Classical Music (Read 649 times)

bhearn

He got the colors mixed up on the keys.  You should take it back.

Yeah. That was my bad. Flemish harpsichord, French-style keyboard. But it was done sometimes.

Orff's Carmina Burana is a great work, and I think it is well accessible for neophytes.

Graet stuff

(Spelling,schmelling)

And for the record, it's Franz Josef Haydn.

Haydn smaydn, Hayden/smayden

Give Beethoven's late quartets a shot.  I think too many people dismiss the big guy because of the popularity of his symphonies.  

Also Bartok's string quartets... all of 'em. 

MTA: And, of course the famous Ravel and Debussy quartets! 

These will bend your ears around- all good suggestions.

Yeah. This is a harpsichord.

Nice- serious business there.

speedgoggles

I love that harpsichord.  Wow!!!

Myself, I am a guitarist who has just switched to violin.

And I am smiiten with the thing... So expressive.

I love everything Bach.

And my current other favourite is Heifetz's transcription of  the Prokofiev March.

Damn, bhearn, nice instrument.  And I thought I was unusual as a classical guitarist.  

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

What would you all suggest as an introduction to classical music? There are a few pieces I enjoy like The Nutcracker and Peer Gynt, but generally I'm ignorant in the area. I tend to listen more to folk, Celtic, and 60s music when I listen.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Wandering Wally

I might start here:  http://classicalmusic.about.com/od/classicalmusic101/u/classicalmusic101.htm 

Also, maybe audit a classical music appreciation class at a nearby University or through iTunesU or similar.  There are also several podcasts dedicated to teaching classical music appreciation to beginners.

Some of the classical music shows on NPR can get pretty deep into some really obscure classical music.  It can be a bit much to digest for the beginner (or even the non-beginner).  However, it can also broaden one's horizons beyond Beethoven, Bach and Mozart.

One of the authors in the 101 series linked above says to find a piece you like and build off of that.  That's good advice.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Today we went to the live HD broadcast of the Met's production of Verdi's Masked Ball at our local theater  That's another thing I recommend if available to you,  Next Saturday it will be Aida.  Should be spectacular.

xor

I see Bob's harpsichord and I'm drawn to the saying.  Ad Astra Per Aspera.  Yes, I know what it means.

But what comes up first in the RoLodex (tangent: RoLo is another of my nicknames) is that it is the state motto/slogan of Kansas.  And Ad Astra is good beer from Free State in Lawrence.

Ok then.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I see Bob's harpsichord and I'm drawn to the saying.  Ad Astra Per Aspera.  Yes, I know what it means.

But what comes up first in the RoLodex (tangent: RoLo is another of my nicknames) is that it is the state motto/slogan of Kansas.  And Ad Astra is good beer from Free State in Lawrence.

Ok then.

You pretty much nailed the Kansas trivia there...good work. I'm proud Smile

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

mandytheartist

No favorite composer, but favorite era is Middle Baroque. My iPod is dominated by the music.

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

For a modern composer of Baroke Music try the works of Peter Schickele http://www.schickele.com/ However for classical music that not considered as such I enjoy the works of Turlough O'Carolan. Although the instrument I play is not regarded as a orchestral item it's history predates written words and is classified as a Aerophone which utilizes on double reed and three single reeds...

Ohhh I can much more annoying than the harpsichordist.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

redleaf

Love this thread. Meanwhile I'm waiting for our kitchen renos to be done and then we can get someone in to look at the piano - it's in desperate need of love and attention. Then I promised myself a couple of uninterrupted hours a week to try and re-learn some of it. My husband may have to escape with the Q for a spell....

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362