2020 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 408 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Anyone have predictions for a cut off time, or want to place bets on the race happening?

anyone think less people will apply this year due to COVID 19?

could this be the year where a BQ gets you in because not enough people who are faster than their times apply?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Anyone have predictions for a cut off time, or want to place bets on the race happening?

could this be the year where a BQ gets you in because not enough people who are faster than their times apply?

My money’s on the April 2021 race not happening.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Julia1971

I'd be interested in knowing how close London came to putting the race on and if they were legitimately trying to hold the mass event (and not just delaying to negotiate the elite race), then I'd be curious to know what they were going to implement.  Different counties, different COVID experiences, etc. but if they were close, I think Boston happens.

As for the other questions...  Judging by the new faces I see on my usual running routes, I think we're in for another running boom.  So, I guess interest in Boston (and other races) will increase once road racing restarts.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'd be interested in knowing how close London came to putting the race on and if they were legitimately trying to hold the mass event (and not just delaying to negotiate the elite race), then I'd be curious to know what they were going to implement.  Different counties, different COVID experiences, etc. but if they were close, I think Boston happens.

As for the other questions...  Judging by the new faces I see on my usual running routes, I think we're in for another running boom.  So, I guess interest in Boston (and other races) will increase once road racing restarts.

I think London wanted to do an elite only race like Tokyo for a while and had to wait until they could fully blame COVID and be covered legally. I doubt they wanted to hold a legitimate race after how crazy the world has become over wearing a mask and going into public due to COVID 19. Can you imagine the number of people who would blame London for hosting a marathon as the starting of the second wave of COVID 19?

You know.... I never thought about how many people might have taken up running during quarantine with gyms closed. Maybe 10% increase in running because the weather was nice and it didn't require much more than a pair of shoes. Maybe runners have increased their training because they can do longer runs during the week now.

VDOT 53.37 

delicate flower

Judging by the new faces I see on my usual running routes, I think we're in for another running boom.  So, I guess interest in Boston (and other races) will increase once road racing restarts.

I've seen lots of new faces on my routes too.  But, how long will it take these newer runners to be Boston qualifiers?  I went from couch to BQ in six years.  I like seeing all the new people though, and I hope their newfound interest in running sticks.

<3

Hard to imagine London came remotely close to putting on the full race, when nothing else of any size is happening this fall. Or likely winter. (I’m looking at you, CIM. And Houston.) It’s impossible to predict next spring right now, but I’m not optimistic.

I went from couch to BQ in six years.  

About the same here. But I’m not sure it’s the new faces anyway, it’s the ones who have always been there. Judging from the forums, it seems a lot of people have been beefing up their mileage since COVID, due to extra time available for running and/or lack of other things to do. There may be more people able to qualify, plus the backlog of those who missed 2020. So by the numbers, I’d guess it’d be tougher to qualify. But even if the race is held, how many people are will still be reluctant to participate due to virus concerns? This is the big wild card to me. Even when large events resume, I think a lot of people will be avoiding them for a long time.

Dave

Julia1971

I think London wanted to do an elite only race like Tokyo for a while and had to wait until they could fully blame COVID and be covered legally. I doubt they wanted to hold a legitimate race after how crazy the world has become over wearing a mask and going into public due to COVID 19. Can you imagine the number of people who would blame London for hosting a marathon as the starting of the second wave of COVID 19?

You know.... I never thought about how many people might have taken up running during quarantine with gyms closed. Maybe 10% increase in running because the weather was nice and it didn't require much more than a pair of shoes. Maybe runners have increased their training because they can do longer runs during the week now.

Have you seen anything to indicate this was the case?  (Asking sincerely and not argumentatively.)  I've heard people speculate that insurance is/was a reason why some races haven't canceled - something about clauses in their policies that say the city has to force them to cancel - but I'm not sure I've seen how this works documented anywhere.

As (I think) I posted elsewhere, I got the impression no one in the UK wanted that race to happen.  At this point, no race director needs cover to cancel their race.  So, the fact that it took them so long is curious to me.  I'm really looking forward to Marathon Talk dropping on Wednesday to see if they have any insight.

Julia1971

I've seen lots of new faces on my routes too.  But, how long will it take these newer runners to be Boston qualifiers?  I went from couch to BQ in six years.  I like seeing all the new people though, and I hope their newfound interest in running sticks.

Well, I BQ'ed in my first marathon, so...    But, yes, I take your point.  Still, for the first time in a while I'm preparing myself to work for my BQ when I get my next chance.

scrumhalfgirl

It will be interesting to see what happens with registration. Personally, I don't think I would register for a spring 2020 race because I don't want to go through the uncertainty again of will the race happen or not for six+ months. I'm in Canada, so there's a travel factor as well (though driving distance). I'd rather hope for close-to-home races until there's a bit more certainty!

-Jess

Running Problem

Problem Child

Maybe Massachusetts will only allow instate residents to apply to reduce Covid spreading. Seems like traveling within a state is allowed because there isn’t anything outside of martial law Governors can do to prevent it.

VDOT 53.37 

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

But even if the race is held, how many people are will still be reluctant to participate due to virus concerns? This is the big wild card to me. Even when large events resume, I think a lot of people will be avoiding them for a long time.

That's going to be especially true for events like Boston which draw a lot of international runners.  How many internationals are going to want to come to the US if we've still got significant numbers of cases?  Additionally, are foreign governments going to place restrictions on their people traveling to and returning from the US?  I expect that might have a damper effect on the number of internationals registering this time around.

CalBears

I almost 100% sure those are not new runners - those are people who used gyms to keep their fitness and now they just don't have a choice as to run outside. So, I do not see any potential increase in Boston qualifiers Smile.

It took me 8 months to qualify for Boston 2012. It's funny that I ran my first marathon, I just joined RWOL back then and I had some random goal of running 3:30 for my first one. I was a total newbie as I even didn't know about Boston qualifications. Missed my goal for the first marathon and 3:30 also because of, again - being a newbie - didn't know that actual course length measured by my GPS watch will be more than 26.2, so, my pace I was running was not enough to hit 3:30 - missed it by 90 seconds. After that my RWOL compatriots told me I am just 6 minutes shy to qualify for the famous race - that and the fact I already ran my first helped me to run 3:23 and qualify 4 weeks later. Great times, my god, great, simple times - times without any viruses... Sad

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Application week is getting closer and still no word from the BAA about a 2021 race. I think cal is right and I'll just need to cancel my trip. Maybe I'll wait until the latest I can and take a trip somewhere else. If 2021 doesn't happen I'll probably give up on running Boston.

VDOT 53.37 

Application week is getting closer and still no word from the BAA about a 2021 race. I think cal is right and I'll just need to cancel my trip. Maybe I'll wait until the latest I can and take a trip somewhere else. If 2021 doesn't happen I'll probably give up on running Boston.

I can't imagine that the 2021 race will happen. But I can imagine them still going through the registration process, and acting like the race is on. Until it isn't.

Dave