Cold run! (Read 912 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

^^  Which one of you is this guy's buddy? Joking

MTA: Wouldn't you know, new page.

^^  Which one of you is this guy's buddy? Joking

MTA: Wouldn't you know, new page.

Yeah, I don't see anyone up there.
        Another chance for the $18 Ed Hardy bikini!

Wandering Wally

Back to the OP:  Just keep experimenting to find your optimal layering strategy.  The sore calves were most likely not from cold, but from the different footing.  Mine do that if the snow is heavy or if the path has that "feedlot" texture.  It does take me a little longer to warm up when it's cold.  I just start at a gentle jog and speed up from there.  This morning it was 11F on my run and it was great.  Just about perfect.  Keep up the good work!  Running outside in the winter is pretty awesome.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

The windchill is -34*C or -26*F today. It's hard to get motivated to run by myself in that.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Encouragement welcome

Back to the OP:  Just keep experimenting to find your optimal layering strategy.  The sore calves were most likely not from cold, but from the different footing.  Mine do that if the snow is heavy or if the path has that "feedlot" texture.  It does take me a little longer to warm up when it's cold.  I just start at a gentle jog and speed up from there.  This morning it was 11F on my run and it was great.  Just about perfect.  Keep up the good work!  Running outside in the winter is pretty awesome.

Oh, I was on the same synthetic outdoor track I've been on for months.  No snow, no ice, just cold.  Smile  Same old thing as always.  My lower legs probably still have some muscle development to do, and I think that in my desire to get warm quickly, I started out too fast.  At one point my app said that I was doing a pace of something like 11 1/2 minutes per mile, and I am NOT ready for that yet.

Pace Goal : 14 mm

5k Goal: 40 minutes

10k, half, and marathon someday....

(Hey, I'm just getting started!)

Encouragement welcome

Wow... is it coincidence that there is an UnderArmour Cold Gear ad right above my post??

Pace Goal : 14 mm

5k Goal: 40 minutes

10k, half, and marathon someday....

(Hey, I'm just getting started!)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wow... is it coincidence that there is an UnderArmour Cold Gear ad right above my post??

No.

Wandering Wally

CanadianMeg - Brr!  -20F is my lower limit and then I just stay inside.  I can see why it would be difficult to get out.

Run!  Just Run!

Penguin Forever

I went for a 6-miler in 15 degree weather on Sunday. I'm slow, so the run lasted a while. After the run, I went and bought a cheap neoprene and fleece face mask (has a nose hole cut-out and breathing holes over the mouth); everything else I wore seemed to be just right - cold weather tights, long sleeve tech shirt under a short sleeve tech shirt, fleece headband, those cheapy knitted gloves. Smile

Wandering Wally

The one problem I run into that I haven't totally solved yet is how to keep my water from freezing in my handheld on long runs.  Depending on the temp it will freeze almost right away in the spout or take up to 60-90 minutes.  But either way it's annoying to be carrying around a bottle full of slush that I can't drink.  Currently, I fill it the night before and let it sit on the counter so it's at room temp before I leave.  Any other suggestions? 

Run!  Just Run!

Slo

The one problem I run into that I haven't totally solved yet is how to keep my water from freezing in my handheld on long runs.  Depending on the temp it will freeze almost right away in the spout or take up to 60-90 minutes.  But either way it's annoying to be carrying around a bottle full of slush that I can't drink.  Currently, I fill it the night before and let it sit on the counter so it's at room temp before I leave.  Any other suggestions? 

A little gatorade added to the water will drop the freezing point. Not much but some...salt will do it to...and Vodka.

Go to a bike shop, they have thermal lined bottles. Again, it won't stop it but it will stay liquid longer.

Carry your bottle upside down.

When I train for a spring marathon I drop a cheap thermos. To date nobody has taken it.

Don't stop at room temperature--put hot water in the bottle. It'll still cool down and freeze eventually, but will give you that much more time (especially if you use an insulated cover for the bottle).

Besides what's already been mentioned, check the type of nozzle in your handheld. Bottles differ in the size of the opening. Smaller ones clog faster than the bigger ones. (I was very frustrated when I first started running in colder temperatures and discovered this.)

Keep in mind that a handheld is held away from your body and will be more susceptible to cold than something in a waistbelt or in a jacket packet.

Can I assume that you're running somewhere around -20F and colder if you're getting slush in the bottle before the nozzle actually freezes so quickly? I'm asking because I can run for 1-2 hrs without slush (or minimal slush) in those temperatures - but I'm using a waistbelt, 24-oz bottle, starting with hot water, and putting a sock over the top of the nozzle. The nozzle may start freezing if I don't drink every 15min or so. I can't remember if I was using sportsdrinks or plain water. I know last year, the nozzle froze on me, but close enough to 2 hrs, that running the last 10min or so without water wasn't an issue.

MTA: Some of the thermal lined bottles don't have protection for the top part, others do.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Wandering Wally

I'm using a standard Nathan 24 ounce handheld.  Plain water.  No insulation.  Room temp in the winter is about 65.  Freezing problems start at 20F and then get worse the colder it gets.  On the warmer end I can go 2+ hours before the freezing starts and then I'm almost done anyway.  On the colder end of the spectrum the nozzle will freeze very quickly.  Sometimes I can thaw it out by blowing, sometimes not.  I was thinking dropping a couple shots of rum in there might fix the problem.  Not sure about the legality where I live though.  Technically I'd be running around with a cocktail.  We have a bike shop in town.  I'll go check out the insulated bottles.

Run!  Just Run!