B12 (Read 1288 times)

I'm a vegetarian and decided to start taking B12 supplements a few weeks ago and since then I've had amazingly high energy levels to the extent that I can go for a hilly off road run in the morning and swim  a couple of miles in the afternoon and not feel tired - something I've never been able to do in the past. I'm also finding that I can run at a faster pace for longer.  I'm wondering all if this is just a placebo effect or whether there really is a big boost from taking the B vitamin. The only other thing I can put it down to is that I gave blood several weeks ago and I read somewhere that the body sometimes over compensates for the loss of red blood cells after blood donation - a bit like altitude training. Wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences from B12 supplementation or giving blood - or is it all in the mind?!!

Paint your life in bright colours.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How long have you been a vegetarian?

Do you have a B12 deficiency?

The body does not overcompensate from blood loss, certainly in just a few weeks.

Been a veggie for over 20 years and I don't know if I have a B12 deficiency. How would it manifest?

Paint your life in bright colours.
        heather85

Been a veggie for over 20 years and I don't know if I have a B12 deficiency. How would it manifest?

For me, extreme fatigue.  I couldn't even handle half my previous mileage and I still crashed every day.  Just getting life stuff taken care of felt really tough.  And it wasn't just fatigue in a general sense but my legs felt lifeless.  They were tired climbing a single flight of stairs.  Fuzzy, confused thinking - like I knew I wasn't thinking clearly but I couldn't quite work my way through. Really confused, like a haze, enough that I had to have someone else point out it wasn't normal and asked me to go ask about depression.

I have thyroid problems, too, and this was much worse than that fatigue when it presented.

Also, my reaction time was really slow, though I didn't know that, the doctor saw it in the physical and it prompted him to test.  And no antidepressants needed. Wink

My levels were quite low, not just a little so I'm not sure how it varies.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How would it manifest?

An abnormal blood test for B12, changes on your red blood cells.  You may also have some nonspecific symptoms that everybody has, such as being tired.  If you think you have a B12 deficiency, get tested for it rather than just treating it willy nilly.

Hey! I only eat turkey (meat wise) and only about twice a month at that...I was also feeling really run down, foggy, etc. I self - diagnosed as Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome (ah, yes, I am an internet doctor!), after having about 5.5 months of severe stress.

Anyhow, about 2 weeks ago I started taking B12 supplements. I feel really good. Better than I have in a long time. Higher energy. less moody.

I went for a run last night and it was one of the best I have had in a long time. I felt like I could run forever and at a faster speed than usual. 

I also have been active twice a day, one morning doing an interval sculpt class and then that night doing a step class. Another day I ran in the morning and did an interval sculpt class that night.  A few weeks ago I would not have had the energy to do this. 

I have chalked up my energy to the B12 supplements. 

xor

If willy nilly is bad, is mamby pamby also bad?

A Saucy Wench

If willy nilly is bad, is mamby pamby also bad?

I think "bad" is too strong for namby pamby. Maybe less than ideal. And why is my formatting all f'd up?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

When it comes to running, I prefer hurly-burly.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Higgledy Piggledy.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

I don't know about B12 but that was the same response I had to high dose iron supplements that I started taking after I was diagnosed by my doctor through a blood test. Wink  Since B12 and blood are related, could be that your B12 was low, which is common in vegetarians, but it could also be a coincidence.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

#artbydmcbride

hibbity-jibbity   Blush

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The underside of the beer cap I just popped (Magic Hat Humble Patience) said Great Googly Moogly.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Who are all these people with strange names? Do they all come from the same place?

Or are they pandas? Every panda I've ever met has a name like Sing Sing or Pee Pee.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay