2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Swim5599

I've logged several miles on the course, having lived on it, but I've never run CIM. Zero interest.

You would be waiting no doubt. But I wouldn't recommend dealing with getting over here to run it. I was going to say, unless you like to ski and can spend some time in Tahoe but skiing can be a tough thing post-marathon! So I say get your heel healed, your 3 hr and line up at Boston. His 2:48 (?) or whatever at CIM is no comparison to your 2:51 (?) at NYC.

But I have to say that none of this matters. I don't give a fuck. At the end of the day, it's who you would want to have a pint with. 👍

Fly: I wish!! I'm a Pharmacist and work in a hospital. Jacked up work schedule.

Swim: ???

I’m ok.  My hips just a little sore but it structurally feels ok.  I’m more irritated to not finish that off.  I’ve always thought I could run 2:43 and I was ready to negative split by just enough to get it under 2:44 and it feels like a big missed opportunity which is not sitting all that well with me.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

First, you do not need to spend ANY time in my garage - I would gladly have you at my house but as I mentioned, in the area where I live it's quite hard to get a house I would like to have - ok, I have to say I have a leather couch in the living room if you don't care about privacy  . Also, as I mentioned - there are plenty inexpensive alternatives. I seriously would love to go to London but you guys over there do not make it easy and inexpensive 

I think Dan K would beg to differ 😁.  London is my favourite marathon, but I think the city is a shithole. I did live there for 10 years and I can tell you it’s not the most welcoming place!  And my macho 2:51 was at London in 2016 (in Hoka Tracers 😉)

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cal - Have you ever WON a marathon?  I did this year at the Eastbourne Trackstar marathon and it was such an amazing feeling. 🥇

http://www.weruntheyrunirun.co.uk/eastbourne-trackstar-marathon-results-2019/

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Cal - Have you ever WON a marathon?  I did this year at the Eastbourne Trackstar marathon and it was such an amazing feeling. 🥇

http://www.weruntheyrunirun.co.uk/eastbourne-trackstar-marathon-results-2019/

The closest shot I had was in 2013 when I was 5th OA and ran 2:55 and the winner ran 2:40. But it got more competitive after that - I should check, but I think to win any marathon around here I should run something around 2:30 - which would be a "real macho" thing for me.  Maybe if I pick something around the country? But there are so many scavengers in this environment of competitiveness.

Yes, and I knew you didn't run 2:51 in NYC 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Andres1045

But I wouldn't recommend dealing with getting over here to run it. I was going to say, unless you like to ski and can spend some time in Tahoe but skiing can be a tough thing post-marathon!

I've mentioned this to Mikkey before, but I think San Francisco is the first place I'd recommend to visit in the US from abroad. NYC is great, but SF is way better in my opinion. So I say do it!

Upcoming races: Boston

Running Problem

Problem Child

Conscientious objectors - I think we’d have a lot of millennial snowflakes in the UK who would use that card if we had a world war right now! (don’t get me started)

I saw the news.

Russians ruin everything.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

The closest shot I had was in 2013 when I was 5th OA and ran 2:55 and the winner ran 2:40. But it got more competitive after that - I should check, but I think to win any marathon around here I should run something around 2:30 - which would be a "real macho" thing for me.  Maybe if I pick something around the country? But there are so many scavengers in this environment of competitiveness.

Yes, and knew I didn't run 2:51 in NYC 

Before they canceled the local one due to lack of participation you could win with a 2:55, except one year when the course record was set. I considered running it (shortened course) in April. I wasn’t sure if it was still a qualifier and running a 25.5 mile qualifier didn’t seem right to me.

edit: CIM gear is now 15 percent off. Www.cimstore.com and I’m still not sure if I want a Boston qualified shirt. Their $120 jacket looked nice.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

cinnamon girl

Swim - you're structurally ok? That's great news!! 👍 You had me worried thinking of a femoral neck stress fx or something. I, and I think others, would like a race report, if you have time.

Running Problem

Problem Child

CommanderKeen is across 20k at a 6:52/mi pace in Dallas. Slowed down a little at 15K because there is a little bump in elevation along the course.

VDOT 53.37 

Andres1045

Here's my week:

Mon - 7.8 @ 8:28

Tue - 6 @ 7:48

Wed - 7.1 @ 8:37

Thu - 14 @ 7:35 2 Easy, 2 Tish, 6 Easy, 2 Tish, 2 Easy

Fri - 6 @8:18

Sat - 21.2 @7:09

Sun - 8.1 @ 8:32

Total: 70

With travel and weather, I ended up pushing my workout to Thursday. I knew I wanted to get in a big long run in on Saturday, so I was concerned about doing the workout so close to the long run (and for the workout, I went with JMac's suggestion). Friday during and after my run I felt totally great. And I really didn't feel any fatigue in my legs until the last few miles of Saturday. This is certainly the strongest I've been 5 weeks out from a marathon, so that's a good sign. I'll plan to get three more weeks at 70, with the three other workouts in the progression. Might keep to a Thu/Sat schedule of workout/long run if I can manage it with the holidays. One of the next three long runs I'll put in a GMP test for the last 10 miles to see what's realistic. I'm hoping I can get it down to 6:30 or close. We'll see.

Upcoming races: Boston

cinnamon girl

That is a nice week Andres - solid! I like how you can get 70 miles even with 2 short runs of 6 miles. What was it like visiting and racing in Barcelona? You ran a half there?

M: 8 mi (8:17)
                        T: 8 mi w/5 x 1200 m (4:23) w/2 min rec in AM // 40 min TM in PM
                        W: 7.2 mi (8:20)
                        T: 8.7 mi (8:02)
                        F:  2 hr (7:50)
                        S: 45 min (8:23)
                        S: 4.8 mi (7:55)

62 mi.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Solid weeks to both of you.  Andres - I ended up shifting to a Wednesday/Saturday schedule for my last cycle (as opposed to Tuesday/Friday/Sunday) and I felt it worked well.

BTW, at Houston my friends and I will almost certainly be gathering for food/drinks post-race somewhere downtown before flying out Sunday night.. I'm guessing you'll have friends and post-race commitments already, but I'll send you the info anyway when our plans are final, in case you want to join.

Two weeks here, since I never got around to posting last week:

last  week: 60 miles, 18 "miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming
                          M: Yoga and 8 "miles" pool-running.
                          T: 12 miles, including 8 hill repeats of 60-70 seconds each, with ~2:30 jogging recovery after. Followed with leg strengthwork. Shoulder PT appt in afternoon.
                          W: 8 miles very easy (9:12), yoga, 4 miles very easy (8:49), followed by drills and 4 hill strides
                          Th: Upper body weights/core and 10 "miles" pool-running
                          F: 12 miles, including a track workout of 3200, 1600 in 12:59 (6:34/6:25) and 6:16. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards swimming.
                          Sa: 10 miles very easy (9:06), drills and four strides, upper body weights/core.
                          Su: 14 miles progressive, split as first 4 averaging 8:44, next 6 averaging 7:40, last 4 averaging 7:04. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards swimming.

this week: 64 miles, 18 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming
                          M: Yoga and 8 "miles" pool-running.
                          T: 12.5 miles, including a track workout of 2x1200, 2x800, 2x400, 2x200 in 4:42. 4:38, 3:02, 2:58, 86, 83. 42, and 41. Recoveries of 2:38-2:50 between most; 1:55 between the 400s and 1:17 between the 200s . Followed with leg strengthwork and 800 yards recovery swimming. Shoulder PT appt in afternoon.
                          W: 7.5 miles very easy (9:13), yoga, 4.5 miles very easy (8:52), followed by drills and 4 strides.
                          Th: Upper body weights/core and 10 "miles" pool-running
                          F: 12 miles, including a track tempo workout of 6400m in 26:41 (6:47/6:39/6:39/6:36). Followed with leg strengthwork and 750 yards swimming.
                          Sa: 10.5 miles very easy (8:47), drills and four strides, upper body weights/core
                          Su: 16 miles progressive, split as first 5 averaging 8:53, next 5 averaging 7:45, last 6 averaging 6:53 (plus a .5 mile cooldown). Followed with leg strengthwork and 450 yards swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

weatherboy80

DW: solid looking couple of weeks!  Looks like you are rolling again after the marathon and everything that led up to that race!

Cinnamon: Great looking week and a solid speed session!

Andres: Awesome couple of days with the Daniels inspired workout and then coming back and pushing on that LR.  Looking solid for Houston!

Me: Just passed the 3 week mark so I'm officially moving into my taper period now Smile   Had what I likely consider my toughest stretch of days as both workout days the TDP exceeded 140 (dew points at 70 or above).  Yes this is mid-December we are talking about Sad  Probably didn't adjust the effort (especially Saturday) as much as I should have, but I was still able to hit some decent turnover on each.

First workout was decent on Wednesday where I got in 18 miles with 4 X 2 threshold repeats after about 6 miles worth of EZ warmup miles.  Second workout  was easily one of the most mentally/physically draining workouts I've had this cycle where the "plan" was to run continuously at low six pace (GMP) for 14 straight after a short warmup.  Knew early on in this workout that the effort and HR was too high so I ended up breaking this into a 5, 5, and 4 mile session to grab fluids and reset a bit (probably about 30 seconds resets) and I still was able to keep the pace in the low 6 range.  This seemed to work for most of the early and middle miles, but towards the end my HR felt like I was easily past the tempo range and probably towards 5K effort.  Whoops!  If I get this kind of weather in a few weeks I know it will be crash and burn, but if I'm able to time some decent to good weather I feel like I'm ready to roll.  One good thing is that the race is in north Florida so it is likely to be a bit cooler than central or south Florida.  Looking forward to a bit of a reduction in volume over the next few weeks though.

Mon: (AM) 12.2 mil EZ hill repeats @ 7:47; (PM) 4.2 EZ @ 8:08

Tues: 11.1 EZ + strides @ 8:17

Wed: 18.4 w/ 6E + 4 X 2T@5:45 + 4.1 EZ

Thurs: 10.3 EZ @ 8:18

Fri: 7.1 EZ + strides @ 7:53

Sat: 19.1 w/ 14@6:05

Sun: 6.1 EZ @ 8:30

Total 88.5

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Andres - As I said over on Strava, your endurance is set. It will not be an issue. I think you should realize that as well given your 10K performance, where clearly endurance is not a limiting factor for a marathon runner. You need to keep focusing on these mid week Daniels-style runs and you will do great. I would also actually do 2 this week if I were you. I think you run a lot of long runs, and I'm not sure that you really need to do that given what your training has been. 3 more 21-22 milers is not going to help as you as much as 16-18 with quality in it.

Weather - I swear, if I see you screw up this taper, I'm never going to follow your training again . If you are planning on altering the Daniels taper, please come speak to me first. I'm like your Daniels therapist: I will talk you off the ledge.

Cinnamon - Keep up the consistent work!

DW - good to hear from you again, sounds like you're really back into the groove.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

LOL JMac!!  I'm actually following exactly what you did in your taper before CIM!  This week will be my last real big week of tempo stuff with 4E + 4X2T + 2/3E Wednesday followed by 2E + 3 X 2T + 8E for 16 total on Saturday with low to mid 70's for my mileage (down from the mid to upper 80's recently.  Then week two will simply be the 1T + 2M + 1T + 2M tuneup (likely Christmas Eve) followed by 90 min EZ Saturday or Sunday with low 60's for mileage.  Race week schedule is then all by time with the only workout the 3 X 1T on Tuesday followed by race day on Sunday 1/5.  Mileage will likely be further cut in half that week with a day off two days out.  Not gonna do any extra speed work at all expect for a few strides here and there.  Hopefully that doesn't seem like too much Smile

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)