Got 12-YO son drum set (Read 132 times)

joescott

Set it up in the basement.  He's playing it.  Having second thoughts now....

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Resident Sk8r boi

Yeah, drum kits are more a gift for nieces and nephews; or, a gift to keep at gram and gramps's house...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I should send my 12 year old over with his trombone...they could start a band!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Second thoughts? What happened to the first ones?

My 13 YO daughter asked for a drum kit for Xmas. I knew she was serious since she also plays guitar & bass so I guess wanted to complete the 1-girl rock band, but I didn't consider it for a minute. So I was surprised when my wife called me from Costco and told me she was looking at them, but wasn't sure she was crazy about the idea. I told her no parent in history has been crazy about the idea, I don't know how a single drum kit has ever been purchased. But we found the perfect solution: electronic drum kit! She listens to herself through headphones, all we hear is some tapping noises. Everybody's happy.

Kirsten, she can jam with your son in the brass section as well. She started on trombone in the middle school band & ended up switching to tuba. Which was an adventure since she was 11 when she started it, and that thing was practically bigger than her. Turns out I guess there aren't many girl tuba players.

By the way it seems musical ability skips a generation. My dad was a self-taught guitar/banjo folkie, my mom a solid classical pianist. My wife & I have a combined ~1 yr of ill-fated piano lessons ~35 years ago.

Dave

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

She has stumbled-upon the ideal way to meet guys!!!

Turns out I guess there aren't many girl tuba players.

By the way it seems musical ability skips a generation. My dad was a self-taught guitar/banjo folkie, my mom a solid classical pianist. My wife & I have a combined ~1 yr of ill-fated piano lessons ~35 years ago.

Musical ability didn't really skip a generation in our family, but DS is completely taking after my kid brother...in FAR too many ways.  I thought I got away from my brother when I went off to college, but it turns out I would give birth to his clone 10 years later. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Set it up in the basement.  He's playing it.  Having second thoughts now....

Been there. My daughter is now 15, in the high school band and doesn't practice at home much anymore, thankfully. And none of her sisters have decided to take up drums...yet.

Runners run

She has stumbled-upon the ideal way to meet guys!!!

Oh yeah, THAT'S what I'm looking for, for my daughter starting high school in the fall. Dead

Dave

Revenge of the Nerd

All the jazz greats play with brushes.  Get him some brushes.

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

I bought a Violin for one of my twins in the past... I bought another one for me as well so that we could learn together.  End result?  I can now play several songs on the Violin.  As for my son?  He quit on week Three. :-)

The other Twin wanted to play electric guitar.  I bought him one since he was absolutely stoked about learning how to play one.   (Same experience as far as the 'loudness' of it and the second thoughts).   --- It now sits in the holder in his room where it has not moved in the past 3 years....

Yep, you are either bothered because you paid for the instrument and they quit 3 weeks into it, or or you get bothered because they DO play it, and loudly... It seems that most decisions involving kids age 12 to about 18 are lose-lose situations for the parents.... Smile

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

keeponrunning

I now understand why I play piano, flute, piccolo, and guitar, but was never given a drum set.  Wink

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Fortunately, my 14-year-old is a jazz pianist.  I actually like listening to her practice.  "Take 5" is great to hear when I walk in the door.

joescott

Been there. My daughter is now 15, in the high school band and doesn't practice at home much anymore...

So this is what I'm holding out for?  3 more years!?  Gotta figure out how to better soundproof the basement in the mean time.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Oh roo roooo!

Wow, makes my issues w/a 15-year-old basset who needs to go out and pee every 2-3 hours all day long seem pretty insignificant....hats off to all you parent types!

Feeling the growl again

I would not have an issue buying my kids a drum set.

There is plenty of room in the barn.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

15-year-old basset who needs to go out and pee every 2-3 hours all day long

I read this as bassist the first few times. "Why does he need to pee so much?"