When to replace shoes when running on a treadmill (Read 85 times)

td09

Hey All,

Fairly new runner here, I just started in May and have been putting in about 15-20 miles a week in for the last few months. I was wondering how do I know when I should replace my shoes? I’ve read in various places that 300-500 miles is a pretty standard lifespan to see out of a pair give or take. I’m currenty at 400 miles though and my shoes still look and feel pretty much brand new. That being said all my running is taking place on a treadmill and I literally only take my running shoes out of the cloest for those 2-3 hours a week when I’m knocking out the miles. Shoud I keep going with them till I start seeing some wear or deterioration in the tread or swap over to my new pair fairly soon?

Thanks!

an amazing likeness

Wear is not just measured in miles. It's about when the shoe isn't doing its job anymore...so when you notice it in your ankles, knees and hips, you can tell a shoe is worn and fading.  Treadmills will give you longer life, in general. If you have a couple (or more) pairs in rotation, you can really know when the older pair is done. Overall, it's a feel thing -- when the feet feel beat up...time to move on.

I'm fairly certain a lot of input you'll get will be specific about X, Y or Z miles -- and that's fair input, someone is going to say 200 miles and the next person will point out they run 'em to 1200 miles and then hand stitch new soles on.

It's going to be a huge range, so the key is find what works for you.  Get a new pair into rotation and when you can't stand the old pair, retire 'em.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

catwhoorg

Labrat

When Shoes get too tired for the road, I use them on the TM.

Get another couple of months (or more) out of them that way, and save the new shoes for where I need the fresh cushion.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I do quite a bit of my training on the treadmill and shoes definitely last longer compared to outside. I’ve never measured shoes by miles and just go by feel. It’s good to have a few pairs in rotation...lighter shoes for faster workouts and more cushioned ones for longer runs.

I always look out for bargains and usually have about 3 new pairs stored in advance!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I recommend that you don't replace your shoes while running on a treadmill. Press the STOP button first.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Wear is not just measured in miles. It's about when the shoe isn't doing its job anymore...so when you notice it in your ankles, knees and hips, you can tell a shoe is worn and fading.  Treadmills will give you longer life, in general. If you have a couple (or more) pairs in rotation, you can really know when the older pair is done. Overall, it's a feel thing -- when the feet feel beat up...time to move on.

This is definitely my experience. My knees start getting sore when my shoes need to be replaced. I like to rotate a second pair in when my shoes hit 400 miles or so. I often can get into the 600s, but it's definitely about the feel.

Td09, you haven't made your log public, but do you use your log here at RA to track your shoe mileage? It can definitely be very handy.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

running metalhead

When to replace shoes when running on a treadmill

What's wrong with changing them when not running? Just asking.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)