New 10k PR (Read 981 times)

I raced in the Wellington Harbour Capital 10k yesterday.  My previous PR was 47.19 but I'd recently broken that in a half marathon so was very hopeful of a PR.

Despite a howling gale, and stupid cold rain I decided on a just singlet and shorts - well how cold can you really get - approach to the race. It turns out when you have to wait on the start line for 10mins, the answer is really very cold indeed.

So I started really cold, and what I thought was likely too fast. But its really hard to tell when you are that cold. So I just went with it. Km1 - 4.14 - eeek. Km2 - thinking I'm going to die on my ass - but 4.14 again. OK then. By 5k I'd slowed a little bit but decided maybe I wasn't going to die after all. 21.19 - a 36second 5k PB! 

At the turnaround I still felt amazing. So I just kept pushing. One of my friends who now lives down in Dunedin and had come back for the race came past me and I just chased her as hard as I could. I didn't catch her but the rest of the race just flew by and the finish arrived before I even realised! Time on my watch was 42.53. Chip time 42.50. Unbelievable. A 4.29 PR 

By the way despite an immediate hot shower after finishing, followed by a coffee and a steak sandwich, it still took me 4+ hours to warm up again!

The King of Beasts

thats great !! a new 10k PR always feels good and usually means that you are ready to go after a new 5k and Half marathon PR as well. 

have fun.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

WOW! Great job.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

keeponrunning

Great job, especially in those conditions!  I know what you mean about taking hours to warm up after a race.  I did a 10k in cold rain and wind once too, in 3/4 running tights and a singlet, and boy, was I cold afterwards!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

fantastic!    all those other pr's will be falling like dominoes
              Mandy, congratulations on your 4:29 PR. Savor it!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

good job mandy, that is motoring!!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Another Passion

Km1 - 4.14 - eeek. Km2 - thinking I'm going to die on my ass - but 4.14 again. OK then. By 5k I'd slowed a little bit but decided maybe I wasn't going to die after all. 
                  I LOVED this!  Way to go Mandy!  That is a MONSTER PR girl!  Congratulations!

Rick
                  "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                  "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                  runningforcassy.blogspot.com

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Great job.  I think there is nothing better then running in the cold.  The first mile always flies by because you are just trying to get warm. 

Awesome job!!

2011 Goals:
                      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)