2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

QuinntheEskimo

Not That Douchey

Goo would have broken sub 2:50 if not for the 13 pounds of Kinesio tape on his hamstrings.

Goo, Greg- I'll shoot for 2:46-2:48 for Boston- i was just looking for something different in training to break me out of this funk (no matter my readiness, i keep throwing up 2:52's, ack)

Daub- i ran shirtless and had a phillies visor-  i went from 2:49 to 2:52 over the last 4 miles,  i'm not sure it's possible that i passed anyone that close to the finish line given the state i was in.

bhearn

Ran 2:58:38 today at Tucson, a 3-second(!) PR. I really was not in PR shape, but it's a fast course and we had good conditions. Glad I switched from CIM. I would NOT have PRed there last week.
      Turbolegs

Ran 2:58:38 today at Tucson, a 3-second(!) PR. I really was not in PR shape, but it's a fast course and we had good conditions. Glad I switched from CIM. I would NOT have PRed there last week.

AWESOME!!!!

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

[Competitive] Jerk

bhearn - Congrats! Nice going with the unexpected PR.

I had another monster week at 106+ miles and managed to put a 16:40 5K in there yesterday, a new PR by 13 seconds. I guess people don't post weeklies here, do they? You can just look at anyone's training log. I'm planning on putting in another 100+ mile week then drop down for a week and back up to 100+ for a couple more weeks before I start adding quality for Boston.

Congrats Bhearn!

joescott

"I'm gonna stick my neck way out there.  <  2:40 in Dallas."

Spectacular, meteoric disintegration.  Settled for death march 3:09:something.  Really wanted to just step off the course and DNF, but two things kept me from doing so.  I didn't know for sure how I'd get back to the convention center, and one of my sons was there and I figured it was kind of a bad example to DNF a race.  Got a cool "Top 100 Finisher" hat at least.  Ha!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

[Competitive] Jerk

Joe - Ooooof! I've heard stories similar to yours from most of my running buddies from yesterday's race. It was a rough day and it's very typical that most people will simply not adjust to the conditions, I witnessed it in Boston's hot race in April. Unlike Boston humidity was the real killer yesterday.

xhristopher

"I'm gonna stick my neck way out there.  <  2:40 in Dallas."

Spectacular, meteoric disintegration.  Settled for death march 3:09:something.  Really wanted to just step off the course and DNF, but two things kept me from doing so.  I didn't know for sure how I'd get back to the convention center, and one of my sons was there and I figured it was kind of a bad example to DNF a race.  Got a cool "Top 100 Finisher" hat at least.  Ha!

Ouch, Joe. I can't imagine how tough that was. At least I see by your post that you are still alive. Recover quick and roll on with the fitness.

joescott

At least I see by your post that you are still alive.

Dead  barely.....  Thanks for the support guys.  Although, don't feel too sorry for me.  The weather was sucky, but I think not nearly so bad as to account for this level of complete collapse/failure.  I am happy (and deserve!) to serve as the laughingstock of RA (and especially this thread) for missing goal by half an hour.  That's got to be some kind of record.  Occasional humiliation is probably good for a man.

- Joe

bhearn

I missed my goal at my first Boston (second marathon) by 34 minutes. Sorry you had a tough day, Joe. Doesn't sound like fun conditions.

[Competitive] Jerk

Check out Logan Sherman's splits. He ran 2:47 the hard way. Oooof!

0-6.2 = 5:19/mile

6.2 - 13.1 = 6:01/mile

13.1 - 20 = 6:40/mile

20 - 26.2 = 7:30/mile

He had high hopes going into the race: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/more-sports/running/headlines/20121205-fetterman-dallas-logan-sherman-will-attempt-to-join-idols-with-win-in-dallas-marathon.ece

joescott

Check out Logan Sherman's splits. He ran 2:47 the hard way. Oooof!

Wow -- yes, I'm very familiar with the hard way.  At least I know I wasn't alone.  My splits would look a lot like his, except everything shifted slower, of course.  I guess he also missed goal by half an hour....  But since he's not on RA, he can't have my spot as laughingstock!

- Joe

I also fell short over the weekend. Ran a 3:22:16 at Rocket City.

We were right on track at the half and even through 16 or 17. Then it got ugly fast.

It was warm and windy, but I think the root cause was just that my endurance wasn't there yet. I am going to focus on getting higher weekly mileage and consistently running 7+ times a week and then try again next year. I have the speed, but not the endurance.

On the plus side, this was another big PR for me.

--

Nashville, TN

jackdyl11

Tough race, Joe.  Don't worry about it, though, everyone has to implode at some point.  At least yours was due to weather. I did it the normal way and got cocky about what kind of shape I was in.

Bhearn: Take the conditions when you can get them! Good job on the PR.

I'm not sure if we're doing this, but I had a good week - 75 miles, working my way slowly up to the 80's. 

The weather was sucky, but I think not nearly so bad as to account for this level of complete collapse/failure.  

I'll disagree. Upper 60s and 84% humidity. Ach. 

Looking forward to your next one, Joe.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus