Rolling Stop....cycling situation (Read 1970 times)

Why don't you just spell it out more simply: I think it was wrong.

Well, it'd be too hypocritical to label it "wrong" since I'm guilty of violating rules of the road all the time. As mikeymike correctly stated, no one obeys all the traffic laws all the time.  "Wrong" implies a moral judgment, to me -- or perhaps here I am truly splitting hairs.

Also, in the interests of full disclosure, I'm fairly anti-bike these days considering that I was plowed into by a cyclist less than a month ago.  I was in the cross-walk with the right of way.  Some rider, however, decided that a "rolling stop" was appropriate.  So he rolled his stop right into me, knocking me to the pavement.  So yeah, don't expect much sympathy from me for the "rolling stop," not when I still have the scar it caused

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

dennrunner

Cyclists should quit using rolling stops as soon as motor vehicle drivers obey the speed limit.  31 mph in a 30 mph zone—sorry you broke the law—here's your ticket.

Come on people.  Use some common sense, or else turn yourself in whenever you break a traffic law.

Why is it sideways?

That sucks, Berner.

Here in Nashville, there is no knowledge of or respect for traffic laws concerning bikes--either from the standpoint of motorists or bicyclists. It's pure anarchy, which means that you're pretty much taking your life into your own hands when you ride. Like you, I almost got plowed into by a bike a couple weeks ago--he was riding in pitch black with no light, and I didn't see him as I crossed the street. He cussed me out for almost "causing him to wreck."

I ran alongside him as he pedaled furiously for about a half a mile, just grinning. I think I freaked him out.

Typically I'm more sympathetic to cyclists than I am to motorists, as I'm pretty much a car hater (and a hypocrite, owning one myself).

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I ran alongside him as he pedaled furiously for about a half a mile, just grinning. I think I freaked him out.

I know at least one runner who makes a sport of this, especially on some of the big hills nearby.

Slo

Well, it'd be too hypocritical to label it "wrong" since I'm guilty of violating rules of the road all the time. As mikeymike correctly stated, no one obeys all the traffic laws all the time.  "Wrong" implies a moral judgment, to me -- or perhaps here I am truly splitting hairs.

Also, in the interests of full disclosure, I'm fairly anti-bike these days considering that I was plowed into by a cyclist less than a month ago.  I was in the cross-walk with the right of way.  Some rider, however, decided that a "rolling stop" was appropriate.  So he rolled his stop right into me, knocking me to the pavement.  So yeah, don't expect much sympathy from me for the "rolling stop," not when I still have the scar it caused

Thank goodness it was a bike and not a car.....else you may not have had a chance to be anti motor vehicle.

I'm glad to hear it wasn't serius.

What you deal with in downtown Chicago is far from the norm. You have your share or arrogant cyclist and I would in no way defend thier actions.....if he "plowed" into to you he was not practicing a rolling stop and I suspect you already know that so lets not use someone elses actions as an example in attempt to discredit what could be good common sense practice.

Your rider was A). obviously going to fast and B). not paying attention.

That sucks, Berner.

It was 10 days before the Chicago Marathon too, so I was doubly pissed. Fortunately the only lasting damage was cosmetic.

Here in Nashville, there is no knowledge of or respect for traffic laws concerning bikes--either from the standpoint of motorists or bicyclists. It's pure anarchy, which means that you're pretty much taking your life into your own hands when you ride.

I can't help but wonder how much a person's view of this question might be influenced by where they live. Here in Chicago, I think there's a heightened awareness of the traffic laws because all the cars, bikes, runners and pedestrians share the same crowded streets. Taken to an even farther extreme, my understanding is that people in Tokyo religiously obey the traffic laws because failure to do so would be extremely dangerous given the city's population. By contrast, in Idaho, the relative population sparsity might means that rolling stops pose little to no incremental risks. Similarly, I think some people are thinking about this issue as a cars versus bikes question. To me, its a bikes versus runners question. But again, that's probably because of where I live (and also because of my recent bike collision).

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Here in Chicago, I think there's a heightened awareness of the traffic laws because all the cars, bikes, runners and pedestrians share the same crowded streets.

And here in the Boston area, all the cars, bikes, runners and pedestrians share the same crowded, meandering, 17th century cowpaths.  So we have a heightened awareness of traffic laws multiplied by pi times the square root of anarchy.

Runners run

xor

I love everybody.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Even Karno on a bike?
                    xor

Especially Dean on a bike.  That's hot.

And for the record, I do not hate Dean nor wish him harm.  Not really.

jpnairn

straw man

I believe you.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Menace to Sobriety

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

xor

Don't go to bed with no price on your head.

Also.

Keep your eye on the sparrow.

Menace to Sobriety

And dat's da name of dat tune!

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

lap

This is a stopped school bus in question, correct?

You can't pass a stopped school bus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_bus_traffic_stop_laws