Polar F5 heart rate monitor. (Read 1204 times)

I bought a polar F5 today. They are on sale at big 5, and I had wanted one for a while so I took the plunge. I want to try it out today, but it's my rest day..... Just might have to skip my rest day.... lol
    Daddy's littel girl.
      ::giggle:: Know what'cha mean. It took me probably a month to get my HRM, including 2 returns of defective Acumens. Ended up with a PolarA3, and I've been having so much fun with it! (Can we move this thread to "Gears & Wears?") Read anything by Maffetone? I'm working on Training for Endurance right now. Good book!

Roads were made for journeys...

No I haven't. Is it worth reading?? I am searching for a good tranning guid/book. And yes, we can move this topic where ever needed. My mistake for starting this here.
        Daddy's littel girl.
          What's a "good" book really depends on where you're at and what you're looking for. Since you bought a heart rate monitor, I thought you might be interested in heart-rate training. Maffetone's a good resource for this, but I think he wouldn't be as appropriate a choice of you were a brand new runner or someone just looking to get started in running. I really have been enjoying the Maffetone approach to training because I have in the past been especially injury prone and have gotten hurt half a dozen times when I've tried to start running. Taking things super-conservatively when I was starting out really helped, and now, with this, I've been able to increase my weekly milage pretty dramatically without getting hurt. I'm tickled pink about how it's been working for me! An easy way to find out about heart rate training might be to read this FAQ made by a frequent poster on coolrunning : http://spaces.msn.com/formationflier/. If that interests you and you have a few (dozen) nights to devote to reading threads, you might want to check out the Low HR training/base-building ala Maffetone/Mark Allen thread on coolrunning. The SECOND (it got so huge they had to cut it off and start another) half of it is at : <al>http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum6/HTML/018553.shtml. My experience with the coolrunning threads (and running forums in general!) is that about 70% of what you read will be wrong for you, and that all of it needs to be read critically. That said, there's a lot of resources there if you're willing to wade through all the posts. Let me know what you think! Janell</al>

Thank you that was helpful. I have had simular experience as you have with my running. I first began running when I was young, in midel school. Later I joined the track and cross country teams in H.S, collage. After school I have been off and on. Never staying to it more thna a couple of years at a time. This last time off being my longest. In most casses I stopped running because of ankle trouble or shin splits. maybe I can now try using his idea's towards heart rate trainning, and keep at it a littel longer. Tongue
            Daddy's littel girl.
              I hope it works for you. It's been great for me! From what I've read, most runners could benefit from this type of program, but actually doing it's a little hard on the ego... I know it's been rough on mine - and I was unusually slow to start with! You going to join us in our "race" Saturday?

I have found many links, some helpful, others not. But enough to give me an idea of what I should shoot for at this point. I also found a like on cool runnings for a book by Maffetone wich I plan on buying next payday. I'd like to get it this week, but I must wait. The HR moitor was anready more than I should have spent this period. I do think I'll try for the vitural 5k this saterday. I'm quit sure my time will be the slowest here. But the challenge and fun is al worth it.... lol
                Daddy's littel girl.