no plate, combo of Zoom X and React foam

I have the Zoom Fly 2, the latest is 3.  Do you know if th V2 has the same plate as the Vaporfly?  Nike has rather complex wording  soon advertising its  it can be hard to know exactly what you're getting.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The Zoom Fly 2 Flyknit had the Carbon Fiber plate, according to this.

As for prices, according to Nike, the Vaporfly is $250, the Pegasus Turbo is $180, and the Zoom Fly is $150 (all US).

Of course, the carbon fiber plate gets turned off and doesn't work unless you pay $250....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I tend to try and not spend more than $100 US on shoes.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I tend to try and not spend more than $100 US on shoes.

You and me, both! I use shoekicker.com a lot to find deals, and also search fleabay often.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

You and me, both! I use shoekicker.com a lot to find deals, and also search fleabay often.

Me three.  Mostly I wait until runningwarehouse.com.au has sales on the shoes I like and stock up, or I pick up last season's models cheaply from Amazon or somewhere like that.

Keen - nice job on the time trial.  You'll be under 19 in a race, easy.  Time trials are great as a fitness test but it's really difficult/impossible to push yourself as hard as you would in a race.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I'm not dissing those who do buy the expensive shoes but it obviously depends on your personal situation with money etc. If money were no issue to me I certainly would like to try some of the pricier shoes.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey are those 50 quid zoom flys the carbon plate ones ?

I’m not sure as it doesn’t say on the shoe if it’s the 2 or 3 model.

Here’s a pair of ZoomFlys in my size for £60...anyone know if this is the latest model?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nike-Zoom-Fly-Sp-Mens-Running-Trainers-Aj9282-002-Uk-10-EU45-RRP-150/173986210606?epid=1349196531&hash=item288262e32e:g:8hIAAOSwTyxdPtKl

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I just googled the ZoomFly 3 and mine are obviously the older version.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)