Boston Marathon 2012 (Read 2370 times)

L Train

Smile 

Quit being so effing happy.

Prince of Fatness

Quit being so effing happy.

+1

Not at it at all. 

Nice to see you two back together.  How special.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Julia1971

I survived!  I think that was the hardest physical challenge I've ever done in my life.  I tried to cry at the end, but I don't think my body was capable of making tears so I just made weird faces and noises.  Best part: my SRLopez sighting!

Time was 3:36:49.  Full race report to follow in the sub-3:30 forum.  Right now, I have a bottle of champagne making it's way from South Boston with my name on it. 

Kalsarikännit

Great job on a tough day, Julia.  Enjoy your champagne.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I survived!  I think that was the hardest physical challenge I've ever done in my life.  I tried to cry at the end, but I don't think my body was capable of making tears so I just made weird faces and noises.  Best part: my SRLopez sighting!

Time was 3:36:49.  Full race report to follow in the sub-3:30 forum.  Right now, I have a bottle of champagne making it's way from South Boston with my name on it. 

Was SRL wearing pink??

Congrats to you and the others who earned that champagne on a brutal day.  My hat is off to you all, and I look forward to the race reports!

xor

Congrats julia! that is amazing. no pink for me except pink accents in the hat. I revised my 335 plan to 345 based on how I do in Hawai'i things. First half was where I needed to be. Second half, nope. I faded a bit, but honestly I started getting a bit freaked out by the people weaving in their zombie trances so I slowed even more and drank up. Ugly 151/202 split. Yikes. Ah well... I had big fun.

xor

Oh. 50 yards or less before the finish was a dude lying in the fetal position right in the middle of the road. eek. He had two people helping him and a golf cart scattering runners trying to finish so they could get to him in the confined space. They werent trying to do cpr or anything, so that is probably good. I hope.

henryc

I saw Keith Straw waving his magic wand near DQ and my day magically went to shit from there on out.

bhearn

Winning time was faster but that's one data point...10th place in 2004 was 2:22 vs 2:18 today.  It was still the noon start in 2004, 85 degrees standing in the corral IIRC, the weather channel said 79 at the start today.  No idea how the humidity compared.  Let's just say both races were in the realm of decidedly miserable, it's hard to make a real comparison. 

Probably which year was worse is something that will be debated for some time. However, it did hit 89 in Newton today, by 1pm. The other factor was the wind... mostly, we had a 5-10 mpw tailwind, which made the temps even worse. The air was just dead; there was no cooling.

They told us at the start it was over 80, though Weather Underground disagrees.

3:54...I think....either way it's 20 on my PR. Brutal heat
                        stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

3:54...I think....either way it's 20 on my PR. Brutal heat

Oh, congratulations.  Not too shabby, especially considering the heat.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Feeling the growl again

Probably which year was worse is something that will be debated for some time.

Unless you found a couple people who did both and they agreed, I think a comparison is impossible.  Miserable is miserable.  

FWIW I don't recall the official wind in 2004...I think it was relatively calm.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

Unless you found a couple people who did both and they agreed, I think a comparison is impossible.  Miserable is miserable.  

I found a couple people and asked. The answer seems inconclusive.
                              L Train

Way to fight through, x.