When you go for your run, do you start running right away? (Read 1650 times)

A is A

I walk to the end of the block stretching a bit and then I usually start slowly (very light effort) for at least the first mile. That's about how long it takes me to warm up and then I can settle into a faster pace/ harder effort. I always count the light effort toward my overall distance. I'm just a novice so any running is running to me.

TRIing to beat the heat!

I usually walk for about 0.2 to 0.3 miles and then I start out with a slow run. I start my watch when the slow run begins, so my overall run pace is probably off; however, that bit of inaccuracy doesn't bother me since I consistently do it for every run. I used to stretch quite a bit before my runs, but now I just do a kneeling hip flexor stretch on each side and then let the walk and early part of my run take care of the rest. Smile

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

CindyO

I always walk the first block or two before running. I combine the running total with the walking total when I record my work-out. All walking before running is recorded with the walking time of my work-out and all running of blocks, even alternating, are recorded under the running time of my work-out. Cindy Odenthal Surprised Surprised Smile
          I walk almost two blocks (about 8 minutes) to warm up and then run. I don't log it. I started this after having a couple of small injuries (calf muscle pull, sore hamstring) and have had no trouble since.

The Greatest of All Time

I run, but as others have written it takes about 1/2 mile to loosen up.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Think Whirled Peas

Hammer down, from step one. hehe. Just kidding, I have no hammer. But I do just lace 'em up and go. I'm slowly starting to learn to take the first mile real easy and then gradually build up to my normal pace. There are days though where the legs are fresh and I end up jumping on the pace from the start. I think it's just a learning process issue. I need to continually remind myself of the PURPOSE of the run for that day, and if fast ain't it, then I've got to go out easy.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

I walk almost two blocks (about 8 minutes) to warm up and then run. I don't log it. I started this after having a couple of small injuries (calf muscle pull, sore hamstring) and have had no trouble since.
                Me too - except that my first mile or so is still an exercise in creaks, pops, and moans until I get all the gears working.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

As I said in a previous post, I walk 10 minutes first & don't log that. When I was 40, I used to just hit the road running. One morning as I started out, the 85 year old lady who lived with her daughter across the street had just come out to get the morning paper and said: "My, you sure have a lot of pep" That's in my memory bank of memorable comments people have made about running.

Non ducor, duco.

You could have a specific category such as MM (slowed down to check out Matthew McConaughey).
                    Gosh, I wish that would happen.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I just run. After about 3 miles, I loosen up.
                      bone_china

After suffering from shin splints for the last year I have adopted the following routine: 1. I stretch before and after a run 2. I walk for 5 min before begining my run 3. I use the galloway method - which is run/ walk 4. I have devised my own pyramid within the galloway routine - its goes like this (run:walk ratio, repetitions) 1:1 x3, 2:1 x3, 3:1 x3, 4:1 x3, and so on....you get the drift. I cool down by walking 5 min after these ratio's are through. The earlier shorter run walk ratio helps my body ease into running. Another thing that has helped me is custom made orthotics. I have made a detailed MS Excel file that has my walk speed and run speed mapped. All I have to do is plug in values for my galloway repeats and it throws out the distance, pace, time etc.. I then update my log here on runningahead.

Lazy idiot

1. I stretch before and after a run
                          Be careful stretching before a run, as cold muscles are more susceptible to injury.

Tick tock

Marathonmanleto

I run right away. Sometimes I walk 20 yds. down to the end of the drive. Takes longer and longer to loosen up as we age. Right now it takes me ablout 2 miles--sometimes 3 if I ran hard the day b4.
                            Jake440

generally its a good idea to jog a small distance much slower than your actual training pace and then do some dynamic stretches (like drills) before you begin your run. Its a great time to get in stuff like strides, and core work. You'll be amazed how good it feels to begin a run after you have done a tough ab work out.