What celebrity deaths have affected you? (Read 349 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

The last one that I recall was Steve Jobs. A good part of my every day is spent with some Apple device, including right now, conversing with you people. He was the Edison of our generation.

Good one.  I've got a bad feeling Apple shareholders at least will be personally affected by his death.

Just to clarify...when I say "affected," I'm not talking about ash-and-sackcloth wailing over the loss of a person from our lives.  I'm always surprised when people get like that over a celebrity death, and I expect most people on this forum are a little more...stable...than to actually feel pain over the loss of someone they don't know personally.  Just looking to stir discussion over the loss of people that may have still had much to offer the cultural/political/whateveral world.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I was seriously bummed for about three days after I heard Dennis Franz died.  I used to watch that guy every week on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.  I heard he was a really good guy as well, donating a lot of time and money to help inner city youth and homeless pets.

Um, this Dennis Franz?  If so, I've got great news for you!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

I was seriously bummed for about three days after I heard Dennis Franz died.  I used to watch that guy every week on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.  

????

Dave

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

In the gone too soon category, please also add Jim Henson. Amazing creative man.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

RunJasonRun

She generously took time out of busy yachting and skiing schedule to bravely make speeches against things that no one is for.

She and her chauffeur were also driving through a crowded metropolis at dangerously high speeds just because she did not want to have her picture taken.  If the car had struck a small child on the street instead of wrecking, the public perception of Princess Diana might be somewhat different today.

I can understand, however, why Princess Diana was an inspiration to so many.  She really did a lot with what was given to her, and she raised a lot of awareness for issues that were divisive at the time (HIV patients, etc.).   I was saddened by her death along with everyone else as such.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

HermosaBoy

Um, this Dennis Franz?  If so, I've got great news for you!

Maybe Dennis Farina?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

She generously took time out of busy yachting and skiing schedule to bravely make speeches against things that no one is for.

Plenty of people were all for letting AIDS patients and lepers die in squalor and many were afraid to even be in the same room with those afflicted, preferring instead to pass ignorant judgement or wrongly believing that these things could be spread by simple contact.  She went out of her way to touch and hold these individuals -- documented in widely published photos that shed a very different picture of those suffering and legitimate risk than what had typically been portrayed.  I'd hardly put that on the same level as "brave speeches" made from cushy convention halls.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Elvis -----  I saw him in concert and he died about 2 months later.........He was out of shape and on too many prescription drugs and was still FANTASTIC during his show...

John Lennon cause it was just so soon and meaningless..........and a few years ago George Harrison because he was my favorite Beatle.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Hip Redux

I was seriously bummed for about three days after I heard Dennis Franz died.  I used to watch that guy every week on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.  I heard he was a really good guy as well, donating a lot of time and money to help inner city youth and homeless pets.

Danny Devito, Dennis Franz... same difference, and they're both alive. lol

JFK  without a doubt.  I was very young but basically I worshipped him & naively thought everyone else in America did too.  Guess I was wrong. I was at an age where I was just beginning to understand just abit about our world.  always had my hair cut like his.  of course this was before we all found out that he was just an imperfect person like the rest of us.  his murder really opened my eyes about reality.  i remember school was canceled on day of his funeral so we could all stay home & watch on tv.  those who had tv's at that time anyway.

MLK was a huge shock as well & another very harsh reminder of reality & inequality.  One of the greatest humanbeing  of all time.

John Lennon: absoulutely senseless at a time when he seemed to be finally becoming at peace with himself & his celebrity. I grew up with the Beatles & everything they said, sang, or did affected me.  Still hurts.

and my dad, although not a celebrity he had the most influence on who I am today, good or bad.  been over 20 yrs.  miss him

running metalhead

Personally: General Franco, Spain's dictator.

I was a child back then but I hated the guy to death. After his dead we were allowed to return to Spain again.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                        - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                        - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                        - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                        - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                        - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

dennrunner

Personally: General Franco, Spain's dictator.

I was a child back then but I hated the guy to death. After his dead we were allowed to return to Spain again.

Franco is still dead.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

JFK, RFK, MLK.

TakeAHike

- Phil Hartman - not mentioned in the previous list of comedians, but a highlight of SNL for many years & hilarious on NewsRadio  

Damn.  I was living abroad when Phill Hartman was killed.  I guess it was not a big international news story.  I had no idea and just read about this today.  What a shame.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

xhristopher

Jackie Chan