Run in the winter and you will die, DIE I tell you (Read 334 times)

Don't leave your house. Something bad might happen. That seems to sum it up.

But what if there is a treadmill in your house? That causes bad things to happen too. Best to just stay in bed.

Dave

joescott

Well, you know, if she hadn't fallen off the cliff of asthma and heart attacks and amputations, I thought most of the rest of the article was OK.  Not particularly useful to those of us who have been at the sport for a while, but there are some good common sense precautions, even if they are largely of the "no duh" variety.  Sucks to slip on ice.  Check.  Twice I've done that and hit my coconut pretty hard -- once 2 or 3 years back and once a couple of weeks ago.  Wear reflective vest and maybe even a headlamp so cars can see you since you have to run on plowed roads instead of sidewalks and trails.  Check -- good idea -- cars sometimes STILL force you to jump into the snowdrift on the side of the road, but at least being visible helps the non-jerks swerve around you.  Definitely running on slushy/icy/snowy surface alters your running mechanics and can make you sore in new ways.  At least it does me.  Ditto the treadmill.  So some of the general information she gave I thought wasn't too bad.  But what in the world is a physiatrist??

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Joann Y

Well, you know, if she hadn't fallen off the cliff of asthma and heart attacks and amputations, I thought most of the rest of the article was OK.  Not particularly useful to those of us who have been at the sport for a while, but there are some good common sense precautions, even if they are largely of the "no duh" variety.  Sucks to slip on ice.  Check.  Twice I've done that and hit my coconut pretty hard -- once 2 or 3 years back and once a couple of weeks ago.  Wear reflective vest and maybe even a headlamp so cars can see you since you have to run on plowed roads instead of sidewalks and trails.  Check -- good idea -- cars sometimes STILL force you to jump into the snowdrift on the side of the road, but at least being visible helps the non-jerks swerve around you.  Definitely running on slushy/icy/snowy surface alters your running mechanics and can make you sore in new ways.  At least it does me.  Ditto the treadmill.  So some of the general information she gave I thought wasn't too bad.  But what in the world is a physiatrist??

A physical medicine and rehab doctor. They can specialize in various things like stroke rehab, sports med, etc. It's just really annoying that we have a supposedly educated person here peddling fear, feeding into that whole thing.

Joann Y

But what if there is a treadmill in your house? That causes bad things to happen too. Best to just stay in bed.

Bad things can happen there too. Maybe the la-z-boy is safer. Just hope that you don't sprain your finger pushing buttons on the remote.

I have never injured myself running in snow, however, I have fractured a vertebra walking out my front steps.  So from now on code should only allow ramps into our homes - no steps.  Right?

I'm really confused by this thread, because I thought it was firmly established that running can and will kill you in ANY season.

#artbydmcbride

I'm really confused by this thread, because I thought it was firmly established that running can and will kill you in ANY season.

None of us is getting out alive!!!

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

So running outdoors is a frost bite risk, but snowshoe or X country skiing is not.....

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Cyberic

Well, I agree with her that  there are seldom smiles on the faces of runners in extreme cold. Can't see through the balaclavas, or scarves or whatever we choose to wear for cold protection.

Question is: would that runner be smiling, sitting at home, knowing he is missing his daily run?

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Well dang.  I really should be dead by now.  So strange that I am not.  Perhaps I am an outlier.  Or more probably, I understand how to dress for the weather.

Leah, mother of dogs

Feeling the growl again

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Frostbite is another serious concern in under 5 degree wind chill and can even result in amputation.

Seriously? I've been hoping for it to get so warm. My outdoor runs are around -18 to -20*F if I'm lucky. It's been mostly colder so I've been treadmilling too much.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Gator eye

None of us is getting out alive!!!

WHAT!!!

My first post but I got a chuckle out of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UPTt6MgsOt8