watch recommendations, please (Read 531 times)

I'm looking to buy my dad a new running watch for his birthday.  He usually wears the standard stop watch, very low tech.  However, lately, when we run together, he is very interested in my Garmin 305.  Specifically, he's constantly asking me for our pace and distance throughout the run.  My dad is not a techy person by any means, so I don't want to get him anything too complicated.  However, a simple watch that shows time, pace, and distance would be ideal (minus all the bells and wistles such as HR, elevation, training zones, etc...).

Any recommendations?

Shannon

Prince of Fatness

Timex Ironman.  You can get it at Target for about $30 as I recall.  It won't give you pace, but it does do splits.  If you want something that displays pace you'll probably need to get something that has more bells and whistles, and costs more (gps, pedometer).  I think.

Not at it at all. 

chrimbler

Suunto T3 with the foot pod, it even looks like a normal watch
        Run like you stole it!

There's nothing complicated about the Garmin Forerunner.

If you don't think he'd be interested in the HR function, get him the 205. It's easier than the footpod ones, as it's all one piece, it's just a watch you put on before you run.

My 201 I basically use for time, pace and distance, and that's it. I've started wearing the HRM strap on my 305 sometimes, but really all that matters is how far I went and how fast I went.

mikeymike

There's nothing complicated about the Garmin Forerunner.

If you don't think he'd be interested in the HR function, get him the 205. It's easier than the footpod ones, as it's all one piece, it's just a watch you put on before you run.

My 201 I basically use for time, pace and distance, and that's it. I've started wearing the HRM strap on my 305 sometimes, but really all that matters is how far I went and how fast I went.

I agree. The 205 is as simple as you want it to be.  He can use start, stop and reset and never needs to hook it up to a computer if he doesn't want.  If he's lusting after your 305, it seems like an easy choice.

Runners run

Garmin 50 with a foot pod. You can get them pretty cheap on ebay. Forerunner 301, 201 are relatively inexpensive used also and have the largest display of all the Forerunners

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life