Lance Armstrong appears finally to have run out of rope. (Read 2702 times)

Feeling the growl again

Reading the wikipedia entry, it seems possible that substance is in many otherwise legal supplements. I remember going to GNC as a college athlete and the salesperson knowing which supplements would make us fail a NCAA test. Mostly those were ones that had ephedrine. Still, those were popular for those of us transitioning from 30 mpw to 80 overnight. 

IIRC there was a study looking at over-the-counter supplements a few years back, which found that many contained steroids and stimulants which were not reflected in the labels.  No athlete caring about their eligibility should be taking any sort of over-the-counter supplement.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Kalsarikännit

No athlete caring about their eligibility should be taking any sort of over-the-counter supplement.

Which can include "male enhancement" pills, as LaShawn Merritt discovered.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

IIRC there was a study looking at over-the-counter supplements a few years back, which found that many contained steroids and stimulants which were not reflected in the labels.  No athlete caring about their eligibility should be taking any sort of over-the-counter supplement.

Define supplement. Does this include whey protein?

It's really up to you whether you think of it as a food or a supplement... it's a component of milk.

Oh, and incidentally, your supplements may contain more than you imagine that they do:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/05/09/2109572/bodybuildingcom-agrees-to-pay.html

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Or they could just legalize everything...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jfa

I misread the title and thought he was running out of dope.

I'm on the wrong thread.

Nevermind.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If I were a pro athlete, I'd be very paranoid about what I put in my mouth.  Risk disqualification and possibly my career by trying to fool the testing labs?  Nah.  'Course, I have a hard time imagining how I'd react to 6-7 figure prizes and sponsorships.

Wing

Joggaholic

xor

Charlie Engle is a free man.

Which has nothing to do with runners using PEDs.

I just wanted to share.

DoppleBock

Plus there are a lot of things that normal people may take - Sudafed or eat that may be a banned substance or give a false positive.   

If I were a pro athlete, I'd be very paranoid about what I put in my mouth.  Risk disqualification and possibly my career by trying to fool the testing labs?  Nah.  'Course, I have a hard time imagining how I'd react to 6-7 figure prizes and sponsorships.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

. . . and so it begins.  http://i.usatoday.net/sports/cycling/06-22-12-armstrong.pdf.  In the long run, this will be good for athletes by better defining their rights.  We should have listened to Latasha Jenkins.  http://law.pepperdine.edu/dispute-resolution-law-journal/issues/volume-ten/Straubel%20Article.pdf

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/sports/lance-armstrong-files-suit-to-block-doping-charges.html

And lance says, "not so fact fast monseur pussy cat"

I did like the line from the named defendant:

Tygart said Monday that he was not surprised by Armstrong’s aggressive move, considering that other athletes “who attempted to have their own rules” have challenged the antidoping agency before, and failed.

MTA fact = fast

ref: Tom n Jerry

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                            Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Well, I hope for his sake he didn't do it all for the benjamins, 'cause Patton Boggs LLP will eat up his prize money in no time. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

Lance Armstrong aside, I am going to work "Monsieur Pussy Cat" into more conversations.