One last try (Read 189 times)

KillerB

I started running back in the late 70's and was a high mileage runner through the 80's & 90's until I broke down.  More miles was always better.  Keep the streak going.  Don't take a day off.  I emulated the elite runners of the time, two runs a day, 100 mile weeks.  Run for setting PR's. But, like most runners of my era we all broke down. I'm proud of the times I ran and the effort I put in.  But, I ended up not being able to run and when I did run, I comment " I used to laugh at people who ran that slow, they be better off walking" It was a humbling experience.  Now at 66, I giving it another try.  A neighbor who is a doctor, say me walking and noted that one leg was shorter than the other.  She did some measurements and added a lift to one leg, and today I ran (well jogged) 4 miles without pain.  Maybe I'll be able to run again.  This time, sensibly.

You and I are young by comparison. There was an event that just wrapped up in Tennessee, A Run For The Ages. It was a run for time, where the time limit is your age in years. Dan Baglione put down 102 miles at age 85, with the 100 mile split time TBA. This is possibly a new age group record for the 100 mile distance.

You may notice that the competitive scene is somewhat different now than the 80s/90s. Average times are slower and books such as Ultramarathon Man and Born to Run have spurred interest in the trail/ultra scene. Having a goal race, whether road, trail, or ultra, can help to keep you motivated. But I also remember my grandfather, who jogged 2 miles most days into his late 70s and never raced. Regardless of what you do in the short or long term, just find the place that makes you happy.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Regardless of what you do in the short or long term, just find the place that makes you happy.

Consistently Slow but still moving!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

daviddickerson

Spam