how to train for marathon after a marathon? (Read 465 times)

i just managed to qual for boston on Feb 17 by the skin of my teeth and quickly signed up for Boston. I hadn't given much though to how I would train for Boston, since it's in two months. Any suggestions? I feel pretty good, though my left calf has felt like it's on the verge of cramping during my two runs since the marathon. How long should I rest before picking up the training? how much? what should I start in at for my long run? I was thinking 16, but then that seemed short, given the schedule. I've also been toying with the idea of low heart rate training, but feel it adds just another unknown to the pot. thoughts? thanks.

2008 Goals: 10k < 44, HM < 1:40, learn to use my Garmin

Imminent Catastrophe

Depends on your goals for Boston. PR? Enjoy? Finish? IMHO LHR training is a long-term thing and two months is really not enough time to benefit, except for injury avoidance. It could very well make you slower in the near-term. Personally I would try to get in a long run, 16-18 miles, every two weeks or so, it will maintain your endurance.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Scout7

I would avoid adding some new training methodology at this point. After Boston would be fine, but considering the short time line, plus the fact that your body is going to be out of whack for at least a couple weeks, I don't think it's worth it. So don't worry about the HR training. As for training itself, best bet is to look at Higdon, Pfitz, and Daniels, and see what they have to say about it. I think that two months is plenty of time to recover and run a good race.

Good luck! I ran a PR marathon just 7 weeks after a 50k, so 2 months should be fine. Start with a reverse taper; do a lot of walking and take it easy for a week (which should just be ending), then do about 50-60% of your "normal" mileage for a week, then 80%, and then get back into it like you were for a few weeks before tapering again. A couple of 16 to 18 milers will be good for stretching out and letting your body know that it isn't done after the marathon effort, but you have your "long run" out of the way so I wouldn't bother with anything past that. My goal this year is to run a marathon at the end of march at a tempo pace and then come back 5 weeks after that for another PR. I'm not really planning on any long runs in April, but will probably do a few 13 milers and a 16 miler in the snow (which will presumably still be around up here through May)

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Depends on your goals for Boston. PR? Enjoy? Finish?
            No, just want to enjoy it (is that possible?). This was my 4th marathon, two of the others were just plain miserable, and I'd rather not relive that ever again. PR'ing someday would be great, but I'm feel far off from where I was and am trying to be zen about the time-thing. That said, I'm looking to survive the hills and be able enjoy Boston before and after the marathon. The posts here have given me encouragement that I have enough time to recover and run. I'm thinking no hard runs, just easy days and then the typical long runs every two weeks.
            IMHO LHR training is a long-term thing and two months is really not enough time to benefit, except for injury avoidance. It could very well make you slower in the near-term.
            This part is probably for the LHR forum, but, yeah, I'm afraid of the LHR training. It seems to have such real benefit (without injury, just massive early frustation Undecided) tho. I keep meaning to try it. thanks RA!

2008 Goals: 10k < 44, HM < 1:40, learn to use my Garmin