2 Collapse at R-N-R Raleigh. other races also. General Discussion... (Read 419 times)

First, let me begin by saying this post is about deaths occurring at races, just a general discussion.  I don't fear death and do not at all mind talking about related subjects, but advising any folks who would rather not even discuss the issue not to read on if it is uncomfortable to them.

I know this subject has come up in the past, but I have passed paramedics doing CPR on a person the last 3 major races I have run.

September 2013, ran the R-N-R  Virginia Beach Half.   An ambulance had already blocked part of the running path at about mile 1,

someone in the faster corrals had gone down and they were doing chest compressions.  He did not survive.

(Story Link:  http://wtvr.com/2013/09/04/glen-allen-man-dies-during-va-beach-rock-n-roll-half-marathon/

March 2014:  Ran the Shamrock Marathon.  A 16-year old girl finished the half, then laid down after the finish and never got up again.  She did not survive.  If you google simply the words "Shamrock Marathon" looking perhaps to register in the event or something,  several of the top hits are the story of her death...

(Story Link:  http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/virginia-teen-16-dies-moments-finishing-marathon-article-1.1725562

April 2014:   Ran the R-N-R Raleigh Inaugural Half.    I was just thinking "no ambulances this time", when I turned into mile 12, and an ambulance was blocking the course and runners diverted to the sidewalk.  Another runner had gone down, saw them doing chest compressions, he did not survive.  Apparently at a different time, another runner also went down and did not survive either.

(Story Link:    http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/04/13/3781657/two-runners-in-sundays-rock-n.html

Again, I am not trying to put the blame on races for these deaths at all, just noting them and if anyone wants to discuss them at all.  --- The last 3 major races I have run I have passed someone in this situation each race.   Anyone who is 'making the rounds' of the bigger local races like I have has seen these same things, and I wonder how it affects them when they are running a race and pass paramedics and someone in this situation who is fighting for their life...  (My 17 yr old son and the wife were driving in to pick me up post race, and were passed by the ambulance as it left the scene.   I had to explain to them the situation.  They knew of the 2 deaths in the last 2 races and when we got back to the hotel, they looked it up and had discovered the Deaths that occurred at the Raleigh race.)

Enough jabbering on from me, anyone else run any of these races, or have comments about when running a race and you come across such situations and how it affects you or family?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*yawn* Let's talk about the MUCH higher number of couch potatoes who die EVERY day due to inactivity, those who die while not running from undiagnosed heart conditions, and the MILLIONS who run races every year without so much as a heart palpitation.  The individuals who die during races are a miniscule percentage and almost certainly would have met their end from heart problems at some point, anyhow -- perhaps even earlier, with a heart not strengthened by proper use.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Again, not saying "Running races are bad for you".   I agree that someone having a heart attack in a race is very public, whereas someone having a heart attack in the armchair to be found by immediate family only is an event under the radar not ever noticed by the general public.   -----Kind of like folks who are morbidly scared to fly on a plane, but have no issue with driving on a highway full of distracted texting teenagers. (grin).

Just wondering how it affects other runners who personally see someone in this situation.   3 races in a row for me and it does cause a reaction.  (Moreso for my immediate family who have noticed the trend of these occurrences at events I have run and worry about me)...

I give them the whole "better while running than in an armchair", "if it is gonna happen, it is gonna happen" argument as well, but they have different, even if incorrect, viewpoints about it....      

To reemphasize the point, the discussion is more concerning "Does seeing runners go down in a race affect you?"  --- As we passed the ambulance in this last race on the sidewalk, a lady right behind me said with contempt "Why is that ambulance blocking the running path"! As if the Ambulance and diversion to the sidewalk was slowing down her running pace.  "Oh nothing, just trying to save that guy's life that they are doing chest compressions on" I thought to myself.......

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

CMJHawk86

*yawn* Let's talk about the MUCH higher number of couch potatoes who die EVERY day due to inactivity, those who die while not running from undiagnosed heart conditions, and the MILLIONS who run races every year without so much as a heart palpitation.  The individuals who die during races are a miniscule percentage and almost certainly would have met their end from heart problems at some point, anyhow -- perhaps even earlier, with a heart not strengthened by proper use.

This.

Any doctor will tell you, all other things being equal, your odds of living a long and healthy life are infinitely higher when running is part of the lifestyle than when it is not.

I think you have to put this in a bit of perspective.  As someone who volunteers as a medic for first aid tents at various events I can perhaps can relate a different view.  The events I work can range from sporting events like races to arts festivals to community festivals.  As the events get larger with more people in attendance so does the probability of a person experiencing a cardiac episode.  Our local Jazz festival averages at least one cardiac event per year, for example.  Some of these incidences are full blown cardiac arrests and not survived, unfortunately.  Most of the times the medics will block off the area to work on saving the individual and most people won't even realize what is going on as the area will be kept clear.

It is unfortunate that you have been part of 3 separate races where an individual has suffered.  I'd like to think that the woman who commented on the ambulance probably thought that things weren't serious.  Most first aid given is for relatively simple things like cuts and blisters!  Many racers are probably so focused on racing they might not notice too much around them anyway.  Be assured that in big city events which are organized well there are plenty of medics on staff to take care of injured people.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

A Saucy Wench

Again, I am not trying to put the blame on races for these deaths at all, just noting them and if anyone wants to discuss them at all.  --- The last 3 major races I have run I have passed someone in this situation each race.  

Hey...would you mind posting your upcoming race schedule ..just for safety's sake?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

BeeRunB

Hey...would you mind posting your upcoming race schedule ..just for safety's sake?

ha

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I know this subject has come up in the past, but I have passed paramedics doing CPR on a person the last 3 major races I have run.

Maybe someone is trying to tell you something.

steph  

*yawn* Let's talk about the MUCH higher number of couch potatoes who die EVERY day due to inactivity,

you live, you die. happens on a daily basis, cycle of life and such.

Get off my porch

Mmmmm...beer

They're like plane crashes, they draw a lot of attention, but statistically are rare.  I ran the VB RnR in '13 and Shamrock this year (the full, not the half), but didn't actually see either person.  It definitely weighs on your heart, but it's not a detractor, imo, because the odds are low.  Plus, I believe that when it's your time, it's your time, and if I could choose, I'd rather go doing something that I enjoy.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Gator eye

Yes, the thought of running myself to a heart attack has crossed my mind more than once. I also had the same thought as I sat my fat ass on the couch drinking beer which started me running in the first place. In the end, something going to get me and there is no sense of living in fear of the fact.

I think these stories impact my family more than they impact me. I have gotten quite a few lectures after a news story about runners collapsing, even one from my Doctor at my last check up.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

As the events get larger with more people in attendance so does the probability of a person experiencing a cardiac episode.  Our local Jazz festival averages at least one cardiac event per year, for example.

This.

Statistics kill.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Anytime I see someone fighting for their life it affects me.  I can definitely see where seeing this repeatedly would impact your emotions about racing, regardless of your knowing it has very little, if anything, to do with the race itself.

It is also interesting in how it brings out the best and the worst in people.  At the half I volunteered at last fall, a young man collapsed near my station.  (He ended up being fine.)  The residents of the house who were spectating rushed over with a chair and water for the young man.  A couple runners who'd been running near him stopped their races to assist him, and stayed so they could report what they'd seen to the paramedics.  Most other runners expressed concern as I directed them around the scene.

And then there was the guy driving his daughter's friend home that was pissy with me because I stopped his car and wouldn't let him down the street.  I told him an ambulance was about to pull out a few houses down, and then I'd let him go, but he kept complaining about being late.  On the up side, when the ambulance passed by with full lights and sirens, he did seem to finally catch on and look a tad ashamed.

Just wondering how it affects other runners who personally see someone in this situation.   3 races in a row for me and it does cause a reaction.  (Moreso for my immediate family who have noticed the trend of these occurrences at events I have run and worry about me)...

I'm understanding your question and surprised by others responses.

Of course it would have an impact on you as you see death occur on a few occasions.  That hasn't ever happened to me (at a race or anywhere else).

Last Sunday, there was a half Ironman in New Orleans.  The Friday before, as the athletes were arriving and getting in their last workout along the bike course, a racer who was 31 year old and a father of elementary age triplet girls was going for a bike ride with his brother in law when both of them got hit from behind in what was an accident.  The 31 year old father died at the scene and his brother in law is in critical condition with severe injuries.  (From what I understand, it was purely an accident and this is not to talk about bike safety or safe driving).
                              EVERY athlete should have a heavy heart for a fellow 'brother in sport' who dies doing what they do.

The athletic community should feel for those families.

MTA: the triathlon community has devoted a lot of effort through their forum providing opportunities for people to support those 2 families.  I believe their efforts have helped raise > $70k so far for this family in the last 4 or 5 days.

(It's kind of sad to see some of the responses I've read within this thread.  I understand their perspective and I understand the rationale for the post, but jeez.  What if their spouse or brother or running club is part of RunningAhead.  I'd like to think that RunningAhead is large enough to have them in our community)

Cheers,
                              Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I wonder if death strikes most of these unfortunate runners suddenly and without any warning?  Or do they have some early warning symptoms, which they try to run through?   I guess another way of asking is:  How often are heart attacks successfully dealt with when runners withdraw from the race and seek help after experiencing the first symptoms?