Vo2max (Read 2788 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Bollocks. You quoted me before I realised I wasn't in the swamp. Apologies if my language offended anyone. Bollocks.

For mere mortals you are correct. An Olympic marathoner may be interested to isolate his/her VO2 Max in order to track improvement and therefore adjust their VO2 Max workouts. Improvements in race pace may/would be down to any number of factors.
      I doubt most Olympic marathoners know or care about their VO2 Max and I don't believe that isolating that factor would make any difference in training.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Bollocks. You quoted me before I realised I wasn't in the swamp. Apologies if my language offended anyone. Bollocks.
        The grammar offends far more than the word choice. Evil grin
        Purdey

Self anointed title

I doubt most Olympic marathoners know or care about their VO2 Max and I don't believe that isolating that factor would make any difference in training.
          Well let's agree to just leave a freakin boring discussion there then? Trent - I agree with you on the grammar. Thank you for correcting my posts. I have a paper that I'm writing at the moment - would you mind checking it for me? There's a good chap.

To effectively increase your LT I think you need to work just below it. Therefore you need to know what it is.... if you want to do it "intelligently" and "target" it. Just saying.
            There are lots of ways to increase your LT (which is not the goal but simply a measurable marker of racing fitness) including running just above, just below and nowhere near your LT (however you define it.)

Runners run

Purdey

Self anointed title

There are lots of ways to increase your LT (which is not the goal but simply a measurable marker of racing fitness) including running just above, just below and nowhere near your LT (however you define it.)
              Oh. Ok. My misunderstanding then. I was going by the commonly held (I think) belief that the best way to improve your LT was to train just under it. That way you can run at a decent enough pace (IE one that will stimulate a good training response) without accumulating lactic acid. How then can you improve your LT by training at a pace nowhere near your LT?

How then can you improve your LT by training at a pace nowhere near your LT?
                Well there are lots of good workouts to improve, for lack of a better term, LT. Long tempos, short tempos, cruise intervals, long runs and even your everyday easy runs will all do it. The best bet is to train at a variety of paces. The exact mix of the variety of paces to get the maximum results is different for every individual.

Runners run

Purdey

Self anointed title

Got ya. But then why do Pfitzinger et al all recommend improving your LT by training just below it?

Got ya. But then why do Pfitzinger et al all recommend improving your LT by training just below it?
                    Define: just There are an infinite number of paces below LT. There are an infinite number of paces above LT. Just run. And mix it up a little.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Purdey

Self anointed title

Enough. I'm going for a freaking run. At exactly 5.5% below my LT.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What does LT have to do with VO2 Max? Er, sorry, I meant VO2 Max.
                          Well they don't only recommend training just below it. And, also, how many books would they sell if they just said, "Run a lot. Mostly easy. Sometimes fast."

Runners run

Purdey

Self anointed title

Well they don't only recommend training just below it. And, also, how many books would they sell if they just said, "Run a lot. Mostly easy. Sometimes fast."
                            I guess that's what most of them end up saying. They just have to pad it out with loads of bollocks about VO2 Lactate Progression Threshold runs. Talking of bollocks. How are you Mikey?

If there is a max, there must be a min. How can I train to reduce my VO2 Min. Or should I try to increase my VO2 Min. Would it be better to have a wider range of VO2ness with a low Min and a high high, or would it be better to have a higher range with both a high min and a high max. What is the minimum range that I could expect to have. What if min >max? Confused
                              Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
                                Talking of bollocks. How are you Mikey?
                                Thanks for asking. I'm not great but getting better. I guess I could have been a better patient. But I'm stupid. I don't own any tighty-whitey's is part of the problem. Well that and the whole stupid thing. At least I thought I didn't. Turns out I had one pair of TW's in the back of the drawer. They've probably been there since high school and somehow survived a dozen moves without me ever noticing them. They do indeed make a difference. Later when I have to shower and put on grown up cloths for a meeting, I think I'm going with my winter compression underwear under the suit.

Runners run