Indoor Rowing/Concept 2 (Read 2195 times)

Bryan Castro

Hey there,

Does anyone use the Concept 2 Rower in their cross training? I have used it quite a bit having rowed in high school, but not currently using it concurrently with running "training." Here's my question:

I plan on running an 8K on Thanksgiving, then going into a winter workout "season" where I plan on doing all of my non-running activities I enjoy (weightlifting, martial arts, rowing) as well as 2-3 runs/week. I have an idea of doing an indoor rowing race in March. Will this really slow me down (not that I'm too fast to start out with) since I won't be running as much? I'd rather do more of the rowing (planning on 3 times/week) than running on the indoor track, and I'm willing to run a couple times outside in the snow and cold (Buffalo, NY).

I would think that although I would naturally lose a little speed due to less running, that my overall fitness level should be better in general.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2011-2012 Running Goals

5K under 22:00

8K under 37:30 (in 2011)

HM under 1:51:00

Complete Marathon

A Saucy Wench

I do although primarily because I have a chronic low back weakness that rowing keeps in check very nicely.  (If I can't row 30 minutes pain free then I WILL get nerve pain in my hamstring on a long run or anything with speed)

Cardiovascularly rowing does very well.  I added it as my only form of speedwork when I was rehabing and rebuilding.  On the downside it worked so well that I was able to over run my legs after. (Oddly I have found repeatedly a strong correlation between my 30 minute steady state rowing pace and my race 10Kpace - ymmv)

My guess is as long as you are still running some you wont lose too much and you'll be able to regain it fairly quickly in the spring.  Just dont make the mistake of thinking things will be equal.  Your cardio system will be ready to rock and roll, your legs will need to rebuild endurance and running specific strength.  Take some time at the beginning of spring to build your mileage before hitting it too hard.

Bottom line is that unless someone is paying you to run, do what you WANT to do.  If I had to run in an indoor track I would probably just not run at all and while running> rowing , rowing>sitting on your ass.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Bryan Castro

That makes a lot of sense. I enjoy the rowing...it is a great exercise, and despite trying to improve my running times, I do want to have some all-around athleticism which my other active hobbies help give me. In any case, I've set up a rowing category in my log so I'm looking forward to logging some rows.

As for lower back pain, I used to have that a lot, but now that I've also been lifting weights, particularly the deadlift, that has helped a bit (I think). In any case, thanks for your feedback. Very helpful!

2011-2012 Running Goals

5K under 22:00

8K under 37:30 (in 2011)

HM under 1:51:00

Complete Marathon

Seanv2

I used to row a bit and am getting back into it again. My foot is all kinds of ganked up right now and I can’t really run as much as I’d like. In order to stay somewhat fit I’m thinking of doing the concept2 holiday challenge – row 200,000 meters between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Anyone else interested?

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Read this article recently -- Why Runners Should be Rowers. Beyond that, I know very little about rowing.

I've been learning about rowing through my CrossFit classes. I'm still trying to get the technique down. The indoor rowing challenge sounds interesting.

Seanv2

Read this article recently -- Why Runners Should be Rowers. Beyond that, I know very little about rowing.

I've been learning about rowing through my CrossFit classes. I'm still trying to get the technique down. The indoor rowing challenge sounds interesting.

I think there are probably other forms of cross training that are strictly better for running (i.e. the elliptical) but I enjoy the fact that the motion is so different from running. Its also definitely easier on my ankle than the ellipitcal.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

jlvictoria

Hi guys! How do you notice your rowing workout?

Village people

I used to row a bit and am getting back into it again. My foot is all kinds of ganked up right now and I can’t really run as much as I’d like. In order to stay somewhat fit I’m thinking of doing the concept2 holiday challenge – row 200,000 meters between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Anyone else interested?

I usually do the challenge, but last year I decided to just run. I am still undecided about it, but I think I can at least do the 100k and keep up my mileage. I like that it is for charity.

Seanv2

I usually do the challenge, but last year I decided to just run. I am still undecided about it, but I think I can at least do the 100k and keep up my mileage. I like that it is for charity.

it is a nice challenge, but I can't face those hours on the rowers this year.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Village people

That is why I may stick to the 100k, 200k might be much, unless I cut back my miles.I am still thinking.

Village people

In case anyone wanders in, I am doing the Concept2 Holiday Challenge. Collectively, the community raises about $30k. There are a few charities to choose from and it helps keep away those holiday pounds.

I have a concept 2 in my garage, but seldom use it. I quite often use one at the gym - normally as a 2000m easy warmup before doing some weights.

Village people

I have a concept 2 in my garage, but seldom use it. I quite often use one at the gym - normally as a 2000m easy warmup before doing some weights.

Log it in! All you need to do is hit 100 000 metres for Concept2 to donate money.

In case anyone wanders in, I am doing the Concept2 Holiday Challenge. Collectively, the community raises about $30k. There are a few charities to choose from and it helps keep away those holiday pounds.

Tell me more about this or where I can find info. I'm back to rowing on my  Concept2 and am racking the miles on it. It's the only thing (other than walking) that I'm allowed to do right now.

Thanks,

Pam

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Village people

Go to the Concept2 website and there should be a link on the homepage. If not check under the Challenges link up top. There are a few choices for the charities and if you row 200k they send you a cute pin.

Sorry, that you are injured. Do you have 5 kids? I only ask because I have six and big families seem to be rare.