Long Run Route (Read 974 times)

When I first started and was running roads, I just extended my regular runs on faithful paved bike path - out / back. Now, I usually look for certain topographical features to mimic a race or, in winter, which area has the best snow conditions (either hard packed to run without snowshoes or some light soft snow on top base for snowshoe running). They are usually loops of some sort with potential side excursions to use or not use as time / fatigue permit, but they might be out/back. Either way if I'm trying to run, say, 4 hr I can adjust appropriately. And if I take a wrong turn, it may become a 4.5+ hr run. Ooops. But that's the fun of experimenting. Next time I'll go back and figure out where I went wrong and find another loop.Smile I definitely need mental stimulus and the feeling that I'm going somewhere if I'm going to be run / walking for multilpe hours. I"ll use an elevation profile of race course and try to match the key features (usually size and slope of hills) of that on my routes, based on map. Sometimes I gotta explore some new territory, although I may do that on other runs if I'm not sure how much of the terrain may be runnable.
    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      I have a base course that includes hill work, I use it as the first seven miles of most long runs. It includes seven laps on a pretty steep hill, so the remaining easy flat miles are actually something to look forward to. I can either add a known course (or courses) or just wander about because I finally broke down and bought a Garmin.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I often have my wife drive me out somewhere and I try to find my way home. She's been unlucky so far...
        mdmccat

Renee the dog

Out and backs for me mostly, but I don't always head in the same direction. When I'm training for a race that won't be on the sandbars, and need some "hill" work, I get to run up the boardwalk ramp, then down the next boardwalk ramp. Then up the next ramp, then down the next ramp. Each one is 1/10 of a mi apart. That's my "hell" long run. I usually need a drink afterwards to calm down the dizziness. Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

an amazing likeness

Mostly just curious....how do most people find a route for your weekly long run? Do you just run an out-and-back, going a little farther out each week? Or do you do one large loop, and figure out how to make it larger each week? Or multiple loops?
            Jessie, What I do is think about all the various options of routes in the area, then I play around with www.gmap-pedometer.com to get a basic idea of the distance and play with different options. I go out of my way to avoid out-and-back routes, and will look for loops. If it is a totally new route, I will usually drive it first to check out the road & traffic situation to see if it even makes sense to head out that way. Sometimes, it sure can be hard to find new routes that are close to the mileage desired. I think there are about 40 miles of roads in my town, and I did 1800 miles last year in the 3 town area, so I pretty much end up on a first name basis with all the hills, dales and potholes.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I use to do the same route and just add to it, however since buying a Garmin I just go in any direction. Easy to see how far I've gone. I do miss the scenic trails along the river and lake. Won't be long now and I'll be doing all my running down there Cool

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Dustycat

The beach!
                  I live in the city. So I try to find routes where I can avoid traffic and concrete sidewalks. I'm lucky enough to live close to a large park where I could run for hours. I also have a favorite, which is running to the botanical gardens and doing loops inside. It's 8 miles back and forth and the inside loop is 2 miles. It's so nice and quiet inside that I actually enjoy the loops. I also, run to or from work to kill two birds. - R
                    I always use Google Earth for my long runs, unfortunately it's getting harder to find different and interesting route in my area. I'm getting anxious for summer to come Smile
                      I always pick different loops for my long runs (for nearly all my runs actually). Neary everything I run is trail, so I just mix them up and do different routes as often as possible. It's hard to get a trail to come out to the exact mileage/time that I want, but as long as it's within an hour or so I'm happy. Variety is the spice of life!