iPod FM Transmitter for Car (Read 747 times)

Last year at Valentine's Day, hubby bought me a device to plug the iPod into the cigarette lighter and transmit the iPod through a blank FM station on the car stereo. The device didn't seem to be very well-manufactured, as it recently just fell apart. Dead So now I am looking for a new one. We spend 1,000 miles on the road once a month to pick up his son and we like to listen to Dave Ramsey podcasts on those drives. There seem to be a lot of these items on the market and I don't want to buy one that falls apart again! Angry Any recommendations? MTA: just found the model he bought me last year: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7384332&type=product&id=1122654250706
    ---- Cynthia
      I'm not cool enough to have an iPod, but my son is. I bought this Kensington FM iPod transmitter so he could play DJ on the road. The power adapter/transmitter that goes into the cigarette lighter is very small and light, as opposed to the bulky unit you had. It doesn't act as a holder like yours, but you can put the iPod wherever you want (the cord that runs to the iPod is long enough to reach a backseat DJ in my tiny little Jeep Wrangler). Unlike universal transmitters, this one has an iPod specific connector which powers and charges the iPod when it is in use. We've had no problems with it, the performance has been very good. I got mine from Buy.com, and paid about $15.00 after rebate. It's a lot spendier at the moment.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Wow that has gotten great reviews on Buy.com, thanks for the recommendation!! Having a holster isn't a huge concern for me. I just want one that will work a year from now and not fall apart like this last one did!
        ---- Cynthia
          I have a Griffin iTrip which works decent (definitely not GREAT) when you are out in the boonies (like Kansas). Here in Texas, they don't work well at all cause almost every FM channel has something on it... including heavy crosstalk. I use the iTrip now just as a power supply for my ipod now after purchasing a Sony tape adapter. The tape adapter works a lot better with the ipod. If you have the money a in-dash unit with a audio in or ipod connector jack. If you are listening to Dave Ramsey, I suggest you buy your next adapter off ebay... you'll save a bunch. Some podcasts I listen to: Sound Investing This American Life There is an old Julia Sweeney (former SNL lady) that was one of my favorites. By the way is the device you posted the iBillyClub?

Vim

Not really on topic... but I liked Good Sense Money a bit better than Dave Ramsey's "plan".

Vim

Ahh it looks like it is sold out EVERYWHERE! I will have to check eBay and see if anyone there has it.
              ---- Cynthia
                My car actually has an input lack for MP3 players, which is wonderful. My husband (engineer) likes the things that go in your car's tape player. They work great and are MUCH better than trying to tune in an FM station.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

My car doesnt have a cassette deck. Sad Sad
                  ---- Cynthia
                    I have a Griffin iTrip which works decent (definitely not GREAT) when you are out in the boonies (like Kansas). Here in Texas, they don't work well at all cause almost every FM channel has something on it... including heavy crosstalk. I use the iTrip now just as a power supply for my ipod now after purchasing a Sony tape adapter. The tape adapter works a lot better with the ipod. If you have the money a in-dash unit with a audio in or ipod connector jack. If you are listening to Dave Ramsey, I suggest you buy your next adapter off ebay... you'll save a bunch. Some podcasts I listen to: Sound Investing This American Life There is an old Julia Sweeney (former SNL lady) that was one of my favorites. By the way is the device you posted the iBillyClub?
                    Ok I picked up the Griffin iTrip at Radio Shack (it is in the budget now, no worries about the price Wink). Evidently the Kensington model posted by Ed is no longer manufactured. And yeah, I realize that does look like a billy club in my origijnal post. LOL. It really isn't that big in person, maybe about 6 inches. Thanks for the feedback, all!! Big grin
                    ---- Cynthia
                      This might be complete junk, but it might be worth a $14.00 (including shipping) gamble. At that price, it might be worth picking up as a backup to your Griffin. http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=205857056&adid=17653&dcaid=17653 It's the #1 seller on buy.com at the moment, it might sell out kinda quickly.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

It really isn't that big in person, maybe about 6 inches. Thanks for the feedback, all!! Big grin
                        Surprised I dont want you talking to the GF anytime soon.
                        Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
                          HAHAHAHA! Big grin
                          ---- Cynthia
                            You also might want to check into getting it hard wired into the radio. A good car stereo shop will know what you are talking about. After that you just plug and play through one of the auxillary port on your radio...if you have them. just my $.02
                            2009 Goals...:
                            -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon
                              Here in Texas, they don't work well at all cause almost every FM channel has something on it... including heavy crosstalk.
                              That's the key. If you can't find a clear FM channel, they don't work that well. I live in NJ and almost every FM channel has a signal or partial signal. As a result, the FM transmitter doesn't work well. I had to keep changing the FM stations.
                              "If I control myself, I control my destiny."