Suggestions: Boston 2013 alternative? (Read 544 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I train with a bunch of guys who qualified for Boston 2013.  My BQ came too late for 2013.  However, I'd really enjoy training with these guys -- having a race on the same weekend would help sync up the training schedule.  Any suggestions?  What follows are my general criteria

-Prefer East Coast, though mid-west isn't out of the question

-expected to be 25-45F on race day

-prefer faster course (that is, mostly flat, un-windy)

- Big/Small doesn't much matter -- "known" marathon would be nice.  That is, one where if I tell someone I ran XYZ they'd probably know what I'm talking about.  But it's a small concern compared to the above

I guess a week before/after wouldn't be out of the question.

Jeff, I'm just looking at my options -- still might decided to dedicate the Spring to a BadDawg series of 5Ks. Wink

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Kalsarikännit

Check out the former Exeter, now Gansett Marathon. It is the Saturday of Boston weekend, and pretty close by (in Rhode Island). It used to be that the only way you could get in is by running five minutes faster than your BQ. I don't know if that changed when the BQ standards changed. I did it the first year. It was small and well organized. In other words, perfect. I believe it may be windy, but a flat course.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Imminent Catastrophe

I was going to say Gansett too. It's kind of the doppelgänger of Boston, with equal qualifying times but no exceptions for celebrities or charities. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Check out the former Exeter, now Gansett Marathon. It is the Saturday of Boston weekend, and pretty close by (in Rhode Island). It used to be that the only way you could get in is by running five minutes faster than your BQ. I don't know if that changed when the BQ standards changed. I did it the first year. It was small and well organized. In other words, perfect. I believe it may be windy, but a flat course.

Sounds about right . . . except my B-day is one month later, so my 3:08 time misses qualifying me by 3minus(+43seconds). Damn.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Sounds about right . . . except my B-day is one month later, so my 3:08 time misses qualifying me by 3minus(+43seconds). Damn.

I didn't know there is a higher qualifying standard than BQ.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Lots my friend.  Look at the guaranteed entry for NY.

Fonz41

Toledo is the week after Boston. It's flat and fast course, low-key, and seems to attract a pretty speedy crowd. I ran it last year and recommend it.

Toledo Glass City is not a big name race but is flat and fast. Once the half marathoners split off the course is wide open, unimpeded running. Not great if you need a pace group but good course for a PR.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Olympic Trials

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete