2018 New York Marathon Thread (Read 217 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Thanks for the info mate! Wow that's a super late start, and it's on a Sunday? Someone could pretty much bring their breakfast to the starting line 

Sign up when registration opens.  Ask questions later.  You won't regret it. 

3 times I ran this, and I get up at around 4 AM for a 9:50 AM start.  Plenty of time to get and eat breakfast.  Weather is pretty cool at that time of year, so a later start is typically not an issue.  As Fred said, lately it's been on DST weekend, so you'll get an extra hour sleep.  Additionally a later start will allow for the millions of spectators cheering you on to wake up after their Saturday night partying.  They are very much part of the race.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

pfriese

Entering the athlete's village will take a bit of time.  Getting off the bus, you'll have to pass a security check, then start a bit of a walk toward your corral.  Here's what I do.

1. Skip the first set of port-o potties you see.  Everyone is in a rush to get in line, so these lines are the longest (unless the line is short, then take the opportunity).  There are plenty of other port-o potties down the road, with shorter lines.  Find those.  Standing on your feet longer than you need to is not your friend.  Visit Dunkin Donuts if you want, get a hat, coffee, food, if you want.

2. Find a nice grassy spot near your corral entrance (it will be closed to you when you get there).  Use something waterproof and disposable to sit on (space blanket, trash bag, etc).  The ground might be wet.  Make yourself nice and comfortable until the corrals open and you can enter.  Eat, drink, people watch, try to relax (hehe).

3.  Once in corral, if you're among the first to enter, got to the port-o potty asap, as there won't be lines inside, until everyone else enters the corral.  Then there will be another long line for them.

4.  Repeat #2 until the corrals begin to collapse.

5. If it's cold, DO NOT ditch your clothes too early, as there will be clothes bins inside the corrals and the penguin march to the start line.  Ditch your clothes as close to the start as you can.  Shivering waiting to start is also not your friend.  NYRR will pick them up for donation.

The time you wait will both feel like forever and like it went by in a flash.  Funky sensation, but very cool.

Thanks.

Pesto

Two quick questions to you, NYC marathon experts:

1. Does anyone know how many (or what percentage of) time qualifiers they take that have qualified through a non-NYRR race? Do they take any in the end?

2. Is it the same to qualify through a FM or a HM, does one have the same chances regardless?

Context: I live in Europe so it is hard for me to run a NYRR race, but I'd like to run the NYC marathon. I know chances of getting in through the lottery are very slim and I really don't want to pay for a package. However, I think I could meet the qualifying times (definitely for the HM and maybe for the FM).

Thanks a lot!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Never heard of someone getting rejected for a time qualifier. I imagine it’s possible if people keep getting faster like they do for Boston, but what’s going on there is a bit unique (all the ridiculous super downhill marathons specifically designed for people to “cheat” there way into the race). So technically everyone is guaranteed that does the specific NYRR races, but I think you’re set if you do run the time qualifier. The vast majority of people that get in, I imagine are through half marathons, which in my opinion are much easier than the full times. For example, the men 18-34 group is 1:21 for the half but 2:53 for the full.

Already asked and answered in this thread.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Pesto

Thanks a lot JMac!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

All I know is that I qualified in a non-NYRR half marathon in 2015 and was accepted, quickly, as I recall.

Never heard of someone getting rejected for a time qualifier. I imagine it’s possible if people keep getting faster like they do for Boston, but what’s going on there is a bit unique (all the ridiculous super downhill marathons specifically designed for people to “cheat” there way into the race). So technically everyone is guaranteed that does the specific NYRR races, but I think you’re set if you do run the time qualifier. The vast majority of people that get in, I imagine are through half marathons, which in my opinion are much easier than the full times. For example, the men 18-34 group is 1:21 for the half but 2:53 for the full.

Well this is what some of us are worried about; I don't know why the factors affecting Boston qualifying would not also ultimately affect NYC qualifying. But I guess we'll see. My first worry is running a qualifying time.

Dave

Julia1971

Well this is what some of us are worried about; I don't know why the factors affecting Boston qualifying would not also ultimately affect NYC qualifying. But I guess we'll see. My first worry is running a qualifying time.

I think NYCM is more immune because the times are much, much harder because it's not meant to be the main way people get into the race.  For the old lady age group, which gets criticized a lot by those who think Boston's standards should be harder, NYCM's standards for the marathon are pretty much local top-10 in age group times (sub-1:42 HM, sub-3:38:00 Mara.)  For Boston, the standard has to be softer because time is the way most people get in.  Edited to add: by comparison, I think the BQ for my AG was sub-3:50.

I think NYCM is more immune because the times are much, much harder because it's not meant to be the main way people get into the race.  For the old lady age group, which gets criticized a lot by those who think Boston's standards should be harder, NYCM's standards for the marathon are pretty much local top-10 in age group times (sub-1:42 HM, sub-3:38:00 Mara.)  For Boston, the standard has to be softer because time is the way most people get in.  Edited to add: by comparison, I think the BQ for my AG was sub-3:50.

Yeah, very true. Looking at my own - needed a 3:30 for BQ (now 3:25), and 3:14 for NYCMQ. That's a pretty huge difference in practical terms. Took me a lot of work to get to BQ, but a 3:14 is beyond my imagination. Fortunately I continue to get older. I never ever thought about NYCMQ, till I looked at the next AG up and realized it might be achievable (the HM time anyway). Already eyeing an HM in January....

Dave

onemile

Yeah, very true. Looking at my own - needed a 3:30 for BQ (now 3:25), and 3:14 for NYCMQ. That's a pretty huge difference in practical terms. Took me a lot of work to get to BQ, but a 3:14 is beyond my imagination. Fortunately I continue to get older. I never ever thought about NYCMQ, till I looked at the next AG up and realized it might be achievable (the HM time anyway). Already eyeing an HM in January....

The half marathon times are a lot easier to achieve than the marathon times.

Julia1971

I wondered about this because I just missed the HM standard.    I think the HM time used to be much slower than it is now.  Consulting the VDOT tables in Daniels', the 18-34 age group standards are pretty much equivalent for both the men and women - Daniels gives a time that's only about 3 minutes faster.  The gap is wider for the older age groups, though.  But, yes, I would definitely suggest going for the standard in a HM.

Agreed. Plus you can make more attempts.

Dave

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

But the full times are harder than Boston's.

Pesto

Thanks Led! This is encouraging as I was wondering what happens in practice. The way it’s worded in heir website, clearly it can ttheoretically become a situation where most people who qualify through non-NYRR races don’t get in. But knowing that it’s not like that in practice is already a motivator. I’m looking at the 2020 race anyway.

All I know is that I qualified in a non-NYRR half marathon in 2015 and was accepted, quickly, as I recall.

I completely agree that in the future it may change and that could

be worrisome. But I guess the standards are much harder than Boston (even the new standards), the field is notably larger and it is my impression that fast runners are generally more drawn to Boston than NYCM. That’s in our favor.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I really wouldn’t stress about qualifying. The whole Boston experience I think has made people worry, but I don’t think anybody has heard of a single person getting rejected. The times are much harder and if too many people qualified one year (whatever that means for NY), they would just make the standards a minute or two harder, not create the mess the BAA has created with their moving goal posts.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)