Pre marathon grub (Read 557 times)

Shay

Running my first marathon in 3 weeks. This might sound naive but, what, how much and when should one eat the day before and the morning of the marathon. Cheers
    Shay

Running my first marathon in 3 weeks. This might sound naive but, what, how much and when should one eat the day before and the morning of the marathon. Cheers
      Scout7

Firstly, Nothing new on race day! Don't start eating something new and exotic because someone else does. You don't know how you'll handle it. Secondly, generally speaking, most people try to avoid eating anything real heavy less than 3 hours before start. Here's an idea of my plan: About 3 hours before, eat a bowl of oatmeal (instant kind, it's easy, with brown sugar on top) Coffee. Maybe a banana 1-2 hours before start. Gel about 10 minutes before start of race. Drinking water throughout the time leading up to it. Your needs, however, will be different than mine.
        Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

To add to what Scout7 have mentioned, you can determine your needs during training. What do you typically eat before your long runs? Did that work for you? If it did, then you should stick to it.
          Scout7

To add to what Scout7 have mentioned, you can determine your needs during training. What do you typically eat before your long runs? Did that work for you? If it did, then you should stick to it.
            Excellent point. I should have added that as clarification to the nothing new on race days statement.
            JakeKnight

Hey, Shay! Ditto to all of the above. But I want to add something important, that I learned the hard way. First - make !$%!% sure you know how to "taper," and start today. Hopefully you're following some program that has that covered. Second - and more on topic - the eating right thing doesn't start on race day or the day before, but for the whole week ahead of time. (Actually *all* of the time, but let's focus on that last week). In that last week, do *not* go insane with carbo loading. Eat healthy. Eat light. Eat what you normally eat. Maybe a little bit more carbs, with emphasis on a little. Just don't go nuts with food in the final week. Keep it normal. Do not - I say again, do not - read some crazy article on carbo loading, and then decide that if one pasta meal might be good, a whole week's worth would be better. I did the opposite in my last marathon. It was very, very ugly. If you hit the carb dinner the night before, don't be a pig. Trust me. I'd explain just how ugly this mistake can be, but there are children present. Tongue

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Shay

Thanks for the tips Smile